Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME course length being shortened?

Options
  • 14-11-2022 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Sorry I checked the main thread and it's not been active for a good few months. I heard a rumour that this course (secondary) is to change from a 2 year to a 1 year course, can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Doubt it, maybe a lower certification after one year (but with lower pay of course).

I think the main reason for the 2 years was to bring it from Diploma standard to Masters, with the introduction of the dissertation.

Someone told me In New York they had to do the masters within a certain timeframe after you graduate and start working.

It would fairly annoy current 2nd years if they brought it in though, so a way to make it fair would be lower pay after one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

The 2 year thing is absolute nonsense, having seen and read some of those dissertations they are not worth the paper they are written on. The 1 year was great for improving the socio economic background of teachers too, middle class students who's parents live in a communtable distance will be the mainstay for a while and that's not to anyone's benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Agree wholeheartedly. You need to have rich parents to become a teacher of general subjects today. Takes as long as a significant medical qualification.

Don't get me started on the 'dissertations'. What will get you a 'First' is all too often worthless. Every course is padded with mindless repetition and a huge emphasis on reflective practice which nicely bumps up the time involved for the student.

As a recruiter of new teachers and a TP assessor, I can assure you the two years is not reflected in the skills of the applicants. It does, however, give them lots more jargon.

There are lots of good aspiring teachers who have been let down by poor quality content at the expense of this repetition to enable the Colleges justify a two year course.

This is coming from somebody who did the traditional HDip many years ago and, hand on heart, got no benefit from that course either!

That being said, there are a few Colleges who run superb teacher training programmes, most notably St. Angela's. I notice that course has now extended to five years.

Also much of the problem with developing young teachers today is rooted firmly in the points system. If you can get the points, what does it matter if your physical education skills extend to tying your shoelaces? Or a woodwork teacher who is all thumbs, and, yes, if you want to know, I have seen more quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Thanks to all for your comments. Asking on behalf of someone in their early_mid 30s with a heavy maths based degree and long experience in financial industry looking to change careers and who would be a grwat teacher but with very young children, one year is more doable than 2 years. We'll see...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's awful. They're really after lessening the amount of people who can apply for the course. No way I would have done it if it were 2 years when I qualified. In other countries they'd pay you to get qualified in a highly sought after subject, and here they fleece you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'd be stunned if it hoes back to a year. Its a gravy train for the colleges who practically overnight were able to double their income when the PME was introduced. Remember their academics also produce all the "research" to justify the two years. The game is rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Theres no chance of it going back to one year! They have fleeced students for the last 10 years making them do the two years and once youve done it, teaching is so restrictive youre stuck in your lane for life, unless you want to go and try to be a school principal theres no career progression and the money is just about the living wage. You could train to be a doctor or solicitor in the same amount of time for the same amount of money and come out with guaranteed permanent secure employment and a very decent wage.

If your friend wants to work with young children there are other ways of going about that without getting into teaching, honestly she would be wasting time and money going down that route.

Its a 34 year old male maths grad with 10 years experience in the insurance sector and soon to be 2 young kids and looking for decent hours for young kids and ability to live outside Dublin. Not as simple as that but I do appreciate your point :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

95% the same content for everyone.

I did the PME in 2014-2016. We had one hour a week of each of our chosen subjects. The rest of the timetable (stuff like ethics, psychology of Ed., history of Ed. etc etc etc) were modules everyone completed the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Nail on the head.

The amount of "padding" in those modules was unbelievable. Heaps of fluffy theory, very little in terms of brass tacks. A blind man could see they were just filling out the time.

On top of that, if you added it all up we essentially spent 1 of the 2 years of the PME out on school placement.

No way should it be a 2 year course.

Is placement paid?

Not strictly but all Dips at the moment can do lots of paid hours, the crisis helps with that.

So much padding. I did the last year of the one year dip, I had another job and was teaching a fair amount in the school, sometimes full time for a few weeks at a go, absolutely no bother. 5000 word essays every few weeks, not onerous at all. The one really beneficial thing I did was an elective that wasn't graded in behavioural management (literally the most important thing, as opposed to some of the other nonsense). The rest has done very little to inform my practice as a teacher.

His experience in the insurance sector wont mean anything, sorry to be blunt, im not trying to be, its just a fact! Im not sure what you mean by "soon to be 2 young kids"? Maybe im reading it wrong but I dont know what that means.

For young kids, does he want to work in Primary? he will need to have proficient Irish in order to do the PME in primary level. He could do the PME in second level without the Irish but he will only be qualified to teach at that level and work with teenagers. If he wants to sub in primary as a secondary qualified teacher, he will only be paid the unqualified rate and will have no rights or increments. Primary teaching is by far easier to secure jobs in but he will still be subbing for years before securing a permanent role. Keep in mind, Summers and holidays arent paid unless you get a specific type of contract. Lots of teachers have to sign on during the Summer and arent entitled to any social welfare payments during midterms.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I did the BScEd - a 4 year concurrent degree. In my final year we were in the same classes as the PMEs for most lectures - history of education, psychology etc.

There is absolutely no need for the 2 years. Our class and the concurrent PE cohort were doing the same assignments and learning the same content as people who had paid 12K for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd love to change career to become a secondary teacher. I already have an ICT Masters from TCD and have worked in the IT industry in technical and managerial roles for over 20 years. In the past I'd looked at doing a 1 year HDip but with young children and mortgage the time was never right.

I've another 15 years of working life before retirement, am south Dublin based and I feel like I could offer a lot, but cannot afford to take two years out, moreover i really don't want to get into another masters level dissertation, once in a lifetime was enough!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sorry If I wasn't clear , I mean years of time in a long hours dublin based Job, now has a 20 month old and new baby coming in spring and the benefits are better hours - holidays and being able to work closer to home=more te with kids. Not withstanding he's very patient and would be a great teacher and very good at mathematical subjects. I wasn't suggesting experience would gain an advantage, I mean it has given a different perspective on what is important for him individually. You can say be a solicitor but that means long hours and commuting and less time with kids (also seems bit dull tbh but separate issue) my point is the grass isn't greener.

Thanks very much for your comment though

*more time with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kirby Puckett

I love the honesty in this thread. There are some very painful but necessary truths for people in PMEs.

• Advertisement

Sorry im not trying to be harsh, just being totally honest about the profession, theres no point in me singing its praises! so yes his hours in school will be shorter and he will have extra holidays but getting to the point where he'll get paid hoildays and a secure job takes years in some cases and some never catch a break and end up leaving the profession deflated and burnt out having never secured a permanent contract despite being wonderful teachers with a wealth of knowledge and great with the kids. Hard work and good rapport with the kids doesn't pay off in teaching allot of the time, im sorry to say that but it's true, theres allot of politics involved allot of the time!

I think its a big risk given that he has a young family, if it doesnt work out he has to go back to the drawing board. There are other professions he could look into that offer shorter hours and more security, for example he could do a masters in occupational therapy. That said, if his heart is set on teaching and he's nothing to lose then he should go for it! Maybe it will work out for him.

Really though it's just down to money.

Can he afford to take 2 years out, then start looking for work on 'potentially' 35k a year salary, and terrible pension prospects.

If yes then , sure, go for it, get a nice school and he'll have a very rewarding career.

If no then that's it really. It's not like giving up a few years to become a doctor or helicopter pilot, the financial risk to reward isnt great.

He'll save a bit on childcare during summer holidays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Helicopter pilot you say.....hmmmm now there's a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

This is untrue.

Starting salary for a second level teacher is now above €40k. On top of that is the opportunity to earn more as exam superintendent and markers.

People take time out and loans for career changes all the time. It's very common in the private sector as the nature of the economy changes.

Post edited by salonfire on

So what was your experience of starting out as a second level teacher salonfire?

Full hours and permanent contract I presume ! Sometimes I wonder do you imagine yourself as a teacher and then suddenly know the reality.

Also, how often have you seen NQTs invigilating or marking state exams in their first or second year teaching?

It does happen but not that often in my experience. Maybe as a last resort .

If I were you I'd stop guaranteeing permanent contracts, and summer work to people who are thinking of going into teaching. These are proper life altering financial decisions for someone with a young family, before posting you should be honest and let the person know "I'm not a teacher but this is what I think...".

You haven't ever taught a day in your life but yet you have the audacity to tell teachers how it is, not for any reason other than you're trolling this forum.

What's your own job by the way? Farmer, accountant, engineer?

What's your own monthly paycheck?

Keep on hurling in that ditch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Pointing out publicly available facts on the starting salary is not trolling. It's a pity it takes a non teacher to intervene and correct you.

The shortage of teachers is well documented. We can infer from that the chances of full time hours for graduates. You don't even need to have full time hours to be paid the full salary. Then CID must be given after two years.

It's all dependent on subjects and location. In or around Dublin with good subjects you will be permeant or as good as straight away, any teacher we have that's good is contracted quickly. I corrected pretty much straight away out of my Dip and there is plenty on work in July Provision/summer schools. My gross is decent, and I love my job.

I think subjects and location are the things to weigh. You can always make more money is theory but what does it cost in practice. Teaching offers lots of incentives if your into sport, or debating or chess or anything really, it's lovely to bring the your passions to a new audience.

Teachers often stay in bad schools too, I took career hits early in my career to find the right fit for me, I would hate my job if I'd stayed in my last school, an older person might be faster to know that about themselves too.

I'd recommend it as a job to anyone, it's social, engaging, you have a chance to really effect change, teenagers keep you young and the craic can be brilliant. I had other jobs before. Having a kid turn around after 6 years and ace an exam you've slowly built their confidence and ability towards is a usefuly way to spend your time. It's not for everyone and schools are very, very different. The skill set required for private schools is vastly different from the one needed in a DEIS in a city centre, different teachers suit these environments. A lot of unhappiness in teaching, from what I've seen comes from a mismatch in this or plain old bad management. Not necessarily the job at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Not one single teacher that I know started on anything like 40 grand. You have a habit of rearing your head in these conversations and trotting out the same lines. Why don't you quit your job and become a teacher? Really, that's not a rhetorical question. Why haven't you quit your job to leap aboard the gravy train? Those short hours, big paycheques and long holidays you bang on about are surely enough to convince you.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

By the way, has anybody considered the possibility that the reason there's a shortage of teachers is that people are leaving the job in droves? In my school of about 65 teachers, eight went job-sharing this year for the first time (including me), only one of whom has young children. Another 5 took 'career breaks,' and we are unlikely to see them again. We had so many early retirements that we had to reduce the sum collected per retiree to a fiver or the staff wouldn't have been able to cough up.

I hear an awful lot of talk of business ideas, pipe dreams really, because so many people are desperate for a way out. A friend has begun therapy because she wants to find her way to either be content with her job or summon the courage to leave.

I want to get out but I can't see the way at the moment. I dream of a job that would leave me with quality free time. I look ahead and the future of teaching fills me with real dread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was you 1-2 years ago. Took a leap and am so, so much happier. I have my weekends and evenings back. I work flexi time and can go to a dentist at 9am and not have to beg someone to cover my class. I can eat lunch without watching the clock, wondering if I have the photocopying done or if someone is going to knock on the door and ask about something. I work from home 3 days a week. I can go on holidays at cheaper and colder times of the year. I'm reading books again!

I used be the poster a few posts up who found teenagers kept them young, and the craic was great. I was in a very good, academic school. But it's a career with a high burn out rate. People are just waiting for the next midterm so they can sleep. And then they hear in the media how terrible, lazy teachers are. I don't even read those articles any more. I absolutely loved it for a few years. But I wouldn't be recommending someone in their mid 30s pay €15k for that job. If it were one year, €6k I'd say go for it. Be grand for a few years anyway. Definitely try and get them to do some work experience or something first before taking the leap.

And yes, I miss the 3 months off. But I've a much better work/life balance.

Advertisement