Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Advice Needed] Studying Physics and Chemistry Externally

Options
  • 20-11-2022 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I plan on resitting my LC next year as I want to complete an undergraduate course. I previously sat my LC back in 2016.

I have been recently researching courses and given that LC grades may be inflated for the next few years as a result of COVID, I am being cautious and resitting to try to beat the points race because I know my 2016 points will not be sufficient enough to study the course I wish.

I initially sat the following subjects:

• English
    • Irish
    • Mathematics
    • Accounting
    • Business
    • Biology
    • French

I passed all the above and would have met the matriculation requirements for my course of choice. However, I am interested in studying the course as an external candidate for the following subjects:

• Mathematics
    • Accounting
    • Business
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics

When I was researching the SEC requirements to sit a subject externally, it states that the necessary practical coursework needs to be completed in order to be admitted to an examination. I completed the practical coursework for Biology when I initially sat my LC but I have not done so for Chemistry and Physics and I am afraid now that my plan to resit will be pointless

Can people who have studied these subjects externally, or even subject teachers, advise whether the SEC are very stringent on the above or whether it is a random selection that they are requested?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

I know a few people who did physics externally last year and had no problems. 2 of them got H1s.

But have you looked into applying as a mature student. If you did LC in 2016, you would be at least 23 for next year’s intake. You could try applying now anyway. Depending on the course you want to do, you could get in for 2023 and save yourself a year and the hassle of leaving cert.

Advertisement