Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Two. The Running Bit.

Options
  • 17-11-2022 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Life is complicated and our route in many paths is often non-linear. One of the thing I loved about running when I started back in 2010 was that you usually got back what you put in. For fairly regular input you got an expected level of output.

Like many over the last couple of years, life has been fairly unpredictable and chaotic. Running, my method of stress relief, my social life, what went on my CV as a hobby, and in many ways, how I define myself outside work, went missing. And in a lot of ways, outside work, so did I.

So here I am in late 2022. It's now 3 years since I ran so much as a 5k race but I'm in the DCM lottery with results due today. Let's see what today and the next chapter brings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

This week's training went well. Nothing to write home about with just over 20 miles total, however, I was travelling for work this week so was very happy to get runs in at all.

Monday was the first tempo run I've done in a bit. It was a 10 min warm-up and cool-down with 15 minutes at effort level 7 which appears to be about 8.45 pace for me at the moment. The cool down left me about a mile from the house so ended up with about 5.5 miles total.

Tuesday I travelled early and then worked until late so took it as a rest day.

Wednesday was a 3.5 mile easy run around an industrial estate while travelling. Glad to get this in after a lot of sitting.

Thursday was another travel day bit I was home in the afternoon and got a 40 min easy run in.

Friday rest.

Saturday I was getting my hair done at 11 so a lie in only gave me enough time for 5 in the morning.

Sunday was an easy 3 miles with some strides at the end and a dumbell weights session.

Takeaways for me from this week are that I need to get more consistent with strength training again - it always falls off when I start running consistently but I can't get away with that anymore in my 40s. I also need to maybe add some mileage to my shorter runs to get myself up to the mid 20s as a base to build on in the new year. I was lucky enough to be successful in the DCM lottery. There is plenty of time to build to that but will need to work on my speed for the next few months to make it a less arduous experience.

Advertisement