Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Guide - Christmas 2022 edition

Options
  • 16-11-2022 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The bumper Christmas issue will hit shelves nationwide from December 12th with a print run of 310,000 copies... so not long now!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Will still buy it even though will not really watch much TV and will already know what is on each channel. Probably just do the crossword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Same here, we buy it every year and it barely gets opened anymore. But it's part of the Christmas tradition to buy the RTE Guide and Ireland's Own.

Gone are the days when myself and my siblings almost had to book a time slot to go through the TV section of it. Oh the excitement of planning your TV viewing for the two weeks off school, even though we only had two channels until I was well into secondary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pistachio19

We buy it and circle what we will watch and then forget to watch most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We'll not even be in the country, nevermind near a TV, for the majority of its scheduling but will still buy it, purely out of tradition.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Will pick it up out of tradition

Still have last years one it was my little ones first Christmas I keep meaning to put it in her keepsake box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Same here. It doesn't cover most of the channels on our freesat and we've daily papers plus online to see what's on. We really just do the crosswords.

Initially I felt we'd buy it anyway but now I'm having second thoughts. It has been an integral part of decades of Christmases though. We'll see nearer the date how we feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

The Christmas RTE Guide, one of Ireland greatest Christmas traditions 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just the crossword here too. But would be weird not to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like the Christmas Guide but a confession of mine is I preferred it in the past when they just had a Christmas photo shoot with the RTE Staff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Another one here who just buys it out of tradition and the crossword but these days I'm getting less and less time to put into the crossword

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Tippman24

It is the only time in the year that I buy the RTE Guide. I don't watch much television but it is purely a tradition at this stage. I can remember myself and my sisters fighting over who reads it first and we only had two channels in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Similarly, I buy it out of tradition. I love the tough-as-nails film quiz; the beauty of it is that many of the films are on over the season, with the answers to be found within.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Same here. We buy it and study what to watch, then forget all about it :) With everything on demand now it has somewhat killed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Probably buy it but in terms of TV guides its hard to beat The Suns TV guide on a Saturday ?? or is there a better one im not aware??

I buy the Sun each Saturday and throw away the paper itself without looking at it( in a bin of course) . I might become the opposite to other people taking the pull out and leaving the paper itself on the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

We buy it and circle any films we want to record or major programs. Also very handy when I visit my parents Christmas day as we can look through it and see what we can sit down and watch after dinner. They have a dodgy box so useless for flagging programs to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My parents do this with the Ireland on Sunday (or whatever it's called now). It's a great TV guide to be fair, has nice recipes & a great quiz section at the back.

The OP says it's coming out on the 12th....which seems late. I thought normally it came out around the 8th or 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It appears that the sales of the rte guide are kept strong due to tradition, nothing else.

If the replies on here are a straw poll, it would appear the vast majority don't actually read it or use it as a TV guide at all.

Pure tradition for the last decade. We've decided to break this year and we're not bothering. It doesn't get used and rarely has anything worth reading. We'll find some other crosswords to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'll buy it as always, highlight any Die Hard and every Match of the Day.

That'll be that.

Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Huh so I have to buy this current one to have the Christmas week listings!?

Yeah the guide is becoming more and more redundant. I think I'll check to see what the prize for the movie quiz is before I buy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Saw one today with listings up to the 23rd or 24th and it was thin....I though it covered the whole festive period and was a lot thicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The next one is the Christmas one and covers 2 weeks instead of the normal one week.

That's just the normal weekly guide. The Christmas edition isn't out yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think the Christmas one is out on Monday. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Edit

Removed complaining post.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sneak peak!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Look what I just saw.... Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I bought one today, it just wouldn't be Christmas without it!

Advertisement