Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone is 5G. Do I need a new SIM?

Options
  • 21-11-2022 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

On Vodafone red unlimited at 35/month. Got a new iPhone 14 which has 5G. Can I carry on using my current SIM and plan or do I need a new SIM and/or plan?

The phone is not from Vodafone, I bought it SIM free.

Can't find anything on it as such on the website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

The €35 Vodafone Red Unlimited is speed capped at 10Mbps so 5G is of no real benefit to you.

Their cheapest SIM only plan with unlimited allowances and 5G is €45 a month, or €30/28 days on pay as you go.

To be honest, if you're keen on 5G I'd look around at what the other networks are offering - Vodafone's network really isn't what it used to be, their 4G network trails behind Three while the 5G network is absolutely laughable in comparison to both Three and Eir.

Check coverage maps for all the networks here: https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map?location=&technology=5g

Then go shopping on www.eir.ie and www.three.ie and see which works out best overall.

Advertisement