Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best electrical wall mounted radiators

Options
  • 19-11-2022 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

What are the best electrical wall mounted radiators.. cost , efficiency, durability etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Also whats the difference between inertia fluid and inertia stone radiators ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Efficiency 😁

Talk to the electrical wholesalers whatever they're selling

Storage heating is underrated if you have a decent nite rate

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All resistive electric heaters are identically efficient - they all work at 100% efficiency, producing the same amount of heat as they take in in power. Well, there's usually a light or two that takes a miniscule amount of the total take.

Types that hold heat to put out later will still use exactly the same amount of electricity to produce that heat, you just may be able to use cheaper power to do so if you have day/night or a smart meter

I have read that electric radiators with a solid core has a little more efficient that radiators that are fluid based

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Is the purpose of heating to heat the room or to make the person more comfortable in the room? For me, its the latter.

Certain heaters e.g. Infra red heaters give more direct heat to the person sitting beside them and make the person feel comfortable at a lower room temperature. In some situations e.g.older/draughty house or say where person doesn't want to heat the whole house or room, convective heat wont work well whereas radiant heaters have more success and are therefore more efficient at warming the person/making them more comfortable if they sit close to it. It also has the advantage of creating a hot spot within a room. Similar situation with solid fuel stoves, some have covers (double walls with vents) and are more convective whereas other uncovered box type stoves send out a lot more direct radiant heat.

Another factor is there speed. The oil filled radiators are slow to warm up and are unsuitable for say early morning heat during a quick breakfast. Fan heater or even ceramic panel heaters are quicker.

I suppose the point I am making is that some heaters are more efficient and timely in certain situations in terms of delivering heat/comfort.

I still have my 2 bar electric fire (like the queen).

Post edited by Joe1919 on

Retention of heat after radiator is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Retention of heat is what the newer storage heaters do better

That's not efficiency it's just better design

That doesn't actually make more heat. It disperses what it has slower, meaning you need it on for longer or on at a higher wattage to get the heat you want. The heat retained in the room hasn't heated the room yet.

Kilowatts of power in = kilowatts of heat out*

The advantage of longer retention is that you can put the heat in to them when the units are cheaper; but you are often going to have to boost in the evening on expensive electricity even with the longest holding units. And you need to remember to adjust for weather a day in advance lest you bake/freeze due to assuming that you'll need the same heat as the day before.

*for resistive heating, which is what we're talking about here - heatpumps are an entirely different thing

• Advertisement

I'm a better off them with a fluid based radiator then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

IMHO. Yes. It operates automatically when the heating is switched on. You don’t have to worry about forgetting to switch it on/off. It’s cheaper to run than electric. There is a fan however it’s only 20 watts. If the room is too hot you can switch it off. It’s a really easy plumbing job if there’s a radiator nearby

I was refering to a fluid electric radiator no fan in those wall mounted radiators

If you have cheaper power times, and can remember to alter your heating needs the day before, storage heating can work out quite cheap. Does this match your requirements?

Infrared has specific use cases where it can be cheaper to use, but that is by changing what gets heated rather than being making any more heat. You heat what the infrared hits, not the air basically. This is often not what you want, but sometimes it is (hence why they're used in smoking areas of pubs etc)

Advertisement