Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two earth's in light housing

Options
  • 22-11-2022 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I went to replace the light in my downstairs bathroom with a new Ikea light, which has no need for an earth. So I had planned to tape up the exisinting earth and leave it to the side and then connect up the live and neutral as normal, but when I opened up the housing of the old light, I found two earth's. Am I right connecting the earth's together via a connector block (as attached)? I presume the second earth is something connected upstream?

I've connected up the live and neutral and have the two earth's connected together now via a terminal strip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, correct, you need to maintain continuity for any other light fixtures which do use earth, so you would normally join them up.

You can do this by inserting the wires from the same side of the connector block, if this makes it easier.

Advertisement