Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I still can't figure out what Walker does that gets him a contract with a team as big as Man City.

If England play a back 4 and he gets dragged around by Mbappe then Theo is gonna have a great time on that wing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyone hear any update on Sterling's absence?

Its mad that England has lost 2 players to personal issues. Good for England as it forces Southgate to play the much better Foden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A break in at his home in Surrey, flew home , I find it a bit extreme to fly home for this though, unless family was harmed, but it's not the case, just shook up I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Reports that an armed break-in took place at his home in Surrey on Saturday night, with his family at home while intruders invaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I could totally understand wanting to be with his partner and kids in that event alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Two tasty quarter-finals already. Bottom right looks like a battle in Iberia, even though Spain will have a real game on their hands. I presume we can now go and tip Japan for a win, while Neymar-powered Brazil should easily beat South Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Morocco will give Spain a good run for it I reckon, is Neymar back? Thought I read he would likely miss the rest of the tournament, Vini Jr is their key man in attack anyway in all honesty. If they keep him and Casemiro fit, they should come through in another tough game v Korea

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm no fan of England at all but I found Darragh Maloney and Ronnie Whelan to be quite childish in their anti English bias. Darragh was practically watering at the mouth when he thought Senegal were going to get a pen with the Stones' handball and Ronnie came across so bitter after England’s first goal.

Ronnie did seem to ease a bit at least when he realised England were going to cruise to victory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Neymar doesn't play are they going to have another ego wnking funeral procession for him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Walker is a versatile and intelligent footballer that is why. He can adapt his game when required when England need to change shape. I view him as a Dutch type mentality player. There is an interview he did with five live or Talksport a few months ago. Where he spoke very articulately about different tactical nuances and changes of position. He is no fool.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

RTE coverage of anything to do with English soccer is always odd. They don’t know whether to boo/cheer. Even Sadilier felt awkward wanting England to beat Senegal so they can play France.

Even at club level I always get the impression the RTE commentary are ‘shouting’ for British teams in Europe. The tone is different really odd state of affairs. I suppose it reflects a lot of Irish society. Total confusion for a lot of people.

But then it results in a bit of an identity crisis if an opposing footballer says Ireland play ‘British football’. Or are a British side. But all the Irish national players play in Britain!

I had to laugh today how Bono’s young one was bristling having being called ‘British’ by the NY times. But I think the confusion for ‘more distant’ foreigners is understandable. Ireland’s Close ties to Britain -same language, similar jurisprudence to England. Also similar cultural values - pop culture - music - film - sport- pub culture- sport and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Being called 'British' by the NY times is not understandable. This isn't some idiot being asked random geography questions on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Didn’t notice any particular anti-English bias last night, I think commentators in general have a tendency to sound more excited when the favourite for the match concedes or has a chance of losing. It was the same when Argentina lost to the Saudis and both Japan games.

Anyway, even if there was, it’s fairly normal for country to want to see a neighbour lose. I know plenty of Brazilians that feel the same way about Argentina that many Irish feel about England!

Our commentators are actually pretty bland. I would say we are far more kind to the former colonial masters than Moroccan TV will be to the Spanish tomorrow.

This was the ad that an Argentinian condom company designed before a BRA vs ARG game, showing what Argentina would do to Brazil

Brazil won the game, and their football federation placed this ad after the match!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Neither did I. Up until the goal england were dreadful and the commentary reflected that. There was a reasonable expectation that Senegal might have had a penalty too given some of the decisions.

I wasn’t going to go there the accents would be indistinguishable to American ears. Plus would we know the difference between Laos/Vietnam for example? It is over that direction somewhere.

If you look at it from a football context. Ireland’s greatest goal scorer has picked up a few phrases like ‘ever so well’ from his time in England.

And when in America I saw him in clips where he said the American type of pronunciation of defence/offence. ‘Dee-fence’ etc

As for Ireland and England rivalry in soccer. Is it really a ‘rivalry’ ? It has not been a competitive one since the mid to late 90’s.

And from an English point of view Ireland does not even register on their radar as a rival .

