Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband - Rural Wi Fi vs 3

Options
  • 21-11-2022 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I have just moved to a new house in Leitrim and have no access to 'regular' internet.

I had accepted that my only option was to go with Satellite Broadband (there is a dish on the house). I phoned Rural Wi Fi and the sales Guy did a search and advised I would be a candidate for wireless broadband as there was a mast or two nearby. I explained that my phone's mobile data was very poor here (Vodafone). He kind of dismissed this.

My questions are could wireless still work from Rural Wi Fi even though my mobile data service here is so poor?

Secondly if it might be an option is there any point is getting locked into a contract with Rural Wi Fi. I mean since there are so many posts on here suggesting they use the three network. They advise getting a three sim and buying your own router.

Yours somewhat clueless.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Did you get a confirmation from Rural Wifi that it's the mobile network they'll be using?

They have both Fixed Wireless AND Mobile Broadband offerings:

Looks like their fixed wireless uses Ubuquitis Wifi-based access network. I'd ask them which tech would they use for your house. If it's the mobile-broadband option, then you'd be better off getting your own three SIM and router.

It does look like they install a high-gain antennae, so you might want to factor that in if doing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks for the response.

I don't think they're installing an antenna as they are just sending me the router in the post to set up myself. On their site it is described as Rural Wireless Broadband.

*** Edit. I just phoned Rural Wi-Fi again to see what masts they were using (as in providers). I just got some sales pitch about them using different providers which is a great thing as if one is busy you can switch. And they will research which is best for me and send me the relevant sim.

He wasn't going to spill the beans if he did know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

That's the 3G/4G option then, not the long-range-wifi. You're better off getting your own 4G-router (or 5G), and grabbing an external antenna to try and improve the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks a mill. Any suggestions re the router. Nothing complicated. I'm not a tech Guy.

So I guess I just buy a 3 sim first. Try it out in my phone and if the signsl is decent buy a router.

Thanks again.

Advertisement