Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Competency Interview Tips

• 15-11-2022 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello All,

I am just wondering if a job informs you that an interview is “not competency based”, what exactly does this mean? Does it mean that the interview is more casual and more of a chat?

If anyone has any experience of this kind of interview then any help would be much appreciated! 😊

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It simply means that it is not a test of your technical competencies to do the job. So you can expect very few in-depth questions about your area of expertise, if any at all.

The objective is for them to get a feel for you and how they see you fitting into their organisation and team. Since the outcome is important to you I would not treat it as casual. The interviewer or interviewers will have certain issues they want to assure themselves that you will capable of dealing with. For instance there may be some difficult or unpleasant people you might have to deal with and they will want to be satisfied that you will be able to handle them.

For example, on one occasion as part of an interview process I was introduced to a maths guy called Pavel. He asked me a question which I answered and asked hime one in return. He go up and started writing formula on a white board.... after a few minutes it was obvious to me that he was away in his own little world and had forgot I was in the room! I let him rabbit on for twenty minutes or so before I closed out the interview rather than him. Afterward I was asked by the team leader what I thought, I indicated that I though a major unwritten requirement of the job was to act as a minder for Pavel. Which was confirmed!

Seeming how someone might fit into the existing organisation is often a very big part of the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Competency based interviews are a specific style of interview

Basically based on stories that follow a template. Less focus on technical skills and qualifications. I'm not a fan personally.

If it's NOT competency based it just NOT following that template. Could be anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've hired a few people into my team/area and we have between 3 and 4 interview rounds. Max 1 would be competency based interviews (ie give me an example of).

The others would be tech languages based, business analysis/business case question (sample business theory and worked questions, last for 1hr plus), meet the team interview, etc. Any data analyst/data scientist/risk manager/business strategy etc role would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 plane2556

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Would anyone happen to have any idea what sort of possible questions could be asked? I’ve always used the STAR method in interviews as every interview I have done was practically competency based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

You could get asked to take them through your CV, choices you've made in education and job changes, etc.

You might be asked to talk through your experience gained in a particular previous role, they may ask questions about your experience but not in competency style. (Have you done X, how did you find working on Y, what experience have you in Z?)

They could ask you about your strengths, weaknesses, motivations, achievements, etc.

They will also likely ask why this company and why this role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭screamer

Try Googling the company name and interview and see what you find. Might help. I’ve personally never conducted or indeed been interviewed in a non competency style. Good luck, don’t let your guard down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why do you want the job, and why should they hire you?

If its at all mid level or above, what will your approach and priorities be?

Advertisement