Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Williams robbed a loose ball from the keeper as he was kicking it clear but slipped before he could finish it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Imagine the look on Ronaldo's face had Williams of scored that😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would have been so much fun if that last chance went in. We would be joking about it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That Brazil line-up looks seriously strong. Hoping to see Neymar and Vini Jr. dazzle tonight.

Mitrovic got the nod ahead of Vlahovic. Interested to see how CB Pavlovic does as I read a few Serbian fans comparing him to Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd find Brazil so much easier to get behind if Neymar wasn't such a detestable human being :-/

I hate that just because he is the anointed Brazilian forward we are seemingly obligated to include him in all conversations about great players since he was a kid.

The Brazilians can't handle that Argentina had an all time legend in Messi and they didn't so we all had to mollycoddle them.

Plenty of better and more decorated players in football.

You especially know a fella isn't the nicest in the world when he's the Brazilian teams talisman - and half their own country despises him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not sure you will ever see Cancelo have a worse game.

Plenty to work on for Portugal, but they got the 3 points and their forwards got among the goals so I suppose you have to say job done.

What was the keeper thinking at the end 🙈

Ghana showed enough at times that if they were let loose or played with a bit more belief they could cause problems for Uruguay who were no great shakes either

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Your a Liverpool fan if I'm not mistaken so to make it relevant to that, how is Neymar more detestable as a human than Luis Suarez for example?

Just making the assumption it isn't the character or lack of, of a player that would be the determining factor in whether you can get behind a team or not, know what I mean?

Oh I'm really not a fan of his divey whiny nonsense, and definitely find him a tough watch, but that's not what I'm talking about.

He's a much worse fella off the football field than he is on it. He's a staunchly outspoken far right-winger, throwing all his support firmly behind (former) extreme right-wing president Bolsonaro. Also kept throwing these massive parties during Covid with hundreds of people, at it's harshest time, when Brazil was really struggling (the right-wing Bolsonaro position was that covid was no big deal). And of course had his contract cancelled by Nike for sexual assault of one of their employees. Which obviously was a huge deal for Nike to have done, given how they've tried to have every big Brazil player for the past few decades. He's just a massively rubbish fella basically.

(I've a lot of Brazilian friends, and connections through work, so end up in the middle of all their discussions over the past few years - hugely divided country right now, primarily because of people like Neymar and Bolsonaro)

Cause of that big Liverpool vs PSG rivalry 🤔

I'm an AC Milan fan who gates Neymar so interesting to see your dot connect for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair play to Tony O’D mentioning that Ronaldo is a diver and just dived for pen to Didi when he was going on about Neymar -took the words out of my mouth

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Seems to be a fair few South African fans appearing at matches - I only noticed because I want to make sure I don’t miss some fella with a Mayo jersey or ‘Mayo 4 Sam’ sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Reckon the Serbs win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah Neymar is the Lewis Hamilton of soccer. One of those modern day sporting divas that loves themselves.

They look very pumped up - could be a lot of yellow cards

Even in the Brazil team I think. Alves for example. Although in fairness to Neymar he was carrying Brazil in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Someone said a serious looking Brazil team

I think it's the weakest they have ever had. Outside of Vini Jr who has had a couple of great seasons. Neymar always flatters to deceive. Paqueta looks average at West Ham. Raphina doing OK at Barca.

Then you have Richarlison and Casemiro, not playing well of late.

Left back Alex Sandro rarely plays for Juve.

Old CBs.

Can't see them winning the tournament.

As each WC passes, the Brazilians have less and less flair. They play just like every other team.

• Advertisement

Carrying them to what ?

They were very average in 2014 and Thiago Silva was far more the loss in the semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bit surprised Mitro is playing: would it not make sense to make sure he is fully recovered for the do or die later group games. Maybe they think a match would bring on his fitness even if they don't realistically expect to get a result...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

What a terribly boring match. Serbia so wasteful with the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Brazil look like they good do with Firmino to open up the space for others up front, Can't believe wasn't brought as a different option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

How is Raphinha on the Brazil team ? Very poor player, can't finish, was awful when he was at Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Have to agree all there big names are past there best ,

How in the world Richarlison starts is beyond me ,

Been thinking back, was the last real flair filled Brazil team 1986?

Since then they have been very European like in their approach.

He was Leeds' top scorer and they would have been relegated without him.

What year was the one with Ronaldinho Rivalado Cafu ? that was Brazilian flair in my head anyway.

The one with David Luiz and Fred was a disaster anyway. I remember a Brazilian fella talking about them to me unable to hide his disgust at Fred in particular.

The year they beat England?

Trying to remember back, I know if you had the likes of Rivaldo and Ronaldinho, you'd think they'd be filled with flair, but I also think they had a lot of journeymen too in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just checked his Leeds record, 17 goals in 65 games, roughly a goal every 4 games, might have been good enough to help them avoid relegation, but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

They had Denilson on the bench who was a baller, was used as a sub though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nah....Lucio, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Juninho..... that team was stacked to high heavens.

It was the year Brazil won it 2002 - found the team from the England match QF.

Marcos, Roque Junior, Lucio, Edmilson, Cafu, Gilberto, Ronaldinho, Kleberson, Carlos, Ronaldo, Rivaldo.

Subs: Belleti, Ceni, Denilson, Dida, Edilson, Juninho Paulista, Junior, Kaka, Luizao, Polga, Ricardinho, Vampeta

The back fellas and forwards were the stars. I suppose you could argue the midfield was ‘functional’?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not one mention of the original Ronaldo? Tut tut, lads.

The hatred towards Neymar from these RTE commentators is ridiculous. Gets yanked to the ground and they're claiming he dived.

Richarlson is a headless chicken.

Jesus should replace him.

Roberto carlos-esque strike there.

Ugh, gutting.

• Advertisement

Richarlison scores. Get in. Great play from Neymar in the build, seconds after Houghton had been moaning about him.

Serbia need Kostic and Vlahovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Another dislikeable person has scored this evening.

That is why yourself and Didi H. aren’t managing Brazil. He wanted him hooked as well.

To be fair, Richarlison was lucky to still be on the pitch, been awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Will someone dispose of the screaming girl?

The Qatari's need to do a better job of the positioning of their rent-a-fans! That same immensely loud shrieker from the Argentina Saudi game is here in force again. Same position, in the same stadium - presume she just has the role of screeching any time anything happens, regardless what game, or who's playing.

• Advertisement

🤣

He's average. His work rate is good.

Jesus is a better all round player.

I remember I saw him playing Ireland in a friendly thinking he couldn’t be that good. So I watched him closely he was strolling around the place. Then when the ball came near him he came to life, lightening fast, close control, and he a big lump.

I don’t know it’s close, problem is Jesus is a workhorse - Shane Long type striker as well. Maybe they think one is enough?

• Advertisement
Advertisement