Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long before your smart meter became active

Options
  • 16-11-2022 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What have people's experiences been switching to a smart plan? Was it less than 30 days before you could? more?

I got a smart meter installed 30 days ago. For me it makes financial sense to switch to a smart plan as I've an EV I can charge between 2 and 5am and charge the 5Kwh solar battery also. So unlike some people I'm eager to switch to a smart plan.

Currently costing €6 for a return trip to work instead of €2 it should be.

The 30 days are required to ensure that the meter can communicate consistently with the ESB server and then your meter connection is graded from 1-4 i think, that's my understanding.

I'll call the ESB if still can't select a smart plan tomorrow, but thought I'd check here and see if any experiences

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are you out of the contract period on the original plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

No one got three months left but if I had to pay the €50 I'd still be better off. I would be staying with the same company so I'd say it's very unlikely they'd charge.

Do many companies charge the breakage I wonder. I signed up to flogas for 12 month contract, bought a house so had to break it and they never asked for the €200 intro credit back or the breakage fee.... Was a pleasant surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

These companies are clearly being incentivised to get people onto smart plans, you can tell that by the number of people on here who are being switched without being fully aware of it. "energy insights, no it's not a smart tariff" its a 24 hour tariff with the smart meter enabled so they ain't lying but it's not the whole truth either.

They won't charge you 50 quid to switch to a different tariff (same company), (im guessing its BG), they would ask you to sign up to a new 12 month contract, if you signed up originally at the start of this year you were probably on a 30% odd discount to the standard rate, the current rate is only 15%, i'd be asking to remain on that discount. I was a month in when i enabled mine, the discount rate had gone up by 3% i asked for that and there wasn't a problem at all.

Call the new sign up number first, they will get priority if it's busy in the call centre and more likely to be staff who are better trained/able to offer a deal.

Thanks yeah i'll try to keep the 40% discount i'm on rather than the 15% currently on offer...no harm in asking!

I'm onto chat with them now but not expecting much unless they are slow to update their records and the ESB checks have been completed. Once i find out the smart meter is good to go then i'll be able to phone up to negotiate though, good point though I would not have thought to try and keep the 40%.

How long was your smart meter installed before you were able to enable it? or maybe you didn't want to enable it straight away, so you may not know....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I had it installed for about 18 months before I enabled it, so not sure.

• Advertisement

I was talking to Chat yesterday and they said it would be early December. I rang ESB today and they said it was activated, tried to sign up online and it was allowing me (but i didn't sign up, like you suggested I'll call them to see if I can retain a better discount! So the 30 days was fairly accurate, you could argue 30 full calander days was correct as installed 17 October and working early 17 November.

Just a follow up here, i had no joy getting a better discount when I rang up! Was worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I got a message from Electric Ireland saying my "smart meter is now active" and I can "stay on my current plan with current discount" and get the "energy insights" by enabling smart meter 3 readings a day. the small print says this can't be reversed.

My question is, I would like the insights to energy usage, and don't want a smart plan until a decent plan is available, is there any risk by allowing them get the 3 readings - could we end up being forced into a "day time" high charge in the future, and wish we had not given them this ability?

Hard to know, what if you want to switch provider and they say "your smart meter is active, so you have to get a smart plan". I wouldn't know who to ask about this, another supplier?

Without knowing your situation, you are likely to be better off seeing your plan out of you have a decent discount. I had 40%, you don't get anything like this anymore. I have solar panels and a battery. So I can charge by battery at the 10 cent rate as well as the circa 20 units a night for my electric car. I heat the water too in the cylinder. So for me the reduction to a 15% discount worked out better. I try to use just my battery between 5-7pm to avoid the premium at this time.

A woman in a Facebook group put the spreadsheet together in this folder, if you really want to get into comparisons. Much better than online comparisons. I don't think she'll mind me sharing it. Download it before editing!

Advertisement