Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Messi is one of the greatest 2 natural talents I have ever seen play football, but I really wish he wasn't surrounded by the shi*housery of De Paul, Romero, Acuna etc. They got away with a lot from this referee, no Argentineans booked, despite a two-footed lunge from Romero early on, and several leaving the foot down on the other player's boot from Acuna. De Paul got a dressing down for not taking the throw ins quick enough, but no cards. Otamendi was all over Soutter for a corner, but once the Australian got his header away, Otamendi tried to claim that he had been fouled.

This ref must have his eye on getting another game later. They are like a second grade Uruguay but have much better-quality players. Despite all that though, they are just a Messi injury away from being ordinary. I wonder could the Dutch channel the "spirit" of the 2010 team, that decided that violence was preferable to football and kicked Spain up and down the pitch for 120 minutes? Eight of their starting 11 got booked that day. It could switch the balance in their favour if they could nobble the Albiceleste talisman early doors.

Before I hear that all teams are at it - I'll have to look for the team that does it least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would agree with that, although not spectacular the Dutch seem to have a solidity about them that the the Argentines don't as you say. Plus don't they say every Dutch player is basically a manager on the pitch? I am not sure many of the Argentines are like that. Holland are extremely adaptable tactically. And LVG will have some plan no doubt.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Christ I'd forgotten that Netherlands performance in the 2010 final. Shocking stuff. I'd say a few of the Spanish players get a bit stiff in their ankles in cold weather these days because of that game.

The Dutch damn near won it by playing 'total' dirt as well. It would have been awful if they won it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Nigel de Jong one of the main culprits as I remember. He now has a handy gig on Bein Sports sitting in between Richard Keys and Andy Gray. Fitting, really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,299 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Argentina are now second favourites to win the tournament outright at 5/1

They are hot favourites to beat the Netherlands which I find very odd.

If Messi plays well they have a good chance, if he doesnt they will be well beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

A comment on something that bugs me - the stupidity of players taking off their shirts and getting a yellow card. I don't know the yellow card count between Cameroon and Switzerland but qualification would have come down to that if Serbia equalised and the Cameroon goal scorer got a yellow for removing his shirt in injury time. He would have been a real prat if it cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

It’s been a rule to get a yellow card for time wasting by taking off your shirt since 2004. Pre-dates most of the current players starting of their careers, so there is no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Argentina look vulnerable defensively, particularly Otamendi and the goalkeeper Martinez of Aston Villa. I think they will beat the Dutch but Brazil look the most impressive side in the tournament -overlooking the dead rubber tie against Cameroon. They look very solid at the back and the goals will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

I think I still fancy France. They are at least as solid as Brazil I think, and they have Mbappe. I don’t think anyone has looked the outstanding team yet, but I think France will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He'd definitely smash it. If 'it' is the ribcage of a Spanish midfielder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it will be a Poland v Senegal quarter final, Poland to cause an upset, Senegal to beat England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The BBC trying to wind people up again!

"Netherlands and Argentina won on Saturday to set up the first quarter-final on Friday, but who will join them? Two more of football's powerhouses in France and England will try to on Sunday, but will they succeed?"

France World Cups 2, European Championships 2

England World Cups 1

Maybe they were using the Netherlands (1 win also) to squeeze in England there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

The BBC seemed to go totally overboard on the Argentina performance. I found the game a bit boring. Rio Ferdinand described Messi's performance as one of the greatest individual performances ever. Do I need to re-watch the game for bits I seemed to missed or are the BBC being a bit OTT?

• Advertisement

Messi was very quiet for most of the game the RTE line was he was conserving energy. Not closing down etc. Especially in the first half bar his piece of magic.

Then second half last part he really switched it on and was a major part in getting Argentina over the line.

Only thing that can stop France is complacency. Game looks too easy for them at times and they get bored-switch off.

They could be caught by that late goals conceded or something after coasting. But I can’t see Deschamps letting that happen if he does his job. This France team look even better than the 2018 side.

Are people really taking Rio in particular and the BBC panel seriously?

Their job is to troll, get a reaction, get an online hit for their opinions and witty bants.

They are in no way insightful or informative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A lot of people will follow you on that I reckon, over 70/1 double.

Poland should be well and truly Battered today and I hope they are as they have really offered very little entertainment value so far. They have played with their main man completely on his own up front with no support. When they do decide to move forward, their defence is shown up. Couple of early French goals today would be nice and force Poland out of their defensive shell, thus leading to more French goals probably.

England game is rather intriguing. England under pressure could very easily crumble but I'm not sure Senegal will be good enough to do that. I'm expecting a close game but England's quality is better overall, but Southgate might be uber defensive in his setup which would give Senegal a better chance. If they really go offensive they should win but he won't do that from the outset which should make it more of a game for neutrals to enjoy.

70/1....... So if you put on a fiver, you'll win nothing!

Zero chance I'd say, particularly with Poland who are a poor enough side. Functional enough, but with Lewa struggling without being surrounded by superstars they are not going to beat France.

Without Mane, I can't see Senagal beating England, but they will cause them trouble. I'd like to see Senegal go ahead to see how England react.

Like Holland, opinion seems to suggest that the team is being 'held back' by conservative coaching. That may be correct, but given the schedules of games maybe this slow, tempered approach is what's required? Even France are playing this approach, sitting in but with the explosivness of Mbappe.

It'll be a team with a big squad that wins it, so probably France or Brazil (no great insight there I know, really sticking my neck out )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Most of the tips sites seem to be predicting a close game between Spain and Morocco, likely going to extra time.

I'd forgotten that they drew 2-2 in the group stages in 2018.

Maybe the hiding of Costa Rica has given us an inflated idea of Spain's capacities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I feel this game is trickier than a lot are predicting. I know Poland were bad against Argentina but surely there will be a reaction to that. It has the feel of that France/Switzerland game at the Euros where France got a surprise. I hope they don't think they just need to turn up to win. I'll go France to edge it after a scare or two along the way.

BBC coverage is best avoided, its not sincere or genuine.

Their constant virtue signalling, lecturing and identity politics panels have destroyed their coverage.

I watched some of their analysis after the game and it was completely over the top, eulogising about Messi.

It was a poor match, apart from a few moments, and Argentina were hanging on in the end against a very limited Australian side.

Piers Morgan had a pop at Lineker and his chums

Messi hasnt closed down players in over 5 years, he usually covers the least amount of distance by any player on the pitch by a long way.

Thats how he plays now, in fits and bursts, most of the time he is just walking around .

I guess he thinks he only needs to switch on a few times in a game to make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Poland to play 10 @the back,with lewi on the halfway line, hopefully a couple of early French goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Piers Morgan is only saying that because he has a new horn for his best buddy Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Poor old Matty Cash has a tough time trying to stopp Mbappe.

Big miss from Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Frankowski very lucky there that France didn't score. Terrible first touch and then passed it straight to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

The way it’s started is bearing this out. Bad miss by Giroud there. Poland very much in the game though

• Advertisement

What a series of chances for Poland. Should have been a goal. First shot straight at Lloris.

They're making a game of it Poland. Don't know how they didn't score there.

Great goal line clearance from Varane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Am I the only one who thinks free kicks from outside the penalty area have been dreadful in this World Cup ? Another awful one so far in this game by Lewandoski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

BBC comms fawning over that save from Lloris. It was literally straight at him.

If he doesn’t save that, they’d be calling it a howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

I did wonder how your man was getting away with the jewellery

Now Poland have paid for those misses. Giroud, 1-0 France.

Giroud with the breakthrough. Nice finish.

I just wonder does the wall really be 10 yards back. My guess is no.

Would love to see refs get stricter on this and see more goals from direct free kicks as a result.

Lloris a lucky fella there. He's looked nervous. Not been a convincing display from France defensively.

• Advertisement

Lloris is so dodgy, surprised France haven't anyone better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shaving foam must scarce to mark the ground 😁.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Poland losing, but should be winning

It was more surprising the extra time was only 2 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poland beginning to come forward a bit more, France will surely be looking for a breakaway goal with the speed they have on the wings.

Whistle was a tad early, Lovely goal won't count.

• Advertisement

Lewandowski for me, has been as ineffective as the likes of Suarez, Ronaldo and Bale.

Very unfair on Suarez that.

He was brilliant in the Ghana game, led the line well and played hell, involved in both goals. He s like the others, he can't do it for 90min every few days, but he has something to offer, and when the chips were down he was good.

Not his fault that Uruguay were chasing goals with him, Nunez and De Arrascaeta watching on helplessly

MBAPPE!

2-0, Mbappe. That's probably it for Poland.

There it is. France 2-0.

Game over now, might see another few French goals now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement