Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel heater is tripping the trip switch - which one is faulty?

Options
  • 21-11-2022 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I have an older style panel heater that trips the switch when its turn on at high heat, but if I turn the dial down it works ok until I turn up the heat setting and then the trip switch drops. There is a second panel heater in the second bedroom but this works fine.

Is the panel heater faulty or the trip switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Difficult to say

Does it drop straightaway when you turn up the dial

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭buzz11

Yes it drops immediatly when the dial is turned up, so its fine at setting 1 &2 but once the dial is at 3 or higher then the trip goes straight away.

I'd presume it's a faulty trip switch could be wrong though they don't give much trouble

Would be easy enough to diagnose on site

Still not making a lot of sense to me this issue

It's emitting heat at 1-2 but trips immediately at 3-4

I presume it's just a thermostatic control of a single element I must be missing something obvious anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Must be a double-element then? Second one has worn insulation. They aren't buggers to open, usually 6 or so screws and a light visual inspection with the power isolated should identify the cause, I'd guess.

Would explain it but it doesn't sound like a double element heater from the description,to me anyhow

If it only has one heating element then it could thermal expansion of the heating element contacting with an earthed surface when on high causing it to trip?

Could be right there .It seems an odd sort of a fault anyway to me ?

There's no real logic to turning up a dial and MCB trips instantaneously at 3-4 , from the description it's providing low heat at 1-2

I proceed with caution anyhow can easily be shown up as a idiot 😁

I was presuming MCB but it could be RCD wasn't thinking there

I don't recall panel heaters being on RCDs but they can be plugged in , as well as being a fixed appliance

Could be what you were saying insulation fault , I dunno, not a fault I've ever heard of

• Advertisement

I demand a root-cause analysis to put our overactive minds at rest. 👍️

An RCD trip like that is nearly always a fault in the appliance anyhow

MCB trip wasn't making much sense to me

I'll try and get a photo of the heater & trip switch 👍️

Advertisement