Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of a full size GAA 4G pitch

• 16-11-2022 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

Hard to find an answer on Google. Does anyone know the cost involved?

With the recent poor weather and pitch problems it got me thinking that the GAA could maybe look at development of a few in each province that could help avoid postponed fixtures

I'm assuming cost is substantial for a full size pitch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've heard several numbers quoted but in or around €1 Million is usually the average just for the surface. More then for floodlights which most all weathers will have for the obvious benefit on winter nights. The quality of the surface can drive cost up as well, softer less durable turf being more expensive but the technology is always improving so it's rare now to see the old style sandpaper type surface that would tear the skin off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think they'll need to look more into protective covering for normal grass pitches, rather than moving towards 4G pitches

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Treble double

Play as much games as possible between April and September when they are supposed to be played.

In saying that club game played in Pairc ui Caoimh last Saturday night and pitch seemed to play as if it was summer time some surface there it looked like some players were wearing mouldys. Great scores in that game which you wouldn't have got if it was played on an "ordinary" pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there much difference between a 3G and 4G pitch as regards the playing surface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

You would find there is no Give in the 3G pitch and the 4G would give better when falling, Your joints would almost be for from the impact on the 3G when the 4G is like a carpet. I played on the 4G in blanchardstown IT and its unreal..Bohs trained there from time to time when I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh I’ve played on the indoor in Connacht Dome and it’s beautiful. Comparison in my head were the astroturfs that you used to see back in Primary School which were 3G. The tech has coke on so much

Only issue for hurling, is with balls being so light now the bounce is insane

Advertisement