Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 General Tournament Discussion Thread

• 15-11-2022 3:40pm

I have not seen a thread for this,well not one solely for football related chat anyway.... maybe no one cares!!

Obviously there are moral obligations to this world cup and I think most of us are in general agreement that it pretty much stinks, that said, I will be honest and say I will be watching.

Very much an open tournament, hard to call the winner with 7/8 teams having a genuine shout, every squad seems to have some weaknesses to be honest.

Brazil - seem to be the favourites, not lost a lot the last few years and with the likes of Neymar, Vinicius Jr, Rodrygo etc they will be very good going forward, brilliant keepers also. Definite weaknesses too, Fred starting, Richarlason is good but not elite class, Dani Alves still in the squad, Thiago Silva is brilliant but 7 games is a lot in a few weeks.

Argentina - finally seem to have help for Messi with Martinez, decent midfield with Paredes and De Paul, hard to beat. On the flip side Otamendi still starts and that does not look like a team with much pace.

France - would have been my favourites before the injuries to Kante and Pogba, the two young lads at Madrid are very good but still a big ask, squad looks very imbalanced with about 10 cb's - they do have Mbappe and Benzema though so!!

England - very good going forward, on paper at least, bellingham and Rice look solid in the middle with a Mount type. Defensively is the big concern with cb's and keeper looking problematic, also likely going to need Southgate to show a bit more ambition at some point

Germany - they may actually have the most balanced squad in the tournament, very solid. However, there is no obvious Kane, Benzema, Lewandowski type to score the bulk of goals, Musiala (what a player), Muller, Havertz etc will likely need to chip in with 3-4 goals each.

Spain - will pass every other team off the pitch but look vulnerable to a counter attack, lack goals overall with Morata probably starting but they will be hard to beat

Belgium - KDB is arguably the best in the world right now but it does feel the golden generation has missed their chance

Portugal - top players with Silva, Ronaldo, Felix, Cancelo etc but they always seem very boring to me, bit like England in the sense that they will need to take some chances to win it.

Holland - they don’t look equipped to win it but they can get a fairly handy draw to the quarters at least if all goes to form.

Mentions to Croatia, Uruguay, Denmark and Switzerland, any of them 4 could beat the top 8 on a good day I would think.

So, who do we think will win it?

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Will the forum be open to everyone like normal? I'm reporting this post to mods to get an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can the mods update the title to remove the (Qualification) and keep that long thread going for the final month 😀

honestly I don’t know, it’s in the soccer forum so assumed it would be just be in there but will let the mods do whatever needs to be done.

cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The forum won't be open to all.

In the past a sub-forum was created to bypass the need for soccer access. Doing something like that again would be a consideration for admins of the site.

They can see the reported post anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

We can use this one, better to have people land on tournament discussion than qualification discussion. Thanks for starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I fancy the Argies to win it and Serbia to suprise some people and possibly get a semi final place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We can use this one as the Main Thread.

I've Stickied it to make it more visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

harry Kane for top goal scorer again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Group Games, All Games on RTE along with the UK channels listed

Sunday 20th November

Group A

Qatar V Ecuador - (16:00) - BBC One

Monday 21st November

Group A

Senegal V Netherlands - (16:00) - ITV

Group B

England V IR Iran - (13:00) - BBC One

United States of America V Wales - (19:00) - ITV

Tuesday 22nd November

Group C

Argentina V Saudi Arabia - (10:00) - ITV

Mexico V Poland - (16:00) - BBC One

Group D

Denmark V Tunisia - (13:00) - ITV

France V Australia - (19:00) - BBC One

Wednesday 23rd November

Group E

Germany V Japan - (13:00) - ITV

Spain V Costa Rica - (16:00) - ITV

Group F

Morocco V Croatia - (10:00) - ITV

Belgium V Canada - (19:00) - BBC One

Thursday 24th November

Group G

Switzerland V Cameroon - (10:00) - ITV

Brazil V Serbia - (19:00) - BBC One

Group H

Uruguay V Korea Republic - (13:00) - BBC One

Portugal V Ghana - (16:00) - ITV

Friday 25th November

Group A

Qatar V Senegal - (13:00) - BBC One

Netherlands V Ecuador - (16:00) - ITV

Group B

Wales V IR Iran - (10:00) - BBC One

England V United States of America - (19:00) - ITV

Saturday 26th November

Group C

Poland V Saudi Arabia - (13:00) - ITV

Argentina V Mexico - (19:00) - ITV

Group D

Tunisia V Australia - (10:00) - BBC One

France V Denmark - (16:00) - ITV

Sunday 27th November

Group E

Japan V Costa Rica - (10:00) - ITV

Spain V Germany - (19:00) - BBC One

Group F

Belgium V Morocco - (13:00) - BBC One

Croatia V Canada - (16:00) - BBC One

Monday 28th November

Group G

Cameroon V Serbia - (10:00) - ITV

Brazil V Switzerland - (16:00) - ITV

Group H

Korea Republic V Ghana - (13:00) - BBC One

Portugal V Uruguay - (19:00) - ITV

Tuesday 29th November

Group A

Netherlands V Qatar - (15:00) - ITV

Ecuador V Senegal - (15:00) - ITV

Group B

IR Iran V United States of America - (19:00) - BBC

Wales V England - (19:00) - BBC One

Wednesday 30th November

Group C

Poland V Argentina - (19:00) - BBC

Saudi Arabia V Mexico - (19:00) - BBC

Group D

Australia V Denmark - (15:00) - BBC

Tunisia V France - (15:00) - BBC

Thursday 1st December

Group E

Costa Rica V Germany - (19:00) - ITV

Japan V Spain - (19:00) - ITV

Group F

Canada V Morocco - (15:00) - BBC

Croatia V Belgium - (15:00) - BBC

Friday 2nd December

Group G

Cameroon V Brazil - (19:00) - ITV

Serbia V Switzerland - (19:00) - ITV

Group H

Ghana V Uruguay - (15:00) - BBC

Korea Republic V Portugal - (15:00) - BBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well Russia has just dropped bombs in Poland.

So will WW3 start now stop the World Cup days before it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Who we reckon is going to be top scorer,

I'm torn between Messi ,Mbappe & Benzema

Nkunku the latest big name player out of the World Cup through injury.

Danish TV threatedned by Qatari officals.

Qatar World Cup organisers apologise after threats to a Danish television crew

World Cup organisers have apologised to a Danish television station whose live broadcast from a street in Doha was interrupted by Qatari officials who threatened to break their camera equipment.

Journalists from the TV2 channel “were mistakenly interrupted” late on Tuesday evening, the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy acknowledged in a statement. “Upon inspection of the crew’s valid tournament accreditation and filming permit, an apology was made to the broadcaster by on-site security before the crew resumed their activity,” organisers said...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The fake fan videos are hilarious. They're fooling nobody with those actors pretending to be fans. Comical stuff.

I guess there will be no World Cup Totty thread for this World Cup not because of it not PC but simply down to the lack of skin that will be on show and the risk of getting life imprisonment for showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think Argentina myself, but France or Belgium could do it, for the 1st mid-season WC its a complete unknown who'll emerge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Germany look a good price at 10/1. They were no hopers in the last euros, going stagnant years before under Lowe, who should of left after they won the world cup.

Like Italy they'll always be there or there abouts generally, and they are slowly improving. Going very much under the radar suits them, and I think they'll come on hugely as the tournament progresses.

No one really giving them a chance, but I could see them lifting the trophy come the end of the tournament. All the favourites look to have a soft underbelly to me, could see Germany doing a job on the lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don't fancy France to do it this time. They have an embarrassment of riches up front even without Nkunku, but they look pretty average everywhere else.

There's no denying the talent of Tchouameni, Camavinga and Konate, but it's their first World Cup and to expect them to win it out is probably a step too far this year.

Mbappe got all the headlines in 2018 but it was really their defence that won them the tournament, and it's simply not as good this time around IMO.

Same story with Belgium, the age profile of their star players isn't right for them to do any better this year. Their big chance was in 2018 and it didn't quite work out.

Argentina for me. They tick every box of a traditional World Cup winning team; good mixture of energy and experience in the squad, determination and grit, a superstar player who can be the difference in tight matches and most of all, the current squad now have tournament winning experience. Brazil should be thereabouts too, but they always seem to have one poor performance in them at every World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I must say I'm looking forward to it. Very curious to see how the time of year affects it. Perfect to sit in on a cold wet evening or in a pub To watch a few games, unlike the summer where you feel you are wasting the good weather.

The lack of buildup has meant it kind of snuck up on everyone but once it kicks off I think everyone will get I on it. Pubs will be busy in the weeks up to Christmas with people watching leading nicely into Christmas season.

I fancy France again. I'd have them less favourites than they were due to losing Kante and pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would say France except history shows back to back ain't easy and often leads to hilarious flops.

The Dutch had a strong but quiet qualification and can see them go far along with Serbia who have very good players in key positions.

I can't bring myself to admit Brazil and Argentina are favourites as I can't stand either of them.

Mane offically out of the World Cup now he won't be recovered in time to play any part.

Nico Gonzalez out the Argentina sqaud as he hasn't recovered from his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Seems to be very quiet here considering the tournament is starting in a few days time! Seems to be in line with the public mood, probably the least anticipated World Cup.

Sad news about Mane, I had high hopes of them making good progress but without him I can see them struggling to get out of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think the WC will be Ok once it gets going. There has been no build up to it t all, there was literally EPL games last Sunday, and WC games a week later, rather than the typical month long build up in the media. Once the games start people will (rightly or wrongly) forget a lot of the negative press and just watch the games. It's also hard to know how quickly players will kick into tournament mode, and how well drilled the teams will be in the round robin stage in particular, we might see a couple of shocks as teams find their feet.

