Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia + Intel Gaming/Streaming/Video editing build

Options
  • 19-11-2022 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

The time has come and I am finally committing to building a new machine. I stretched my last computer out as long as I could (970gtx + i5 4690k), but it's about to kick the bucket. I've been relatively out of the loop with what's what apart from knowing that 4000 series are they new high end cards at the moment.

I want to build a PC that's capable of gaming, streaming, video editing as well as using creative software such as the Adobe suite, Blender3d.

I play a lot of online games. They usually have a heavy use of ram, loading big worlds and players (Rust/Escape from Tarkov/Dayz)

From what I've read online, and Nvidia/Intel set up is better suited for my needs as they work better with the above software. If anyone has any experience using AMD with simillar needs, do let me know if I'm wrong about this.

I'm ready to start buying parts next week, and was hoping to take advantage of some upcoming sales.

1. What is your budget? €2000-2500 (If it's too much, then I can also include a monitor in this price)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Streaming, Video editing and 3d modeling

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I think so, unless I can somehow use the one on my current computer?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes I would like to get a 27 2k 144hz Monitor, but I think I can purchase that separately from the PC budget if needed.

I also have a 1080p monitor I will use a secondary screen.

6. Do you need any peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank/Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. Do you need help building it? No

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

Have you considered the 7950x? For that budget, you can afford a full DDR5 system...

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_zen_4_ryzen_7_7700x_and_ryzen_9_7950x_review/6

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-13900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X/4129vs4133

https://www.techspot.com/photos/article/2535-amd-ryzen-7950x/#PP

Also, everyone's complaining about nVidia's 40x0 price range... it may be best if you hold the GPU's purchase until after the 13th of December. Depending on the 7900 xtx performance, the price range may drop quite a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Adobe can benefit from Quick-Sync with Intel (as long as you go for a model that includes the IGP, e.g. 13 series K, and not KF). I haven't tested this myself but have read about serious benefits and it's the reason this generation I'm going back to Intel (for After effects and Premier). I'm not sure how well streaming encoders can multi-task to the IGP for similar reasons though.

Most games won't seriously push beyond 16GB main system ram (allowing for OS), though you should aim for 32GB to give yourself headroom for concurrent streaming etc. The (sad) reality is PC gaming tends to be limited by current console specs. With typically 16GB or less on those being shared with VRam then 16GB is a comfortable min, though again on a PC try to push to 32 for additional app use. With ram with parallel ops the more the merrier, so treat 16 as min, 32 as ok, more as better. Below a 79xx or 13900K I don't think you need DDr5 (esp. since most current streaming recorders don't record at high end rates). But future proofing here is a consideration regardless - for that looking at your previous setup you may want to lean back to AMD as they have said AM5 will last for a few more CPU gens, whereas with Intel the z790/13xxx is end of line, their next will use a different socket, if you want something you can just slot a new CPU into in a couple of years AMD is your only bet here.

Often overlooked but especially if you're relying on concurrent operations like streaming do not skimp on your storage. Get a fast NVME SSD ( WD SN850x are extremely cheap on amazon.de right now (Nov 20 2022). ideally 2, one for your OS and streaming cache, the other for the game. Don't worry about PCI Gen 5 here, it will be years before those SSDs are available and actually effective. A good high end PCIE gen 4 is more than good enough, and that's only really for if/when direct-storage is a thing, for encoding your stream they are more than enough.

You can use the current version of Windows's license only if it was not OEM, e.g. not purchasedwith the PC or as an OEM copy from a vendor (e.g you bought the system with Windows preinstalled). If it's a 'full' license it will transfer to new hardware. The easiest way to try this is when you build the new PC plug your old OS drive in and boot, it should take a reboot or 2 to update it's drivers and then load in. While nowhere near as bad as it used to be there will still be some inherited junk in the system. If you're ok with wiping the apps then the ideal thing at this point is to do a refresh/clean install from within Windows. This gives you a clean system with the license transferred. If you have an OEM license though ignore that as it won't transfer. You can always buy a full license via MS directly or checkout the market sites for another OEM code that is good for this one use (though you may have to jump through some extra hoops here like phone call verification).

Overclocking? Not really a conscious thing outside of extreme enthusiasts anymore, and I say this as someone who was using Peltiers, Soldering, replacing capacitors and drawing conductive lines on CPUs to OC since about 2000. All current CPUs overclock automatically based on power and thermals. You can mess around with the settings manually to fine tune but the main thing (beyond the RNG of binning) is a good motherboard with decent power/VRMs and cooling (both CPU and case). There are tweaks that are obvious like PBR (AMD) and such but beyond simply wanting to spend days moving the slider by tiny amounts and waiting for crashes the best you can do is build the best environment to let the CPU do it's thing here. So, get a case with good cooling and size, get good fans and load the case beyond the shipped minimum airflow wise - think about placement: try to equalise input and output and really work on cable management to reduce eddy currents (or simply keep them consolidated/tied and out of/behind the main case area as soon as possible, all good cases these days prioritise this, it's not just cosmetics :) ). Get the best cooler you can afford and I am biased to AIOs here for one specific reason, you choose where to dump the heat. Beyond the GPU and CPU your SSDs will heat throttle around typical CPU accepted norms for this generation, get that heat out of the system instead of pumped into it. If that sounds daunting or more obviously LOUD, if you do it right it won't be. My current system has 2x200mm and 2x120mm intakes, 2x120 outtakes and a 3x140 MM AIO cpu cooler(right by and sucking in the 2x200s), on a 5590x and 3090 it's cool and quieter than my work MAC book. Good airflow is an oft overlooked and relatively cheap performance optimizer and does not have to be loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Thank you, @Jon Doe e and @_CreeD_ for your great contributions! These are good starting points for me.

Having done a little bit of research in between work, I can see that the rtx40x cards are super expensive as of now. The idea is that Nvidia is trying to offload the 3000 series.

Of course, some high price bs is always ongoing when it comes to building a PC. It's literally what has been delaying me the last couple of years to start a new build.

Looking at the prices of everything I need, I don't think it's possible to fit a 4000 series card, with a top processor, and ram, within this budget.

So I'm kinda lost in what approach to take.

Do I build as high as I can in terms of Ram/CPU, and then get a 3080/ti?

Do I wait for prices to come down? (Kinda don't want to, as I've been waiting for the right time, and it never seems to come).

Do I change and j build an AMD system with the launch of the new GPUs?

I must also say that with the creative programs I want to use, I'm a noob! I'm in the process of learning everything, so I guess it doesn't really need to be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

So it's been 5 months, and I think at the end of March I'm gonna pull the trigger on this: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/VYKMhk

Any opinions?

I was gonna go with a 13700k and 4070ti instead, but over on Reddit was told that in my case this is the better route. It's blowing way past my budget, but seems like I don't really have a choice in this market if I want the high end stuff.

Advertisement