Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 General Tournament Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I did appreciate them recreating a lot of moves from classic Nike ads though, some lovely attention to detail there - particularly the ones from The Cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Qataris said the funding was cut due to the negative press the paid fans were receiving. What the fk kind of press did they think that would get.

For a mega rich country they love scamming their workers out of what would be pocket money to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fascinating thread, Gianni gone off on a 30 minute ramble defending Qatar. Other bizarre statements such as “There are 1 billion disabled people in the world … and nobody cares”.

Playing the victim because he got criticism and comparing himself to oppressed peoples. Its incredible that he can't see this is only going to make things worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was just reading an article about number of tickets sold to various sets of fans, and the numbers look low. Very low.

England is in 3rd place I think, with 4000 sold. That's pathetic for a WC.

Apparently Wales have sold less than 2000.

It's going to be a very strange atmosphere at games with those sorts of numbers. I wonder will it come across on the TV coverage? Or will the Qataris have their rent-a-crowd in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

Group H is definitely the most open of all the groups.

Portugal, South Korea, Uruguay, Ghana could all easily finish top or bottom of the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What a sh1t.

There is a salutary lesson here, for anyone who say 'get rid of Putin' as a way to end the Russia/Ukraine conflict - the next guy is likely a bigger, more ruthless cvnt than him, and Gianni taking over from Sepp is a good example of this.

As corrupt as the old regime was, and it was rotten to the core, this guy and his cronies are even more cynical and ruthless. His monologue had 2 purposes, cosying up to his hosts, and campaigning for his re-election to the top job by playing to the former colonised countries in Asia, Africa and The Americas.

He's a dangerous cvnt - while there is a grain of truth in what he's saying about hypocrisy and the west preaching to the 'former colonies', he's gone way OTT, and twisted things to his own agenda.

It's a well worn path, Hitler did it 90 years ago, Trump made a career out of it, it's the Boris/Dead Cat on the table method.

I'm no fan of the Qatar regime , no more than I am the Saudi or UAE ones, but I did have a rie smile seeing them tell FIFA and Budweiser to "Fvck off, we still make the rules here' yesterday. Like the top brass, they care nothing about the fans or indeed football itself, only what they can squeeze out of it - birds of a feather and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Any papers doing a free wallchart today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Advertisement

There's nowhere for people to stay is the main issue, only people I know going are staying in shipping containers or flying in on day trip from UAE. Those flying in from UAE now reckon they'll never make it back to the airport in time after the games as the infrastructure isn't setup for so many using the roads/airport but cant find anywhere to stay for under 1K a night. 8% of all hotel rooms are booked for FIFA and the teams involved so the fans werent a big consideration until late in the day

Winners: Brazil

Runners-up: France

Golden Boot: Neymar

Best keeper: Alisson

Surprise package: Serbia to reach QF

Bold prediction: England to exit at group stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/19/fifa-gianni-infantino-world-cup-qatar

Just when you think it can't sink any lower. All the while Infantino has been resident in Qatar living an all expenses paid extravagant lifestyle for the past few years. He's a bought and sold mouth piece for the Qataris.

It's probably lucky fans aren't travelling in big numbers. The Arab cup showed that there really isn't the expertise or experience their to manage large crowds.

Winners: Argentina

Runners-up: Uruguay

Golden Boot: Messi

Surprise package: Uruguay

Bold prediction: Portugal finish bottom of their group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I really can’t understand where all this France hype is coming from. They’ve looked poor all year and now they have a severely depleted midfield and question marks over a few positions around the pitch.

If they can manage to top their group they should make it to the quarters but I’d have Denmark topping it on recent form.

Interestingly, having done the predictor on the link provided in this thread, I’ve ended up with Uruguay going very deep, based on them topping their group. A semi-final against England which is a real 50/50, and the winner facing Argentina in the final.

Group H is the most competitive for sure, as said above, but whoever tops it are looking really good on paper to potentially go all the way to the final.

No doubt there’ll be enough surprises to shake it all up though. Hopefully we don’t see another scenario where a team benefits greatly from finishing second in their group like England were blessed with in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Did much the same with the Russians 4 years ago too… went as far as calling it the best World Cup ever, and had a big ceremony for him to accept the Order of Friendship from Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It feels like the Qatari will take back all the money they gave him if the World Cup is deemed a failure and he knows it.

Even though the next World Cup will be diluted with another 16 poor teams, I’m looking forward to there actually being huge excitement about it and probably the most appealing tournament for football tourists to attend as well. Brazil in 2014 was for me, the last true and traditional World Cup and that’s how it’ll go down in the history books too I’m sure.

But North America in three and a half years will undoubtedly be a true spectacle, and it’s a tournament awarded to the hosts on merit which means an awful lot more now that we’ve seen Russia and Qatar buy their way in.

Remember when he was just that happy lad pulling balls out of bowls.

Ide say there is no hope of a decent human being getting to the top of the sht pile.

Surprisingly from a Sky Sports presenter to have such a reaction like this! Fair play to her!

It really is in incredibly stupid speech. Not "I can't sweat bad" but maybe "if the president does it it's not illegal bad"

Certainly up there with "you dont know how hard it is to run 3 houses etc"

Its like the ramblings of Kanye West or some movie star off his nipples on coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sky sports can't get the rights to the World Cup so will speak their mind would be different if they were showing the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Benzema could be the latest name out with an injury going by reports just breaking.

Karim Benzema forfeited against Australia and very uncertain for the rest of the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems like this is a new injury for Benzema. They have until tomorrow to call up a replacement.

I hope he can make the knockout stages at least. If not, I'm thinking Deschamps will call up Ben Yedder if he wants an orthodox striker. If he wants a bit more mobility, Diaby and Terrier could be in the mix.

I'm more worried about France's defence. Reports saying against Australia they will use a back four of Pavard, Upamecano, Konate and Lucas Hernandez. I would rather see instead Pavard, Saliba, Lucas and Theo Hernandez. Upamecano always has the potential for a clanger. I could see France looking unconvincing in the group stage. I do think they'll grow into the tournament assuming Deschamps is flexible and open-minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's a disgrace the competition is being played in North America. I mean, what history have they in football, they think you can pick the ball up and throw i! But seriously, the USA have no history of football, and Canada have the worse record of any country in WC finals, never won a game. USA is a mess, full of lunatic fundamentalist Christians, rowing back on basic women's health and body automony rights, and allegedly full of corrupt voting practices in their elections. Their cities are dangerous, full of BLM looters, and as for Mexico, the former US president has admited Mexico is full of rapists and drug dealers! And don't mention their foreign policy, invading countries all over, especially in the middle East, and even trying Eastern Europe according to Russia as for Canada...... boring zzzzzz!

Who would want to go there?,?! How did they get the WC??? *

*Tongue in cheek, but it's not a million miles off some of the claims being made about Qatar at times.

It is a million miles off.

Not that the next world cup is great but it's not being played in some tiny city state that has paid for an international team of mercenaries and bribed the judges.Qatar doesn't have a sports heritage never mind a soccer one.

So put your race card back in your wallet.

What mercenaries do Qatar have on their team? From everything I’ve heard they’ve avoided that approach.

Looking into it, apparently only three players have no direct link to Qatar before becoming professional footballers.

I am wrong on that one. It was a feature of their team a few years back but only a few of that squad left.

French media appear to be confirming he's out.

RMC Sport have also said he's out. Disappointed for him. It was probably his last chance for a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Anyone abroad with no access to regular TV know any apps or websites to watch the games or highlights?

And ones that wouldn't require a VPN. I've a hard time watching match of the day every weekend on the BBC player using Nord VPN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

WINNERS; Argentina( i hope)

RUNNERS UP: France

GOLDEN BOOT :Darwin

GOLDEN GLOVES: Lloris

SURPRISE PACKAGE: Uruguay

BOLD PREDICTION: Ronaldo to prove Ten Hag right and only score from penalties,and Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Iran to exit pointless and goalless

Post edited by DJIMI TRARORE on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Benzema is a reprehensible human being, delighted he's out. That's easier to say as a Liverpool fan but I'd feel the same anyway, I think.

Qatar already have 1 goal bought 🤣

Can't wait for 3 games of pundits talking up how dangerous Ronaldo is from free kicks while he wastes 5 minutes doing the "stance" only to sky it over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

WINNERS: Brazil

RUNNERS UP: Denmark

GOLDEN BOOT : Richarlison

GOLDEN GLOVES: Allison

SURPRISE PACKAGE: Switzerland

BOLD PREDICTION: Portugal out at the group stage

From a personal point of view, Fvck him and the horse he ride in on. He should be in jail, and shouldn't be allowed near any team with his record, let alone the French national team. With all the handwringing and Pearl clutching about sportswashing and Qatar, its forgotten all about this bozo setting up and blackmailing a team mate a couple of years, mainly because he's been playing well and scoring regularly.

Karma is a bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You have Denmark reaching the final but they're not your surprise package?? 😲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The most interesting thing about the match tonight will be the officiating. If Qatar have hopes of progressing from their group, the Ecuador game will be one of the 2 games they'll be targeting the most. If they get a soft penalty or a dodgy VAR decision against them, the Ecuadorians could very well erupt. Everyone and their mother knows this WC is dirty and all of Qatar's opponents will be on edge before a ball is even kicked.

It just doesn’t feel the opening day of a World Cup, it’s all so hollow. 😔

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to a bit of soccer every night after work but it feels more like it's the Nations League coming up not the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Winners: Argentina

Runners-up: Spain

Golden Boot: Messi

Surprise package: Morocco (to finish ahead of Belgium or Croatia or even both)

Bold prediction: Portugal to go out in first round

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Morgan Freeman there talking about tolerance. Sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Few dancers way out of step there.

Few 100 Billion sitting in 1 frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I presume a lot of it is due to them being in the perceived easier half of the draw, but that necessitates them winning their group, which as you point out is far from a given. And now they're minus Benzema too...

Re your last point, there's a good chance whichever of Germany or Spain comes second would have a significantly easier path to the final...

• Advertisement

Plata is a decent player for Valladolid. I think he can cause a few problems. Don't know anything about the Qatar side.

Looks an underwhelming opener on paper. Hopefully it's not a drab start to the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wonder will they ever start talking about football.

Collins and Brady should have flipped a coin to see who would wear that shirt.

Brady is an unsufferable bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's hoping Qatar get smashed in all 3 of their group games. No business hosting the World Cup.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement