Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on gambling advertising

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Normalising gambling is the issue. The very fact of the matter is that themore people that start to gamble, because they believe it to be a "normal acceptable" activity, the more problem gamblers there will be.

The constant gambling ads and integration with soccer matches and sporting events is only aimed at attracting young eyes and normalising the behaviour.

This is completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Good, about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

What a caring government. We are lucky to have em

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This is so silly.

Surely you have the brain cells to understand that gambling does not need to be broadcast 24/7. As other posters have stated, the industry are attempting to normalise gambling which shows you how morally corrupt these c*nts are.

We can still have a flutter so your 'rights' have not been particularly impacted.

Few other posters here up in arms as well. I can only assume they are either immature or are problem gamblers (thus needing some form of justification). I sincerely hope it is the former.

The impact of gambling addiction on families in this country is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just as a matter of interest in regards to your last point.

Ive no issue with banning ads for gambling, might as well ban them altogether off the tv’s/radios to be honest.

But on your last statement, where does that thinking end? Let’s just ban everything that may lead to troublesome behaviour? Is that really the world we want to live in?

Lets just ban everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Or you could take the entire 3 seconds it takes to download adblocker. You don’t need to be boss of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Gambling is normal. It’s been happening forever. It’s probably up there with prostitution as the worlds oldest profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Advertising by gambling companies is not aimed at the problem gambler.

They are aimed at kids and young people, mainly boys and men.

You start off with the adds containg the spaceman or the giant.

Theses are aimed at the 8 to 10 year olds. The same age these kids are beginning to understand how sports and leagues work and what supporting teams isall about.

It's all about brand awareness, and that brand will appear thousands of times when they see sports over the coming years.

The other adds are for the guys who are now at legal gambling age.

They have been associating the sports with the betting since they were kids, and now it's all about hanging out, and having the "bantz" etc

• Advertisement

Problem gambling is a major issue in this country and globally.

Asking "where will/does it end - lets ban everything" is a complete strawman/red herring. There are behaviours that are bad for people and society. The less people that partake in these behavours the less people with problems you will have.

Based on that logic (lets not restrict anything) - we would be back to a chaotic world fairly quickly.

The main issues I have, as you've seen, is the targetting of children/teens and the amount of people who cannot escape seeing advertising for gambling companies.

In general restricting things that have been proven to lead to negative outcomes for individuals and society is a good way to run society - history tells us that.

Post edited by kippy on

That doesn't mean companies that profit from gambling should be given free reign to advertise to whomever they want.

The reality nowadays is that gambling is a far bigger issue than it ever was - purely down to the 24/7/online nature of it - companies that profit from it, should not be allowed promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The internet is not just on desktops.

I keep getting gambling ads on this site despite having an adblocker. My twitter feed is full of gambling ads based on the fact that I use twitter mostly for football and sports news.

Also, just because you know how to control these ads does not mean everyone can and many vulnerable people would have no idea about adblockers.

Legislation has to cater for the lowest common denominator. Like most people would be capable of driving faster than 120km on a motorway but some cannot so you have to legislate for that.

It's right to ban these, especially on TV, It will be nice to watch a sports event without a barrage of "when the fun stops-stop" ads at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And yet, its the parents that first actively encourage them to put a bet on, usually when the Grand National comes around. Ah sure you might as well pick a few horses since there's 40 in the field. I know I was definitely under 10 when I was 'allowed' pick one for the first time.

What about grandparents sending a few scratchcards with a birthday card, and the thrill that entailed? Does that count as gambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't dispute that the above happens

And no one is trying to ban gambling.

But that doesn't mean that gambling sites don't target children.

Take a look at this ad.

Who's eyes do you think it would appeal to ?

https://youtu.be/YGZ9MI4MD3I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

You're right. A lot of that first exposure does come from parents/extended family/peers. And it can be the first step in normalising behaviour. One can only hope that "novelty bet" exists in isolation, or a well-controlled environment, or with the potential harms highlighted (less likely). Otherwise, it carries the same risk of seeding an addictive behaviour as advertising might.

I think when people say "normalising the behaviour", it means ingraining it as an essential accompaniment to the subject of the behaviour; i.e watching football can't exist without a bet, or as the gambling company might phrase it "it matters more when there's money on it". Of course the action itself is normal enough.

Or they work in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

People still don't seem to 'get' it

Ivan Toney (Premier League Footballer) gonna get in a lot of trouble with a long ban for his betting on football (illegal)

I tweeted basically complaining about people taking the mick out of him (for likes/retweets) for what is a clear addiction

First reply:

'You think that 1 bet a week makes it a gambling addiction'

People just don't get it and the education around it is still so weak

A great piece of legislation, and I say that as someone who is no stranger to throwing a 50 at a bookie at the races.

I'd go further and nationalise gambling except if you are visiting the track. No more PaddyPower "banter", signup offers, advertising during TV coverage.

If you want to bet then visit the Tote in each town, or gamble online during strict hours.

If you do actually love the sport of horse racing then be charged 50 quid to get in and bet as much as you want with on-course bookies who have to keep audited accounts of every bet. Including laying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Watching tv last night and just gambling advertising is literally everywhere. Sport has been saddled with it but seems endemic everywhere now.

Sky bet and Sky Vegas have been fined by the regulators over there.

Advertisement