Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW Hybrid petrol plug in

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

For that money you’d get the facelift version with the bigger battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Do you have a driveway at home.....

If so for 100 kms a day a Kia Niro EV, MG4, Cupra Born and various other EV options will work well and be brand new.

And what's the budget....

You've linked to a 45 k car but is 45 your top budget.

Because if your budget were mid 50s then you could get into a new Tesla if that floats your boat.

Edit

What's important to you in a new car?????.

While many posters here are pro EV you don't need to buy an EV or hybrid.

ive been looking at these too, most of my driving is short trips to shops with the maybe weekly spin of less than an hour over and back again (say 80km return typical) and the odd trip west that would demand 250km mainly motorway.

im not in the budget for new anything unless theres a mad reason to do so, given the above mileages

and im not in a massive hurry to change from the trusty diesel focus, but we have a driveway and a charger already so its nagging at me to be thinking about a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's an EV + HEV forum so I presume by the poster asking here rather than motors, they are interested in EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Personally at 45 k (as in the price of the car you linked to) 100 kms daily and charger at home.

I would have the EV.

The only reason to go PHEV in your case is if you really want something - like the 5 series - that doesn't come in full EV.

• Advertisement

Yes agree on the above.

There's an i4, i7 and iX. I'd say the i5 isnt too far away. I'd hold off on buying any phevs, they will look super outdated really soon. They already kinda do!

for clarity, im not near 100km daily! its the odd, maybe weekly, longer drive i take.

fair enough on the phev its probably the way im leaning myself - tho i think the 530e is lovely, for the record!

but with a car thats paid for and does the job already in the drive, its hard to make a case for a change (even second hand) to an EV on the mileage im doing i think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's not sustainable to swap to an EV just for the money.

Consider an EV if you are changing cars no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I was thinking of a 530e recently for around the 40k mark but went full EV brand new for around same price, Cupra Born.

530e is a lovely car but the one thing that swayed me away from it would be plugging in after nearly every journey to keep range up, I could see myself getting fed up of that so went full EV even if it's not a car in the same class but I'm very happy I did.

Yes. It's never sustainable to switch cars to save money. If changing anyway, then an EV is the best choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement