Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about online reviews

• 19-11-2022 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I have put up many reviews about places and businesses etc. 99% are good positive reviews. I placed a negative review about an experience I had and it appears to be gone. I can see it when I am logged in but nobody else can.

Why would this be? I mean it's a matter of opinion. What would be legally wrong for someone to say I regret choosing X?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

The issue likely isn’t the content, the issue is more likely whatever platform you’ve used.

User-generated content is now a multi-billion dollar business, so of course it’s been monetised by allowing businesses to hide less favourable reviews for a fee.

This is why it’s impossible to trust online reviews any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

User-generated content is now a multi-billion dollar business, so of course it’s been monetised by allowing businesses to hide less favourable reviews for a fee.

An Irish restaurant review website used to carry on this racket. As soon as it's business methods were publicised, it's credibility went through the floor and people just stopped referring to it. The format was that a restaurant could pay a subscription to become a 'premium' member which gave them the ability to edit or delete unfavourable reviews. Which meant that their sales people could resort to not so subtle blackmail, along the lines of 'nice restaurant you've got there, wouldn't it be a shame if you got a few bad reviews?'....

OP, if this is TripAdvisor, did they send you an acknowledgement that your review had been accepted? If it's not TA then it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wanderingmind

It was a google review. I've also noticed that a previous 1 star review was removed and now the reviews seem to be locked. A bit biased if a business can choose what reviews are shown.

If I wanted to share my experience where would be suitable?

It's too easy to cram fake reviews into websites. Some are prety obvious, like when a restaurant on Tripadvisor has mainly one and five star reviews. But I'd be very skeptical about Google reviews. I only contribute when they nag me for some feedback and then they just ask too many questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement