Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel robbed from car

• 13-11-2022 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just came back from holidays to find my 07 Corolla up on a jack and the front passenger side wheel gone. Is it worth going through insurance to get a new one or am I better off just finding a replacement from a scrapyard? I'm located in West Dublin.

Guards have already been contacted and statement given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Just go to the scrapper in my opinion, do you know what the excess is on your policy?

I had an 05 Avensis years ago that needed a few tyres so I called into the local scrapyard and he sold me a set of alloys with 4 good tyres on them for €200, absolute bargain.

Best of luck, there is some sad scrotes out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Stick on the spare and go to a breakers, hopefully they'll have one with a decent tyre on it. Why in the name of jaysus would somebody Nicky a wheel off a gorilla.... The mind boggles 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’d say it was someone who came back from a trip and found they had a flat tyre and no spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

No idea. A neighbour also has a wheel stolen from their avensis a few nights before. His was left up on a brick. They must be after a full set of Toyota wheels!

The scrotes were nice enough to leave me the hubcap and all 5 wheel nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, the excess you would have to pay on your insurance policy when making a claim will probably cost more than the price of a rim and tyre. Just buy a replacement from a scrap yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Sad that they are even stealing old wheels and tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think they tend to target older cars because newer cars have their wheels attached with security nuts, so they need a special fitting for them

It's like the lads going after the catalytic converters, it's relatively low reward but the risk is small so it's an easy grab.

They can grab a wheel off a car in under a minute and if they do a couple of houses and get a full set then that's a couple hundred in the bank

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sounds like you got a free jack out of it as well 😂

Probably not worth getting the insurance company involved, doubt the excess will cover the replacement

Keep an eye on adverts, you'll probably be able to buy your wheel back in a day or two

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it a steel wheel or an alloy?

• Advertisement

Not the worst so. A wheel from an Auris 07+ or another Corolla will fit and they have the same wheel trim, older model Corollas and Yaris’s have a different stud pattern though, so won’t fit your hubs.

Oponeo do steel wheels if you're having difficulty getting one, obviously you'll have to get a new tyre as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

In General when it comes to your car insurance in this Country, unless you really have to, "Do Not Disturb". Go to a scrappers and pick up a replacement. And it may help to prevent a recurrence if you were to invest in a set locking wheel nuts / bolts.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Also check out tyre leader. Managed to get a new wheel off them for an 06 Clio

Down to the nearest scrapyard and get a tyre, wheel trim and OE wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Its hard to know. Mrs Blogs wrote off her car two years ago and we had a 20k claim paid out. Her insurance rose by the prinely sum of €60.

On the other hand our fridge freezer was took out this year by a power surge after a lightning strike in the area. After excess we got paid out €460, but our renewal shot up afterwards by €300!

It can depend on what kind of insurance cover was on the car,, you can insure against losing your no claim bonus, either in part or fully. Most Insurance company's offer "step -back" cover, or full 100% cover against loss of the no claim bonus. If you do not have any no-claims protection, then you go back to being treated as a first time insurance candidate, with the added weight of having lodged a claim. So your figure of increase of only €60, is perfectly believable, as is your story of the fridge freezer. And the fact is, your fridge story could apply equally to your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I have a 07 Volvo which had locknuts but after a tyre fitter damaged the key with the impact gun (only realised months later when doing other work) had to resort to drilling out all 4 locknuts. Nasty and time consuming job as the locknuts were hard as flint. Vowed to stay clear of locknuts in future as presumed no one would steal old alloy wheels so even more surprised some scumbag stole a steel wheel.

I've since observed a lot of newer cars and even those with fancy and expensive alloys don't have locknuts so presumed wheel theft wasn't that prevalent anymore.

Yes, you are not the first one to get caught with them. When they are new, you have some chance, but after the first time use,generally when a tyre (or tyres) need changing, and an overzealous tyre fitter gives it a "little bit higher torque..just in case) and thats it. Next time it has to come off, the lock nut slips, and thats it. The best lock nuts I ever saw were on an Audi A6 I once owned, the lock nuts had splined heads, so absolutely no problem removing them, there were several different nuts, with different Nrs of splines, so unless you had the correct one, it would not work. Just because your neighbour had the same car as yours, was no guarantee his nuts were the same as yours. But as for the other lock nuts I came across !!! first thing I do when I change my car (or any family members) I remove the lock nuts and replace them with standard. And I know I advised the original poster to fit them, but its a question of risk and prevention. Not an easy choice.

Don't bother with getting locknuts, as others have said they're more hassle than they're worth. They're almost as bad as bloody cable ties on wheel trims, boils my piss seeing them on cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sounds like trolling to be honest. Those wheels are worth nothing

I wish I was trolling. I know they're worth feck all, that's why I'm perplexed as to why someone would go through the effort of robbing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I meant the lads taking them are trolling. Not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

And they left you a free jack (€€) and the wheel nuts, without which the wheels are useless.

Cool story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’ve certainly heard of wheels, even steel ones, being stolen, usually someone stuck without a spare or needing a wheel to pass an NCT would nick one.

Same with Berlingos etc with the wheel accessible from underneath the car. Easy to steal and some people just can’t stop themselves when they see low hanging fruit, regardless of the value.

Two cars in the same area in quick succession? Most likely a coincidence.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

I had three wheel studs stolen from my car, off 3 different wheels. What was most confusing was, one was a lock stud.

And it definitely wasn't a case of them coming loose, as the tyres had been changed the week previous, and the tyre fitters torqued them correctly.

Wheel bolt or nuts I'd imagine, wouldn't be an easy job to nick studs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Nicky a wheel off a gorilla, wtf does that mean ?

• Advertisement

Nicking, it was a typo, gorilla (corolla), oh forget about it, it was a joke I forgot boards doesn't do jokes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Advertisement