But the English might ‘cheer’ Ireland as one of the ‘home nations’ if Kenny does manage a miracle and get Ireland to the Euros proper. In a way I find that more annoying- pat on the head stuff.

I don’t see England beating France. But I honestly would consider myself neutral, makes no difference to me. Unless I had money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

He looks so confident and sure of himself. How the hell is he only 19? I finally see now why every club in football wants him.

Bellingham has done it consistently now and with composure. And only 19!

Compared to the Micky Mouse players Ireland have and limited (Micky Mouse) management it is a bit sickening. This level is like watching a different sport as far as I am concerned.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

A lot of rivalries are like that. England don't care about us and think Germany is their big rival but Germany don't give a sht about England. Germany measure themselves against the other big boys like Italy and Brazil.

Canada have USA but USA have Mexico and Mexico care a lot more about beating the South American sides.

Also we could have given England a game up until the Southgate era but that says a lot more about the state they were in rather than anything good about us.

Even your fellow Corkman Roy Keane was purring over Bellingham. And he rarely gives high praise to any footballer. If I was Bellingham I’d be chuffed with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Will be a tough game, and feel it's probably a good thing for England to meet a team like France this early. Would likely need to beat France if you want to win the tournament anyway as I'd have them as favorites to win the WC.

If England can get past them they should have nothing to fear from the other teams on their side of the draw and none of the teams on the other side have really stood out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I actually think England will win this. It's going to suit them down to the ground where France will want to have the ball and get at them and England will just look to sucker punch them on the break. It's what Southgate sets them up best to do...

I did have to laugh tho, I was watching Sky Sports News this morning before work and they were discussing a combined French / English team. A total of 2 French players in the team!! Like WTF!!!

Deschamps is very pragmatic and a bit like Southgate in how he thinks international football should be played.

I think he would rather England have the ball (which they are not very good at) than risk being caught on the counter.

Both teams pretty similar in their strengths and weaknesses. Especially in goals where surely between Loris and Pickford the law of averages says one of them will fk up. I don't think either is no.1 for their country but loyalty and circumstances sees them starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

If England put together a team of un-capped players together they would probably beat this Ireland team

Why do the Japanese fans tidy up after themselves answered here -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The one's that have been knee-capped would probably struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would throw money on it being 0-0 or 1-1 and going to penalities. Southgate will switch to his preferred three CBs with possibly Walker RCB and Trippier RWB to double up on Mbappe. Only question would be does he go midfield two of Rice and Bellingham with three attackers, or keep that midfield trio to match France in midfield and go with someone to partner Kane and have Bellingham playing as the advanced of the midfield trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Good game this one, the japs are playing well.

That was beautiful football from Japan, should have been a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Really good chance there for Japan to take the lead. Everything was good until the finish.

Really enjoying watching the Japanese. Very smart footballers by the looks of it.

Now Japan have the lead. A bit scrappy, but they won't care.

There is a question of possible offside.

The goal stands. 1-0 Japan. They have been the better team I think, just about.

Fully deserved!

Was listening to some ex-pros this morning. Not in the media - just eaves-dropping.

They all wondered how come Bellingham wasn't taken out before he got the pass away for the opener. Apparently that would have been the "football" thing to do. Take a yellow, stop a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

An incredible story from Poland https://bit.ly/3OZ4fKr

Croatia are level. Excellent header.

Fantastic save by the Japanese keeper to deny Modric, from an equally brilliant strike from outside the box.

Never a free on Kamada there, and Japan would've been on a serious break.

Oh Tomyasu! From there, just shoot!

I'd love to see Croatia f*ck off home. I know it's ingrained in the game, but the amount of roaring/screaming these 'men' are doing with minimal contact is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Real shame Japan don't seem to have a full 90 competitive minutes in them, I think Croatia are just going to let them run themselves out here.

EDIT:Here comes taki lad, could be a super sub.

We're going to have our first bout of extra time in this World Cup. 1-1 at full-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Only getting a chance to watch now. Any side shading it or has it been pretty even?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Japan were very good in the first half...deserved the lead.

But Croatia gradually inched their way back into it and have been very very slowly turning the screw since they got the goal.

Will be surprised if this doesn't go to penalties tbh

Advertisement