Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbell Wiring

• 20-11-2022 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I've an existing wired doorbell that's very low voltage. I want to install a wired video doorbell and I know I will need to change the transformer in the consumer unit at the very least. I'm concerned the doorbell wiring might need to be upgraded too. From the outside I can see the wire goes into the brick but I'm not sure where after that. Do they usually take the cable up into the attic and drop it down into the consumer unit or does it normally run in the ceiling on the ground floor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you have an old ring branded doorbell the one with an inbuilt battery then you can swap bell push for ring brand without upgrading wiring nor bell nor transformer.

It's true if you want a non battery ring you need to replace transformer in the main fuseboards which is not really diy. Some installers are offering non ring branded smart doorbells installed for cheap prices.

Typically you would not touch old doorbell wiring but you might need to extend it a few inches and sometimes camera doorbell is situated slightly different location to give best view for camera.

One Like this should work (slightly possibly not but I am 99% confident as I have one)

It can take a day or two before doorbell will display "wired" in app as it tests it's supply. This is how older ring works.

Note ring is a subscription service. They basically sell their products below the cost to produce and expect users to pay a monthly subscription per device to allow them to record. Without this monthly subscription they won't record and often you will miss callers as the "live" function is often notifying your phone 30+ seconds later so you may miss postmen and couriers as they have left and without a recording you cannot see the past and what they did such as throwing package over side gate.

They are the best well known brand. Be aware over the years you will be paying hundreds if not thousands and recordings are deleted after 30 days. Consider cancelling subscription after a while and getting a good 4 camera CCTV system with alerts. It will work out cheaper in long term if subscription free.

See here for install guide

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360038902531-How-to-physically-install-your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-3-with-an-existing-doorbell

Advertisement