Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It would be really ironic if this OK — ‘no great shakes’ Dutch team win the WC ahead of all those ‘great’ teams that didn’t.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Probably not ironic, but it'd be a bit of a surprise alright. They'll need to catch a few breaks for that to happen i think though. Argentina (most likely) in the next round will be their first real bit of a test. How they handle that will tell us a lot for how they might handle the genuine favourites like Brazil and France later on.

They got through today handy enough, but at the same time they gifted a lot of good chances that better finishers would have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Between 4 to 5 inches. On my phone so can not link but checked it up yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I suppose in reality it doesn't really matter - as long as the outer edge is where it's meant to be. The rest of it is just for easy visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Advertisement

I found it here England FA guidelines- marking of pitch

LINE MARKING

Multi-line Marking on Single Pitches

FIFA rules stipulate (Law 1 The field of play) that where 3G Football Turf pitches are being used 11v11 adult pitch should be marked in white. Other lines are permitted provided that they are of a different colour and clearly distinguishable. The lines must be of the same width which must not be more than (12cm) 5 inches. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So if the line in the Japan game was 5” wide and the ball was just over the line from the outer sphere edge- Belgium could feel hard done by 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Australia win would be amazing - and very funny - but surely not. Can see Argentina winning by 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

2-0 seems to be the Argentina score this tournament. They are at the same time comfortable and terrible looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Can’t see the Aussies winning. Very one dimensional the last game. Sat back and soaked it up, got lucky as Denmark were toothless. Argentina on the other hand were weirdly trying to hand the ball to Messi at every opportunity and not taking their chances. They should still come through this unscathed.

• Advertisement

Silly penalty call.

Aussies have started brightly, hunting down everyone that crosses the half way line immediately.

The Aussies play like I think Ireland - could/should. So I will be shouting for them. And sure if they lose I can shout for Argentina and McAlister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is it strange to see such a dirty looking pitch at this stage of the World Cup. It could help Australia, aussie rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

haven't seen many in Qatar to be honest, they frown on that

Messi scores. Just when it looked like Australia were doing well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Messi.. GOAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Great finish by Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Would happy for argentina to get through just for their fans. Alot lf games have had poor atmospheres but the argie fans are great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Their fans create the best atmospheres.

• Advertisement

Apparently that’s the first goal Messi has scored in a WC knockout game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ronaldo is pushing Portuguese fa to protest for that goal to be given to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Wasn't that I pressed by Holland TBH. Very boring to watch, of course ots9not their job to entertain the likes of me, but they are very staid under Van Gaal. Have they another gear in them, that's the question? They will likely need it either in the quarter or semi finals, they will need to come out of their shells.

It's one thing the likes of Australia trying to bore the pants of everyone, but The Netherlands.... Johan must be Cryff turning in his grave.

Oh dear... game over

What has Ryan done? Probably game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Calamity Ryan. 2-0 Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

That is criminal from the GK , game over

Sometimes you just have to put your foot through the ball.

• Advertisement

Messi has definitely still got it , be a shame if he leaves for the MLS next summer

Argentina are beginning to play some very controlled and good football. Some nice players outside of the main man.

Comeback is on. 😂

Deflected .... but you have to buy a ticket sometimes.

Now we have an intetesting finish at least.

Kept up their record of scoring in every game.

Very fortunate deflection for Australia to make it 2-1. That shot was probably going well wide of the left post and it completely changed its trajectory ending up in the right corner. Keeper had no chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Murphy on BBC was talking about being tempted to take off Messi to rest him. This is why you don't. If you take him off and it all goes wrong then you'll never live it down. Maybe take him off if it's 4-0.

• Advertisement

Very sloppy from Argentina. It could have been 2-2.

What a run, nearly the goal of the tournament !!

Damn. Martinez prevented goal of the tournament.

Argies have to seriously improve, out of the expected QF’s I think they have been the least impressive, I’m really not seeing anything.

To beat Holland then Brazil then one of fra/eng/por/ Spain they need to massively increase their performances, I feel like I’m missing something when people talk about them as one of the favs.

Awful miss after Messi did the hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

If Argentina don’t see it out after that miss..............

Messi could have had a hat trick of assists tonight. Poor finishing has denied him. Messi has been class, probably man of the match.

WHAT A CHANCE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So close for Australia, lucky save ,hits his arm, made himself big, and got lucky ball struck a part of him

Martinez did well, great save. Australia don't deserve an equaliser, and they haven't got one. It's all over, Argentina should have take any of their numerous chances to kill the game. It almost caught them at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I screamed - frightened my dogs. I was hoping it went in for extra time.

Definitely Messi’s best game of the World Cup so far , hope Argentina can go all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't think Argentina will be winning this WC, they're too jittery and seem to panic a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

They seem to be celebrating a victory over the Aussies like the won the world cup

Argentinas have yet to be tested in any way really, I mean Australia tbf to them were absolutely blessed to make it to this round.

While the dutch haven't been overly impressive I think they will have enough for this Argentina team who have a few players who don't like running when they don't have the ball.

The dutch are much more together and play like a team with everyone puting in a shift

• Advertisement
Advertisement