Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Here's a mad idea what if next year's theme could be........Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It generally is. It could just as easily have become known as the "Late Late Christmas Toy Show" over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Denny61

Tubridy telling.us the show has evolved over the years in reply to viewers wanting to know why no toys on it or lack of .He said its all about childhood now ...sod off you plonker ..everyone knows hates technology and toys and prefer if we all read books .piss of Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭John Electrician33

Next year's toy show Tubridy is banning kids - it will be just him telling jokes, singing and the theme will be ??????????????? RYAN TURBIDY

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

100% agreed

The lack of "Christmas" from the toy show over the last decade is so significantly obvious.

The theme for next year should simply be "Christmas" not some stupid Disney musical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Didn't watch it but bet its changed alot compared to 10 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

Watched to first 30 min to see what it’s ‘up to ‘ and had to turn it off.

. I got the clear impression that RT felt that he had to be in ‘every shot ‘accompanied by he’s silly winks/ face pulls / gesticulating to people /staff around him/ silt body movements , etc, etc, etc.

I wonder what your typical child thought about RT behaviour when he picked up the typical soft toy, tried to get it to work/to say something and then just discarded it by literally throwing it aside. If one picks up a toy -, especially an adult - to examine, demonstrate it or to play with it, and especially on TV, you would expect them to leave it down gently and not to fling , throw or roughly discarded it, youu would expect a child under 6 , while throwing a tantrum to do it. IS OUR RT exempt FROM ACTIONS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kids have always hated looking at other kids singing and dancing. This is for the adults or specifically the affluent mums and dads who send their darlings to acting and dance schools.

On the flip side if you had wall-to-wall toys it may create unrealistic expectations of what 'Santa' might bring.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I got the clear impression that RT felt that he had to be in ‘every shot ‘accompanied by he’s silly winks/ face pulls / gesticulating to people /staff around him/ silt body movements , etc, etc, etc.

It astounds me that I need to say it but RT is the presenter of the programme, he needs to be all over it.

I’m sure some people would love to gawp at a parade of stage-frozen kids stuttering through their presentations but there does need to be an adult there to “steer the ship,” otherwise the HMS Toy Show will be completely rudderless.

• Advertisement

The Sweet spot is determined by NK management though. Not audience or "happy television land" showing my own age now

It’s very telling how your second paragraph mirrors what every parent who can’t no to their kids says about too many toys on the toy show, and then you deride “affluent” people whose kids go to stage schools and their “darlings.” One detects a bang of jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its 2022 who gives a toss what colour the children on the Toy show are,

Can't believe your complaining that there are black children on the toy show what the f*ck is wrong with you go back to your cave in the stone age ,

The show was diverse & white Irish kids out numbered the rest not that that even matters

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

Diversity???

Where were the gender neutral toys??

#outraged!

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The thing is that it might, except kids have Smyths, countless birthday parties and the internet these days.A lot of kids have so much they nearly don't know what they want.

I just think the show is being forced on kids by their 80s-born parents who are nostalgic about it.(I am one myself btw, I just don't force that show on my kids!).I don't think it has as much relevance these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭leath_dub

So what you're saying is that there is no longer a need or demand for a Toy Show?

I agree - let's call it The Late Late Christrmas mid-winter kids variety show. Then at least it will do what it says on the tin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont think anyone is forcing the Toy show on their kids - People are tuning in because their kids want to watch it. Its still hugely relevant in that it was highly talked about and anticipated with excitement in my kids school. The kids were given Toy show art tasks and given sweets to eat while watching the show by their teachers. Kids will lose interest though if the show doesnt improve next year and actually be kid focused like it used to be. Lots of disappointed people with Fridays nights disaster of a TOY show.

I think its special for a family to cosy up together and watch the show - it used to be magical just before christmas - The Toy Show needs to get that christmas magic back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I dont think anyone is forcing the Toy show on their kids ...The kids were given Toy show art tasks and given sweets to eat while watching the show by their teachers.

These days, how many kids watch RTE? Would they be aware of it at all if it wasn't for teachers / parents?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Teachers didn't do Toy show sweets in our school.My eldest was aware of it only due to classroom chatter.The other two - it didn't enter their heads at all.In fact in the end none of them waited up, they decided they'd watch it over the weekend (which suited me!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, it is a reality for some children, but still nothing at all wrong with not wanting young children exposed to such sadness.

Everything with one’s children should be age related and age appropriate, and tales on childhood cancer/death is not really something young children can comprehend and manage. It can be unnecessarily traumatic for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Of course kids would be aware of it ( unless the kids live very sheltered lives) even if they dont watch RTE - it was discussed in school, discussed at after school activities, discussed on radio - it was even mentioned in a shop I was in last week. There was only one parent ( of my kids friends) who didnt know the Toy show was on - she is Asian and doesnt tune into any english language media and doesnt celebrate christmas - her child though was very aware of it and I had to explain to her mother what it was.

I could not disagree with you more. Difficult topics should as death and illness absolutely can be discussed between parents and very young children provided that it is handled sensitively. I would also argue that it would be far more harmful to hide the reality of illness and death from children in the long run.

Incidentally I find your view that sick children should not be on the Toy Show, in other words hidden away from healthy childrens’ sight, because you consider them to be unpalatable to be unspeakably odious.

I don’t know (or care) if you have children so I’m speaking generally but the excuse is often given to hide people from view in lieu of having perceived “difficult” conversations with their children.

They’re usually along the lines of “how can I explain a gay couple adopting a child to my kids” (which is bad enough) but this idea that sick kids should be kept off the telly because you’re too lazy to engage with your own children is absolutely absurd and disgusting to me. You should genuinely be ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Where did I say sick children should not be on tv?

seriously, you really need to tone down your outrage and hostility because people simply have differing views, opinions and takes on quite subjective matters.

maybe it’s your attitude and responses here are what are shameful.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was pretty much the same ten years ago. You'd probably need to go back to the Pat Kenny era to find more toy focused editions and with less singing and dancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

You're offended because I've highlighted your racist discriminatory bias . I don't give a fùk whether they are blonde, black, blue or purple but putting somone on because of their colour is racism

Absolutely not but I tell ya what if it's so irrelevant bring your children to a hospital where children have cancer, have limbs amputated and tell them it could happen to them and then see how traumatised they are and how they'll carry that fear for life

Well in 2022 everybody gives a toss about what colour everyone is apparently

The point was in relation to why have so many people soured to the toy show

If all the kids were from kerry people would complain and they would be right because that would not be representative

It's supposed to be a show about toys and christmas and happiness, it's none of these things now. There's no christmas, little in the way of toys and it's brought the misery by exploiting children with disability and illness

Saying it's racist to put black kids on the Late Late show is complete rubbish, no matter how often you repeat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time.

You really need to learn what racism is before spouting rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement