Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for short term Genealogy service

• 21-11-2022 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi all, this is a fantastic forum for tips and links. I've been looking through all the sticky posts and gathering as much information as I can over the past few months and have been building up my family tree in myHeritage.

I've gone as far as I can with the tree and using all of the free services.

Is it worth my while to pay for a short term subscription? e.g. FindMyPast (month pro)?

I don't really have much time to invest, so not sure I'd be utilising the service enough to justify an annual fee. I have few weeks off over Christmas so was hoping to get stuck in again to see if I can find anything beyond my great great grandparents.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My advice would be to allow yourself, say, €100, and spend buy a month's sub in this order:

Findmypast

Rootsireland

Ancestry

Irish News Archive (Black Friday deal going right now actually)

You can review what is on each site in advance of purchase, so you can make a plan for what you'll use each one for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Cheers. So you'd recommend a month sub with FindMyPast as a starting point?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, they have a lot of Irish records and I find their search engine easier to navigate than Ancestry's. Black Friday offer at the moment too. I've put up some links to various offers here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Advertisement