Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hobbies do you have?

Options
2»

Comments

Cycling is my main hobby, fitness is a happy by product I simply love riding a bike for joy of it. I also love walking. Xbox some evenings, though now as much as I used to.

My wife and I do jigsaws this time of year maybe with a wine or beer sometimes. Pro tip if you have meddling kids who would just love to get their grubby hands on your precious jigsaws to "help" is you can buy a magnet/white board in Mr Price for very little money that will easily fit a 1500 piece puzzle on the kitchen table and can then be stashed under a couch/bed etc. safely !!!!! Nice way to spend a hour or so in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My body's a bit battered now for anything too physical, used to box , play a bit of football.

Nowadays, I keep tropical fish and collect American coins .

For years the house I live had a clear view of the mountains , herself bought me a fairly decent set of binoculars and a telescope and I spent hours stargazing or looking at the mountains , then developers built hundreds of bastard houses in front of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Vigilante justice is a great hobby and pastime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think those mens sheds look fantastic. Wouldnt mind going to one myself. Sound like they would be great craic and you would have access to tools to make stuff.

Friend of mine did a welders course in it even though he was never into DIY and he loved it.

Another thing if you can get a mate to go with you is camping. Just head off for the weekend somewhere scenic and rough it. Very boring to do alone though. If you can get a few mates even better. Bring plenty of beer. Something very peaceful about it.

I dont do any of them yet. Well I ave gone camping with the kids but they are too old now. All things id like to do when I get the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I have one quick suggestion, then I'll leave! 🙂 Family history! I've been researching my family and my husband's for decades. Every new piece of information, every new addition to my family tree has been nothing short of exciting. I have found out so much about my roots, and there is still more to discover. To start, you just need to start speaking to your oldest relatives and write down everything. Then you read the Genealogy forum here on Boards. Then with all the advice you find there you begin your life's work!! You'll thank me! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Stone collecting and a bit of shooting.

If you are at a loose end go for it !!! I'm a good few years away from the mens shed but during the crash in 2008 I found myself out of work and volunteered at one doing computer and IT skills 2 mornings a week. The amount of trading of skills that went on was nothing short of amazing. Fellas form all different backgrounds and professions passing on know how to others in the group. Chatting to a few of them the one they most looked forward to was the cookery class. Guys who might be on their own not looking after themselves diet wise would tell me it was a great class and a great way to pass a few hours in the evening cooking the meal they'd learned from scratch and then the trick of freezing the excess for another day they couldn't be arsed cooking.

Was a good way for guys who might live alone to be checked in on too and have some social contact, the social aspect to it was a big deal to many in the groups I met.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

Speaking of mens shed any folk here engage in mms?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can't beat a bit of fossil collecting!

@Vicxas I just looked at your post history, could a kit car be an option? My cousin (who's not an engineer but has disposable income got one and it looks like so much fun) I think it's like sailing though, which from my experience is like standing in a cold shower and throwing fifty Euro notes out the window.

But great fun.

Edit... and the car he has is epic. It's a Caterham 7 kit car. A really rudimentary, simple car, very old school self assemply two seater noisy & raw sports car. There's various iterations with small engines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check out what evening courses are on near you in july. could be photography, pottery, learning an instrument, hillwalking etc.; and they're usually quite cheap

i did a woodturning course years ago and now it's one of my primary hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ive developed a new hobby recently which i find to be fascinatingly entertaining and enjoyable. Im sure its going to catch on.

Westerns and whiskey.

Its simple. Get a bottle of whiskey and a glass, if its a school night maybe a small jug of water. Its low in calories and high in entertainment.

Put on a western and drink.

If you dont find that entertaining enough then add another dimension of refilling your glass every time someone gets shot. 3:10 to yuma, unforgiven, 1883 the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Cycling is mine and always has been since I was a kid. I used to race but now concentrate on touring/bike packing. I cycled the Royal canal last summer from Maynooth to Longford, wild camping for 2 nights. Pure bliss!! I'm currently planning a solo bike tour in France for next year.

For me, the kick I get from having the freedom to explore whilst getting fit is like a drug. I also hike a lot and did the Camino Portuguese 2 years ago on my own. I'm lucky that my wife encourages these hobbies (I'm sure she's glad to see the back of me at times!) as she see's the mental and physical benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

I collect hockey jerseys, not a cheap hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Fishing, I love catching wild predatory fish, pike, perch and trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hobbies..

Listening to music, playing music / going to live gigs, traveling, gaming, gym, reading, watching sports, watching films / series….

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I'll list my hobbies to hopefully give you some ideas, I'm mid forties

Motorbikes - have always enjoyed them, I buy and sell the odd one, meet up up with friends to go for a spin, few trips abroad etc. Also love repairing and restoring them

Krav Maga - really enjoy getting more flexible as I get older, also constantly learning new techniques, great physical and mental challenge, also it is good motivation to keep strong and fit outside of class.i would recommend any martial art for this reason, it's not just for young people! My teenage kids do it also, great fun and learning how to defend themselves at same time.

Gym- I do a couple of strength and conditioning sessions, along with a couple 5k runs weekly, to keep in shape for Krav.

Powered paragliding- I've always been into aviation, but could never justify (or afford) the cost associated with getting a pilots license and share in a small plane, so paragliding has scratched that itch, Ireland is even more beautiful from the air, especially along the coast.

Camping- I am lucky to have bought an old motorhome before they became crazy money, myself and family head off any fine weekend, the freedom is great

Mountain biking- myself and my teenage son have gotten into this recently, good fun, and depending on your location, there are some good dedicated mountain bike trails around Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Play games on the computer, make models (Static and railroad), shoot firearms, and I used to fly aircraft, but it's really bloody expensive and I've not done it since I bought a house and got a mortgage. Would like to get back into it, though.

Advertisement