Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work taking a toll: time to move on?

Options
  • 14-11-2022 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

First job out of college, been there 5 years now, really enjoyed it before COVID (fun, relaxed, shared work load) companies grown considerably but is mismanaged so a lot falls back on me. Manager took a very hands off approach during the pandemic, but we were busier than ever so I would generally start early and finish late (not told to but work wouldn't be done otherwise) picked up lots of bad habits, working through lunch etc. Manager was always quite laid back (until **** hit the fan once but that's another story) they are retiring next year so I understand somewhat but recently they are almost completely checked out now, doesn't care about their own "work" I would routinely check and reply to their emails etc. but recently changed system so I can't access their account (not complaining) but there are days they don't even log in... Very demotivating.

I did voice this to my manager (workload, work/life balance issues) but obviously not the issues they bring to it...

Not sure what to do, taking it's toll now. Could not sleep last night thinking of everything that needs to be done. 

Sliver lining is that it's well paid, not sure I'd be able to match the salary/benefits elsewhere or even know where to begin looking.

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Spear. You could at least mention the forum it has been moved to. You are new so best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Who is actually asking you to work longer than a normal hours.

What happens if you don't?

What happens if the work doesn't get done?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭thefa

That’s the thing. There’s a balance between being diligent and putting in some extra hours now and then to get the job done versus constantly doing the work of others/would be additional heads.

I’ve never been one for leaving on the dot and was in quite a similar position in my first job. I was mad to prove myself and a few wiser heads had no issue with me lightening their workload. Was lucky to have a good manager and co-worker and things got back to a workable level.

It goes without saying that you should start cutting back on your availability and prioritse more ruthlessly. Get what you can done in that time and their headcount issue will be highlighted.

This is probably an accountants way of looking at things but I’d suggest doing some research into what you could actually get elsewhere. Divide your those expected benefits after tax and get it back to an hourly rate (at a more reasonable workload). Do the same for your current after tax benefits based on your current workload. The difference mightnt be as much as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Normally I'd say get the hell out of there - but you did say that this person is retiring next year. In that case there will be a position open and you are in a good position to move into that I would think?

Sounds like the manager has checked out already, might be worth taking the pain for a few months if it will lead to a more senior position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's your career plan? Do you have the experience to be a credible candidate for the manager's job? Is that what you want to do?

What happens if parachute someone into the managers role ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

If the managers job is something you'd like to take when he leaves, then I'd very much recommend starting to advocate for it - it can happen that those who put in the effort that you currently are are not automatically acknowledged or rewarded for doing so.

Arrange a chat with your manager and be fortright about your desire to replace him (when he leaves) - it should go up the chain and they'll start thinking of you in that role

Often people working their butt off just assume everyone else sees it. ...or values it. Often everyone else is too wrapped up in themselves to notice or pay attention. You have to self promote.

Advertisement