Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happened To Bottles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for the end user as well - cans are easier to store and when you've drunk them you can feck them in the recycling bin. Bottles have to be dragged off to the bottle bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah I wish more of the German lager producers would get on board with tins tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Germany has very solid takeback and reuse (as opposed to recycle - on the face of it hugely beneficial environmentally although there are more transport costs involved) so I'd doubt there'll be any change there. The export market is just a small portion of the total sales.

Diageo and C&C are both equipped for takeback/reuse of pint bottles but rarely sell these at retail to begin with, let alone have a retail method of return. I've sent some very heavily used, scuffed white along the haunches, bottles of Macardles to recycling after I've had them at home.

If Rye River did local takeback and reuse they'd get plenty back based on how quickly they sell out of bottles of the main range in my local Centra - but I don't think you'd invest in that for a few local towns!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Does anyone in the pub trade even do take back/reuse in Ireland anymore? When I was a teenager I worked in pubs and can remember sorting the bottles back into crates separating the Stag and Ritz ones as they had tinfoil in them. Speaking with Germans I see that it’s usual for a family to take crates home and bring back the empties swapping over. I much prefer a canned beer but I really don’t get why the in-trade is not pushed more in the reuse element.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know Diageo do for pint bottles, I'm fairly sure C&C do for pint bottles also. I'd have to defer to someone actually working in the pub trade for others.

Coke definitely used to, C&C/Cooney for their small bottles also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

330ml cans are excellent. I much prefer them to 330ml bottles. No bottle banks to be visited. I wish heineken amd some of the better breweries would start doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I think they’rea good alternative to the 330ml A airtight. It’s just replacing one medium with another. I can’t see the mainstream guys doing that though. I think a lot of people just like holding a bottle and, also, bottles feel substantial whereas a can seems dinky. I think they’d open themselves up to a lot of flak and it might not be popular. I think this might be one area where the craft folks are kind of leaping ahead of the a population as a whole. Most don’t seem to have an issue with cans.

Incidentally I also see the majors are getting in on the short arse game as well. I had a few bottles of carlsberg over the summer that were 300ml and not the 330ml you’d expect. Some of tge good looking supermarket deals on carlberg too were for those 300ml bottles. .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think 33cl would work for mainstream beers in Ireland.

I've observed some really odd attitudes towards beer formats - particularly people who will under no circumstances drink draught beer. My local has no bottled beers and I've seen people faced with this order wine rather than draught beer. I suspect people like this would also refuse cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

15 odd years ago I was in Mooregate, and did a tour of the Duvel brewery, arrived unannounced and the only English speaking tour they had going on that day was a vip type tour for a British vintner's group.

We (the Irish) were asked why they never get the Duvel bottles or crates back, they were a bit surprised that we didn't have a deposit scheme.

Anyway, currently having a 5% Heineken 440ml can from up north, tis grand, a lot nicer than the 4.5% Irish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Carlsberg has been 300ml for years, in multipacks at least.

330ml cans are the norm on the continent, every café and kiosk in France sells 330ml cans of Kronenbourg and Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure about Carslberg, but supermarket bottles of bud must have been 300ml for 10 years plus?

Advertisement