Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 NFL regular season thread - discussion (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,492 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Purdy was decent in college but he's not very big and I think he'll struggle as soon as defenses figure him out.

They signed Josh Johnson who might be a perfect fit for them so long as he's not asked to hold onto the ball in the pocket. He's not great at reading the field but he's accurate and he's a good runner. He's getting on now so we'll have to see how much he has left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Gone from a top Super Bowl contender being pretty dangerous on both sides of the ball to hopefully make the playoffs and then get a run of luck that the defense pulls the team through.

Incredible how unlucky this team and Jimmy gets with injuries.

Yesh, they seem cursed the last few years.

I see Mayfield was cut by the Panthers. Both he and Rosen are now free agents. Wouldn't be the worst idea to bring in both to see if one is capable of working as a game manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Hopefully we (Niners!) roll with Purdy...looking likely too. 3 wins from 5 probably gets us that division then anything can happen. I trust Purdy with 4 years of college a lot more than Lance with his 1 year. And the team is rallying around him. He's not tall, he aint going to throw 60 yards down the field, but that's not the Niners anyway. Mayfield doesn't fit into that locker room...and the Niners are way down the waiver list. Rosen was there already a while ago and they reached for Johnson, more a solid old guy for Purdy to bounce off. Never easy with the Niners though...on the plus side, if Purdy is pretty good, that'll make the offseason even more interesting with 3 QB's in the mix for the starting job (yes that includes Jimmy who could still return as a free agent...still further news to come out about his foot which may not be as bad as initially thought).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I suspect the 49ers had a claim on Baker but in any case he didn't get close to them. Baker to the Rams. Not sure what good it does them with a beaten up team as it is and no chance of the play offs. Guess it wasn't like they could tank either so why not.

• Advertisement

Nobody but the Rams had a claim on Baker! As a Niners guy, phew!

Raiders have only themselves to blame for last night. They should have been at least 20 points up entering the fourth quarter.

They went with the ground game all night and it wasn't working very well.

They only threw the ball 20 times with 11 completions for 137 yards. About a third of those 20 attempts were for Adams, accounted for the low completion rate, which was insane with Ramsey on him. He had some incredible catches but you have to spread the ball around more. Foster Moreau wasn't targeted once in the red zone, he's a serious threat there. Jacobs averaged under 4 yards per carry.

That game should have been won easily, instead all the headlines are about Mayfield leading a long game winning drive.

I think it's time for the GOAT to retire.

As we stand right now including this game and where it's at right now he's thrown 9 TD passes in 9 games. There's no excuse for the last couple of weeks as he has a healthy group of receivers and running backs and a decent rookie tight end.

He's not playing awful but he's clearly starting to regress.

Have to give kudos to Mike White, he's shown a great attitude and toughness over his three starts. At his current rate he'd be throwing for over 5000 yards for a full regular season. He was hurt today, came back in after a couple of plays and then it looked like he was out for the rest of the day but came back from the locker room and went back in. He was clearly not 100% but toughed it out.

I'd love to see him keep it up. It's the year for those QB's who were afterthoughts with Geno Smith leading the way and then Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton and I suppose we can include Jimmy G and then Taylor Heinicke, White and now Mr Irrelevant Brock Purdy from this year's draft.

I really liked Purdy at Iowa State last year but I thought he was too small and a bit loose with his throws but he's looked excellent so far. Long may he keep it up.

I have a weakness for the underdog makes good stories.

Tua stinking up the joint in the first half. He's 3 of 15 for 25 yards at halftime. Its17-7 Chargers. Fin's TD came on a crazy play where Wilson rushed, fumbled and Tyreek Hill grabbed it and ran 57 yards.

• Advertisement

23-17 Chargers. Tua was poor, in fairness the Chargers D looked very good.

Chargers struggled in the red zone, Herbert had 367 yards and only one passing td, they had one rushing td as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Both play off races are starting to look a bit mad.

Guessing Chiefs, Bills, Ravens and Bengals are essentially in assuming half decent play for the remainder.

The remaining two wc spots seem to be between Dolphins, Jets, Chargers and Pats. Dolphins have 1 game edge, Chargers have a relatively easy schedule.

AFC South is likely going for the Titans but if they don't get out of their current funk the week 18 mat h vs Jags could be for the division.

NFC has Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers and Vikes likely in. Two remaining WCspots between Giants, Commanders, Seahawks and Lions. Lions on a surge but a little back in the standings. Giants and Commanders with the slight edge due to their draw. I don't want to even guess the NFC South right now.

Dan Campbell looks like a really good coach. The Lions are on the rise and everybody is putting in a premium effort. He got rid of some players in the off-season that raised some eyebrows but the replacements have all done a decent job. He had a good draft. Last year he warned Goff that his place was not secure and the response has seen him play consistently well. Goff has improved his completion percentage, he's top 8 in passing yards and QB rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

goff was always decent. i thought he got threw under the bus by McVay.

First time I've ever felt bad for Brady was yesterday. He really loves the 49ers, even taking pictures of storage rooms in the stadium, and had so many family and friends there yesterday. Would be shocked if he doesn't try to get there this offseason to retire with his childhood team - he hasnt looked good recently but Bucs have fallen apart offensively and if he came super cheap I wouldnt say no.

