Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Power Lead Query

Options
  • 18-11-2022 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

My TV stopped working so I took the back off to have a look inside. When I put the back on again, it started working again even though I don't know why. My question however is about something I noticed on the power cable connection. As can be seen on the attached photo, the live wire is connected to the terminal marked N, and the neutral wire is connected to the terminal marked L. Is this a bit dodgy? I know the TV will work (and it now does again), but the little bit of Googling I did suggested that some appliances could become dangerous / live if a fault developed in the TV. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't think polarity makes any difference with appliances

Nothing I can think of off the top of my head anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It used to be a bigger issue in the past, bit not so much these days.

Part of the reason is that European schucko sockets (with the round pin) aren't polarised and the plug can be fitted into the socket in reverse - meaning that L can be N and N can be L depending on the orientation of the plug, and so on. Hence all appliances are now designed to work independently of the polarisation.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mull

Thanks for the reassuring info. As long as its not going to cause an electrocution or fire, I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All of my current TVs have a 'figure of 8' connector to take the mains power and you can connect these either way so polarity clearly doesn't matter.

Advertisement