It's right and correct that any human rights violations re highlighted, but the clamour in the media is slightly hypocritical imho. There is some talk about migrant workers, but from many media outlets, from Britain in particular, that normally don't give 2 sh1tes about migrant rights in their own country. There is an air of when the WC is not in Western Europe there is something wrong, was the same in USA 94, +JapOrea 02(non football countries have no right to host it), South Africa (crime, you'll all be killed and robbed), Russia 2018, was actually quiet enough in the build up, now Qatar, you can't have a pint or hold your boyfriends hand. There are obviously human rights issues in Qatar, buy they are very similar to one's in Saudi and UAE, ant the UAE in particular are a great bunch of lads, big grand prix there this week an Sheik Mohammed owns half of Kildare, and not much about human rights breaches there at all.

Hypocrisy all around, and a bit of latent racism thrown in.

Outside of the utterly boring 1 city host with it's historyless and temporary stadia you also have a lack of interest from the media who have other things to do.

Usually TV stations are winding down shows in the summer because they know it's not peak TV time and governments are also on breaks so the media are mad to push the World Cup as the only story in town. Similar to that advertising pushes it mad because they want us to buy things in a slow period but now are busy selling us Christmas.

The World Cup in November is a distraction at a time when we don't need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd argue that a world cup in November is easier to watch than in summer.

Leaving aside the corruption, human rights etc, what better to watch than Wall to wall football over the long November nights! Much better than pulling the curtains of a sunny July evening to try to watch it.

Light the fire, turn off East enders, make a cuppa and watch Equador v Saudi or whoever is on. What could be better! Europa League??? 🙄😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Advertisement

Hopefully Budweiser take FIFA to the cleaners for breaches of contracts.

They have known for 10 years the World Cup would be in Qatar and they ban beer two days before it starts after taking hundreds of millions in sponsorship money off Bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Starting to wonder just how much fake noise they'll be piping into the stadium and the broadcast feeds at this rate.

The atmosphere at this World Cup will be something similar to an Under 21s tournament but they'll be doing their best to hide that fact.

I was hoping to enjoy this tournament as much as possible but every bit of news coming out of Qatar is just killing any excitement I had. An utter farce of a World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Beer now officially banned from inside the stadium perimeters.

Not to worry though, you can still have Bud Zero!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

With kick-off times of 10:00, 13:00, 15:00 and 19:00 for those of us lucky enough to have a job, there'll be huge challenges in watching this.

Half of the critical final group games, as well as half of the last 16 ties, are scheduled for 15:00.

There are no related competitions all over the place as usual. It's a damp squib and a huge own goal by FIFA.

The winners won't care, but hopefully we can then move on to USA/Canada/Mexico before our turn!

FIFA about to get the absolute pants sued off of it I would imagine.

At €15 for a pint of that coloured water though the Qataris are probably doing the fans a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Poor old Bud-wiser after the event no doubt!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/sports/soccer/world-cup-beer-qatar.html

"Beer and other drinks, including an official FIFA Champagne and an array of sommelier-selected wines, will still be available in stadium luxury suites reserved for FIFA officials and other wealthy guests."

Of course.

Its makes sense shure didn't Allah say "don't touch the evil booze unless its a few scoops at a junket in a VIP tent"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

All sorts of cinema sized screens and happy hours and brunch deals happening here (UAE) based around the World Cup. I think it could be a great one for those of us in the Middle East to be honest.

We'll run a winter camp that will finish at noon and then stroll on up to the bar for drinks and football outdoors. I'm looking forward to this to be honest.

Nothing changes.

The Football Association is understood to have indicated its support for Gianni Infantino’s re-election as Fifa president next year, but on a number of conditions......

• Advertisement

Guessing this is the main Nike World Cup ad, not a patch on the good old days but still... 3 original Ronaldos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What are everyone's predictions for how things go? Some thoughts:

Winners: France

Runners-up: Brazil

Golden Boot: Mbappe

Best keeper: Alisson

Surprise package: Denmark

Bold prediction: Argentina to go out in Rd of 16.

Winners: France

Runners-up: England

Golden Boot: Benzema

Best keeper: Neuer

Surprise package: Uruguay

Bold prediction: Denmark to beat France and win the group before France get their act together to win the whole thing

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Not sure Denmark can still be considered a surprise. Unless they get to the final I suppose.

I reckon sadly the Dutch lose the final to Brazil or Argentina.

Dutch are drawn to meet both of them on the way to the finals if I remember my chart correctly, once they all top there group of course

Ya looks like it actually. I need one of the old school wall charts.

Winners: Brazil

Runners-up: France

Golden Boot: Mbappe

Best keeper: Alisson

Surprise package: Qatar to finish 2nd in their group and into the last 16...money talks.

Bold prediction: Mexico to finally make it to the Quarter Finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Different level sh1thousery from the Qatari's with the beer. Promise all the way that fans will be able to drink around the stadiums and pull the plug a week out from the world cup when no one can do anything about it.

Doubt Bud spent millions on sponsorship so they could sell beer to a few p1ssed up English fans in Doha. All about having their brand beamed around the world and they're still getting that with extra publicity from this story. They're happy out.

Hilariously, the Qatari's have also reneged on paying for the food and drink of some fans in exchange for positive feedback on social media. A few were depending on it. Good enough for any mug caught up in that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement