Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise Bike Pedals

Options
  • 13-11-2022 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

This may be slightly off topic, but I'm trying to repair an exercise bike for a friend. One of the pedals is broken, and I thought I might replace it with one from scrap. However, when I checked the broken one against the ones on my own road bike I found that the threads are not the same. Two questions then: (a) do all exercise bikes use a pedal thread different to street bikes and (b) if so, do they all use the same one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Left and right pedals have different thread so you might be trying to fit a left where a right is needed or vice versa

I’ve never fitted a pedal to an exercise bike but I’d check the above if you haven’t already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should be the same.

the left pedal and right pedals have different threads. In that they are opposite direction

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Thanks for the responses. I know about the left/right threads, that's not the problem. The thing is that the exercise bike pedal uses a smaller bolt than a normal bike. In fact, I can slide the bolt of the exercise bike pedal through the threaded hole on my street bike cam without touching the edges, hence my question re bolt sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Well that’s a different issue. Your op just said problem with threads.

Looks like you need a specific pedal for this bike. You might find similar in other models of exercise bikes but you won’t find it in a normal bike.

There’s one caveat though. I’m assuming your street bike is not using some weird oversized pedals similar to ones that Shimano produced years ago. Unlikely I would say. If you took some pics it would help.

Post edited by hesker on

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Yeah, tks Hesker. No, my bike uses a normal pedal. I'll try taking the exercise bike pedal into a shop and see if they can match it. A bit awkward buying on internet, where the postage costs as much as the item. Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Bear in mind there are two common pedal thread sizes; 9/16'' which is used on every thing, road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids and most bikes from a 20'' wheel upwards and a 1/2'' which is common on small kids bikes.

The exercise bike might have the smaller one. Any decent bike shop will be able to check for you.

Advertisement