Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not sure if there was a thread last year but the last one I remember was a mess. Was left unchecked and got overrun by “Current Affairs” types who were being incredibly racist.

I, personally, admire anyone who doesn’t “leave it go” and says something. Hopefully, this thread doesn’t go the same way as that one.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,743 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

See you can report a comment and leave a mod deal with it but when you go off having an argument with somebody over some racist/homophobic comment it just spirals the thread out of control and I often think they enjoy it.

For example somebody says something racist.

If you report and let it go it gets forgotten but it will be dealt with.

If you reply to it and people keep on replying, you get rereg trolls, etc all involved and it gets worse and worse and it's very far from what The Toy Show should be and it achieves nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

He's using children with illnesses to promote his Toy Show. I'm sure that the children and families enjoy the attention but it's exploitation. He's using them for ratings. It's utterly vile. People starting to see through him. Another article on the Independent in the past few hours using a child who is ill to promote himself.

'Sorry to cut across your documentary there, I just want to see if my friend Ella is here,” Tubridy said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Visiting kids in hospital, and showering them with gifts is hardly exploitative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hopefully the mods will be watching the show, and the thread. It’s at an awkward time for anyone who isn’t “into” the show to be modding the forum.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

just once I’d like if they produced the toy show along the tried and tested model that Gaybo and more recently Pat K did.

So, by that I mean the focus being on the children demonstrating and reviewing toys and books and giving reasons for their ratings.

Give them time to think and express themselves.

that should be the main focus of the show.

the presenter should NOT sneer and make unkind nasty jokes at the children’s expense.

Add in a properly Christmas decorated set and a few musical/entertainment interludes with properly Christmas songs, carols and hymns and a few harmless Christmas jokes.

it’s not much to ask is it???

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I really have heard it all now…..if you dislike the toy show you’re racist. Some of the Tubs superfans and sycophants here have really jumped the shark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No, it can certainly be done tactfully and in private.

Posting it all over Instagram however is tacky and exploitative. There are people in the world who can do things without seeking attention for it, Mr. Tubridy however seems incapable of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

At this stage the format of the toy show with Tubridy is fairly well established. If someone is not a fan of Ryan Tubridy and not a fan of the toyshow maybe watch something else on Friday night.

It's not my type of show so I won't watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod note: mods do not watch all shows covered in the forum. If a post is thought to break the charter, report it. We cannot take action on posts we don't read.

And drop the backseat moderation thanks. Again. Report the post, leave it to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am expecting wall to wall plugs for toy show the musical...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wonder will Tubbs say FCUK live on air this year? 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

If he did it off his own bat without photographers or camera crew it might be seen as genuine.

No need for to publicize his "good deeds" if it's not exploitative imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The way it used to be. Kids having a bit of craic.

I'd say this year we'll be getting more Ukraine this and Ukraine that, than we will toys.

It’s quite likely they’ll drop the “Toy” in the title in years to come and replace it with “holiday”- not “Christmas” of course because that wouldn’t be “inclusive”, would it? We couldn’t possibly mention the baby bejesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The word TOY will never be dropped from the title of the show.

Especially given that he has created the tag THE TOYMAN for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully some old school lad in a JCB3CX doesn't dial before he digs and takes out the mains to RTE at 931pm on Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod note: posts deleted, some cards handed out.

Apparently the message hasn't sunk in. Don't like a user? I don't care: report anything charter-infracting, and decline from getting into spats or fights. That includes rather thin attempts to bait & troll people into fights. You know who you are.

• Advertisement

I think the purpose of the toy show started as a public service - helping parents and kids learn about the range of toys available to them. It was a clever and in the main responsible show, highlighting a range of toys at a range of prices and a good combination of traditional toys such as construction models etc through to electronics.

With the internet and especially video reviews, the need for the toy show has long since been made redundant. However I don’t believe it should have morphed (notice subtle toy reference there 😀) into what it’s become today .

My own belief is that kids still love looking at other kids play with and describe toys- there’s an excitement about what toy will they discuss next.

It’s now an “entertainment” show, and if last year is anything to go by, mention of “Christmas” has been nearly cancelled from the show. It’s not right Joe 😀

It’s now an “entertainment” show, and if last year is anything to go by, mention of “Christmas” has been nearly cancelled from the show. It’s not right Joe 😀

I know you're not being entirely seriously but he's promising more of a Christmassy theme this year. Not that a secular toy show is a bad thing, in my opinion. Christians don't have a monopoly on giving each other presents, or toys for that matter.

In fairness on that point I genuinely believe what I posted - I genuinely believe that “Christmas” is being written out, not just on TLLS but all over society- some companies now insist staff should say “Happy Holidays”- feic that- if we had holidays to mark the end of Ramadan or any other religious festival, I’d happily say Happy Ramadan - I don’t see why keeping Christmas as a word offends so many people these days.

Who is it offending, though? I don't think your assumption that they refer to Christmas less is an effort not to offend anyone is anything other than that: an assumption.

For example, I say "happy holidays" more than I say "happy Christmas" these days. Not because I'm afraid of offending anyone but because I want atheists, and people of faiths other than Christian, to feel included in my well-wishes. It's all about inclusion for me, and making people feel welcome, rather than fear of perceived exclusion.

by your thinking then, we should say “happy holidays” for all religious festivals. I think that’s just daft- my “holidays” are my annual leave taken mainly in the summertime.

As a non Muslim I’m more than happy to wish a Muslim Happy Ramadan or if we all got a national holiday for Ramadan, to say Happy Ramadan to everyone, regardless of faith or none- I don’t see how Happy Holidays is “inclusive” or how we are excluding people by saying Happy Christmas-if Christmas didn’t exist, we likely wouldn’t have a holiday (yes I’m aware of pagan festivals having similar dates to the 25th Dec) so call it as it is - our “holiday” is as a result of Christmas just as our national saints day is March 17th and we say Happy St. Patricks/Paddy’s day- it’s not difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,330 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And now we have the American "war on Christmas" BS imported directly into Ireland. 🙄 It's complete nonsense. You're as free as you ever were to say "Happy Christmas" or send a religious themed card or celebrate it in any way you want.

The problem is the people who want Traditional Irish Catholicism™ to be enforced on everyone else and oh boy do they get their knickers into an incredible twist if everything isn't exactly the same and everyone else behaves exactly the same as things were (imagined) to be in the era of their own childhood nostalgia.

Times have changed. Ireland has changed. The Toy Show has changed too. It'd be very odd if it hadn't.

Scrap the cap!

If the government introduced the end of Ramadan as a new national holiday, I think the Current Affairs forum would spontaneously combust from an immediate, collective outrage spiral 🤣

I think the basic reason why Christmas gets a name-change above (say) Easter simply comes down to the branding. It's a festival that, rightly or wrongly, was already 95% secularised centuries before we got to worrying about calling it Winterval or wishing Season's Greetings. Crackers, turkeys, presents, trees, tinsel, Brussel sprouts, good will to all men, Scrooge[*], etc. etc. - aside from the name, how many foundationally Christian aspects remain with the day(s) itself - in all honest? Smart'allicks like to point out the convenience as how the old Feast of Saturnalia coincides with Xmas (alongside so many other Ancient Roman aspects) - isn't there some theological suggestion Christ was actually born in summer? - so not like invention isn't somewhat already baked-in. Same with Easter & Holloween; adoption of old Pagan customs to better convert the old natives, lol.

Anyway. Plenty of shops and people put up Christmas decorations in October->November; it's not like people are especially adherent to the days and tradition itself as a "one and done" day. Many or most people just treat it like a Big End of Year Bash, an excuse to spoil themselves with food and gifts: so why stress that its name might change? It stopped being about Christ aeons ago. I don't like Winterval but it's more honest than Christmas in many respects. Mind you, much harder to fashion a rhyme from Winterval than Christmas, when penning the next Chart Topper.

As to St. PAtrick? Same scenario IMO: branding and popularity stripped the religiosity from it: it stopped being a religious festival decades ago - heck the way the Americans adopted it as a crude excuse to get shít-faced, it debatably stopped being a celebration of Irish culture aeons ago too.

[*] I will go to my grave insisting that the two best adaptations of Christmas Carol are the Muppet's version, and Scrooged.

my “holidays” are my annual leave taken mainly in the summertime.

Come off it, Christmas and St Stephens' Day are public holidays.

Why? Because of Christmas.

Look I’m not saying you don’t have a right to say Happy Holidays or indeed Happy Get Sh1t-faced time if that’s what you want to say- but my right to say Happy Christmas is certainly being eroded and more and more people are saying that it’s not inclusive- well those people can go and sh1te for all I care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Six articles online and a video on rte.ie about his visit yesterday.Something very off about using vulnerable children to promote his TV show. More and more people are starting to see through him. It's upsetting to see vulnerable children being used like this. I think the reason why he's getting nasty comments from teenagers is that they're beginning to see what he's doing. He using young kids for his own vanity. He takes over the whole programme, dancing and singing in the middle of them. As they get older, they realise that they been used by him. He's the one who always wants to be the centre of attention. He's still like a little child.

Post edited by hawley on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement