Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers wiiling to butcher a deer carcass in Cork?

Options
  • 15-11-2022 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Anyone know of a butcher who'll deal with a deer carcass for a reasonable fee, in the Cork area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

Interested to know this too

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Alpha Delta

Are ye dead set on having a butcher do it? I was of the same opinion with my first deer but it really isn't as bad as it seems. It can be intimidating but it's definitely doable.

I was lucky and had a mate to show me the ropes with the first, but left the second all to me and while it took a little longer I got the job done.

I'm not anywhere near Cork or I would only be delighted to lend a hand but if ye know anyone who has shot their own deer they'd surely show you the ropes.

That said, I know I didn't answer yr question.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone, ye might have a commercial setup in mind or something, but I'd hate to see someone let the opportunity to start doing it themselves pass by for want of a bit of encouragement.

Either way best of luck lads, hope ye get the freezer filled 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Rescueme0007

Thanks for responding. I have thus far personnally butchered all but the very first beast that I took. Having read some articles on other forums based in the UK it struck me as both efficient and effective to explore if there was an opportunity to have the animals butchered professionally. I can get it done, but I'm certain a properly trained and skilled butcher would reduce waste and improve the presentation of the venison. Thus far I've had no success. I did enquire of a couple of butchers in the English Market in Cork, but to no avail.🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Even better if you could have them show you how they do it. You might improve your technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I'd say stay away from the butchers in the English Market, there are plenty of butchers in the towns and villages around Cork that would butcher a deer for you no problem.... try them first. Its just they wouldn't be advertising it, the guys in the English market would probably only deal with game dealers. Because everything these days needs to be traceable. If certain individuals got wind that they were butchering wild venison they could end up drawing unwanted attention to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

I'd say your local butcher would do it for you just not in his shop.If they are a good butchers they will be buying in whole lambs,pigs and half steers to butcher themselves.My local comes to me around June and does 4 lambs on site then brings them off to be hung for a week,then bags and prepares them for me however I ask all for 40 an animal,which I think is great for traceable to my field meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Rescueme0007

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll put out feelers with the butchers in my local area and see if they might point me in the right direction!

Advertisement