Very happy with how Purdy looked. Loved his aggressiveness in taking the more risky pass for a bigger gain, something that Jimmy has always struggled with. We've seen Mullins have a great first start under Kyle and then fall apart as the season progressed. With a win this Thursday they lock in a division title and at least the 3rd seed so he can deal with potential growing pains in the run up to the playoffs without too much pressure.

That first half was some of the best Niner football since New Orleans 2019! Purdy played yesterday how we (Niner fans) all think or hope Trey Lance could play one day. Says it all who the starting qb should be next year. Brock is there already. Unless he completely melts down between now and the playoffs but everything is pointing towards a solid guy where very very little phases him. For once, I'm not worried about QB performance going into January football...more worried about injuries surprise surprise. Niners can live & win without Deebo for a while, right now, CMC is more impactful. Win the west this Thursday then look at other results...if the 2 seed is there for the taking, you gotta go for it, which means starters need to play full on...and Bosa is going for that DPOY. Extra home game & maybe another is important.

Love the positivity but I'm nowhere near there yet on Purdy. It was a great performance but we regularly see that from rookie QBs dropped in before defenses figure them out a bit. He saw a lot of blitzes the last two weeks and I'm guessing that wont continue. The Bucs defense was also missing a few starters coming in and then lost a few more during the game. The performance definitely made me feel a lot better about the team being competitive in the playoffs.

On any comparisons with Lance, I agree his aggressiveness is what we hoped to see with a move to Lance but the difference in arm power has been on display a few times already. Purdy will need to keep up those type of performances for the rest of the season if there is even going to be a legitimate discussion of him being the starter going forward (guaranteed there will be some sort of discussion either way as the team drives clicks).

Yeah I think you got it there with open space to throw to. He was a bit loose at times with his throws in college so when there's good coverage and he has to fit it into a tight window you'll know what you've got. He has looked really good so far. If he can be accurate there's nothing stopping him. His height is a slight concern but he won't the first guy under 6' 3" to be successful.

The big question mark is can he stay healthy with the way your season has gone.

Kyler Murray out if the game on the first drive of the game. Hard to know exactly what happened, there was no contact with a player as he slid down on a QB run.

Prater missed a kick. 0-0, Patriots on their first drive now.

Some poor play from Deandre Hopkins and Colt McCoy helped the Patriots get back above .500 and keep their playoff hopes alive. Defense was fantastic tonight. Uche had a great night and now has double digit sacks, Judon has 14.5 sacks after tonight.

Big concern is Rhamondre Stevenson going down early. Pierre Strong did a great job with his opportunities but we need Rhamondre.

Suspicions that Kyler Murray may have torn his ACL.

• Advertisement

Typical 49ers, Brock Purdy questionable for tomorrow night with oblique and ribs. They are connected and would affect the throwing motion.

Post edited by eagle eye on

Purdy active tonight, a relief for the niners. I hope he's fully recovered, if he's not then one hit in the wrong spot could be very painful.

George Little loves playing against the Seahawks. 93 yards so far tonight and 2 TDs. I'd guess a lot of his best days have come against Seattle.

Niners win the division with a handy enough win. McCaffrey was excellent tonight, the D was excellent too. Purdy was basically a game manager and did a good job. Kittle destroyed Seattle again with 4 catches for 93 yards and 2 TDs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hard not to be exceptionally happy with that. Whatever about Purdy's ability to play under a team without such a suffocating defence and offensive weapons...he has those and he is using them very well to win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

That was a solid win, didn’t have to do too much, defense is just immense, they suffocate teams.

Purdy is looking like a really solid player now, he doesn’t have to do a lot but he is doing what needs to be done, he is mobile, he has self belief, I like him.

He also should have a few interceptions from this game and the last but got lucky, it will happen which is normal, the real test is how he reacts, I think he will be ok

As I've said a couple of times he threw some loose ones in college but it never affected him. He's very competitive.

Bosa has really come alive in.thebsecond half of the season, he'd be my favourite for DPOY now.

The McCaffrey trade has been the game changer for the team that I expected/hoped it would be. Lot of noise that they'd overpaid but he just provides an outlet for the QB that helps them avoid 3rd and longs, which really hurt them earlier in the season. The defense at that point was playing close to as good as it was now but drives kept stalling.

They'll push for 2nd seed now after how much being on the road all of last year hurt them by the time they made the conference championship but the next 3 games really give them a nice window for more live reps for Brock and the team to gel and potentially make some mistakes before hitting the playoffs.

Yeah McCaffrey makes a huge difference. You wouldn't need him if Mitchell could stay healthy but he just can't seem to do that.

If you can get him back for the playoffs it'll be huge. Defenses are very tough the further you get and being able to give RBs a break during the game makes a hell of a difference.

It's mad to see two of your former backs as joint starters for Miami, nothing wrong with whoever is scouting RBs for the niners.

• Advertisement

Disagree on Mitchell - he is great and wouldn't be too far off when it comes to running the ball but he doesnt provide the WR skills that McCaffrey does. The ability for McCaffrey to turn checkdowns into positive plays and even to make catches further down the field completely changes the team.

Advertisement