Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Forest as Individual Vs Ltd Company

Options
  • 21-11-2022 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Looking to buy a 20+ years old forest ~25 acres size and possibly grow in coming years, but working full-time in non-farming/forestry job. Considering grants would be finished at 20 years, so won't be getting any grants.

Read lots of information, that talks about Individual forest owner benefits like -

- no income tax ( though 4% PRSI + 8% USC = total 12% still needs to be paid on crop profits)

- no CGT on timber gains ( though CGT applies to land value appreciation)

- 2% Stamp duty of land value (cost of forest wood is excluded when calculating this land value)

- 5.4% VAT on total Revenues from crop if VAT unregistered forest owner with Revenue

- anything else?

So far my understanding for Ltd Company is:

- 12.5% Corporation Tax for farming at crop profits (ie. income tax for company)

- CGT: is it similar for Ltd Company as for Individual?

- 7.5% Stamp Duty: is it on the land value or total value including crop? I guess it should be on land value but good to be sure.

- 5.4% VAT on total revenues from crop if unregistered farmer at Revenue.ie

- accounting fees every year for tax filing to maintain company registration? Any estimate how much per year?

- any other expenses?

Wondering:

Ques 1: Is above understanding correct? Else, better asking - if i buy as a Ltd Company what's taxation rates?

Ques 2. What are the benefits, and dis-advantages over Individual forest owning?

Just looking to separate the taxation for the job Vs forestry, as well as, for later on selling or passing on to family saves 33% Inheritance taxation and other challenges. Any general advise would be great.

Post edited by gt12 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

As you quote from IFAC on the adjacent post, if you're VAT registered, you'll have to charge 23% VAT on timber sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gt12

Hi Accidental forester,

Thanks for your reply. Just collecting bits of info to see what's better value in long term ;)

If I go Ltd Company route, would it be better to go with VAT unregistration to get 5.4% vat rate? Sorry if that's not even possible, I am starting to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

I'm not an accountant (or even a registered forester for that matter) so definitely get professional advice. I don't see where being a limited company will be of benefit in a forestry context. There's a good bit of paperwork and filings involved. My day job is performed as a "trading as" entity, ie. not a limited company. However I am VAT registered due to turnover level. When we bought our plantation (similar to what you describe: a 20+ year plantation), I couldn't buy it in my name as "I" am VAT registered. We bought it in my name and wife's name. Apparently that makes us a separate entity. We didn't want to be in the VAT net for any potential sale of timber or firewood. If your only intention is to eventually clearfell and sell to a mill or contractor, it probably won't matter as they will be VAT registered.

Advertisement