Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time license applicant - Buying a shotgun from my Club

Options
  • 20-11-2022 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Started shooting this year. My club has a few new and secondhand shotguns for sale to members.

As this is my first time applying for a license, I'm a little concerned that my club advised me that my money wouldn't be returned on the purchase of a firearm if my FCA1 application is declined. Is this normal practice for clubs, or should I approach a dealer instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

No, absolutely not.

Some clubs have been burnt by members in the past and have signs saying that proof of refusal is required to get a refund, but I've never heard of a no refund policy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's a "thing" and I personally dislike the practice but you have the choice not to buy from them and go elsewhere. Use a deposit, apply, and then if successful pay the balance.

Worse case scenario you lose your deposit so make is small, but I'd still discuss this with any potential seller before buying.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you paid for the gun up front and were refused the licence, you'd still own the gun and therefore would have the option of selling it on (either through the club or a dealer) although you might lose money doing that.

I wouldn't be woeful impressed with the club not giving a refund if you had a refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thanks everyone, I'll probably go the dealer route. Do dealers normally refund a deposit on license refusal?

Some dealers will refund the deposit, some won't. If a dealer imported the gun specially for you, then I'd expect they mightn't return the deposit. It's something you can ask the dealer before you purchase and if you don't like the terms, i.e. too big of a deposit or a deposit that wouldn't be returned, then you can walk away.

I bought a €2,000 shotgun from a dealer a few years ago and I had to give €1000 as a deposit. I was confident I'd get the licence so I agreed to that.

Just as a matter of interest, is there any reason why you think you might be refused a licence? If you've no mental health issues and don't have a criminal record, and nobody dodgy lives in the same house, it's usually not that difficult to get a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm just nebbish! Being new to the process, I just don't want to lose a significant amount of money apart from the €80 application fee and €300 on a gun safe.

Ask your club will they take a €50 deposit. They'll either say yes or no. If your licence is refused, that's not a whole pile of money to lose.

The €80 is only due if you are granted the licence. There's no fee to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Also, there is no need to buy a gun safe before you find out if a licence is granted, or not.

For a single shotgun, a trigger lock is all that is required.

If you succeed in getting the licence I would then definitely buy the gun safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice and also spot on legally. As I mentioned above, the trigger lock is the minimum so once you have this you satisfy the secure accommodation requirements .

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

The more I think about this, the more I think the prospective new club is being very unfair - if selling a firearm from stock, and suggesting that they won't refund, if a licence is declined.

Sure, its different, if they order a gun in, specifically for the person, but otherwise, its not the right way to try and start off a good long term relationship, which is what this will likely become, if the new shooter starts with this club.

If I were Dublin Writer, and was being asked for anything more than a small booking deposit, for gun they had in stock, then I'd be considering other clubs, not just reconsidering where I buy my gun, and any related accessories.

Perhaps Dublin Writer might like to share a little info, such as what county /province they are in, what type of firearm they are thinking of getting (and for what purpose, target shooting or hunting) etc. Then, we might be able to suggest a few clubs or firearms dealers in his/her vicinity?

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement