Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

For so long it's nearly always been the way if you get a shot away in the box any foul after doesn't count I've never known why, possibly you could argue about the ball going out of play some of the time maybe. But it seems it's just ingrained into peoples head for no reason and they just don't question it. And even argue for it.

It's such a stone wall penalty though probably one of the clearest of the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Duff on flying form in RTE studio. Dropping the shoulder is Messi’s best trick says he. Much better than Robona’s or Cruyff turns.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, that's one of those insanely maddening things about football reffing for me! You see a fella scythed down in the box from a late challenge that gets let go just because the fella got a shot away. The fact the shot was away should be the reason its a foul, as it shows just how late the challenge was.

The big distinction why that shouldn't apply here is that the shooting opportunity is directly impeded by the foul, whereas usually when we see it let go the challenge doesn't actually impact the shot, with a slide coming in from the side afterwards or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very comfortable from Argentina in the end, Croatia never looked a threat.

Would be some going from Argentina to win the tournament after losing their opener to Saudi Arabia, that feels like a lifetime ago now!

O ya good point about the impeding too actually, i think the goalkeeper being the one making the challenge kinda warps peoples minds a bit too if a defender did the same action I doubt any would be saying not a peno. Even though it doesn't change anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Absolutely. The chap loves a good aggressive tackle to be fair.

Outside of the last round of group games this world cup has been a meh from me, not sure there was one enjoyable game since then. With many surprises it lead to a walk in most games in the last 16.

I've enjoyed watching Morocco most which says it all really, so many unlikeable stars of the game, and most of the talented teams seem to have awful or defensive managers some have both. Didn't work for me at this time of year either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This was a completely mundane, non dirty game of football and somehow you think Argentina should have set a record for yellow cards in a single game? Get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Completely agree. Totally ‘normal’ game in terms of aggression and fouls. The level of dislike for Argentina is a bit bizarre tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I watched highlights again this morning, and still can't see why that was a penalty.

The keeper has to come out to try to block the shot. If anything, he slowed up and the striker ran into him. I don't see anything the keeper could have done to get out of the way.

Add to this the fact that the player got his shot off before the contact, and it was a rubbish effort.

Feel sorry for the keeper. Did nothing wrong IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Going back to what Jose calls the "ghost" goal in 2005 the ref came out and said if he had not of awarded Liverpool the goal he would have given them a penalty and sent Cech off it was the exact same thing so I dunno why people think it wasn't a penalty.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mundane and low aggression don't mean there were not offences that should have been bookings. again, 4 players got free hits on Kovacic. Ref dismissed 2 of them, played advantage for one which lead to the 4th just kicking him. A minimum of 3 of the fouls were worthy of yellow cards. Deliberate, professional fouls.

Messi deliberately stopped a Croation counter moments before the third goal by pulling a player back. It was a yellow card offence. By rights he should either be suspended for last night or suspended for the final.

De Paul was allowed rant at the ref for ages and not even warned. Kovacic was very quickly booked for questioning the penalty.

Same story as the last match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Yellow cards were wiped after the quarter finals. A yellow card for Messi would have had no impact on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Messi dug deep last night, and left it all on the pitch. He done all he could, did Ronaldo? Ronaldo calls himself the supreme athlete , the strongest, the fittest, and yet in the whole world cup he covered a mile in all the games, while a Chinese man in his 50's ran a marathon in 3 hours last week, 26 miles, while chain smoking. So how can someone as young as Ronaldo, who is super fit, not do more than stand still, or walk, and only come alive when he gets the ball. I think he has got lazy this past year, Messi is forever busy, as is Modric, who is Ronaldo's age, yet covers every blade of grass, he tends to be the one with the last ditch tackle to save a shot on goal, when everyone is wondering where are all the defenders.

Ronaldo at the moment at club level and international level is getting carried, it's why no one wants him, and again it's not as if he can't do more, he simply doesn't , that's not giving 100%, it's giving 25%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It was a penalty. I struggle to see what the controversy is.

Yes, the keeper was unlucky, but if you rush out to try and smother a shot, you have to get the ball and not hit the player. he didn't get the ball and he hit the player. If the keeper had not been there to hit the player and not the ball, Alvarez would have had an easier shot and scored. The only reason Alvarez tried to finish like that was because of the keeper.

It's a definite penalty.

Is it annoying if you're pulling for Croatia? Yes. Is it unfortunately yet another penalty for Argentina in this World Cup? Yes. But it's a penalty.

I'd have far more of an issue with the license many of their players seemed to have to rant at the referee - and he's normally very strong. De Paul was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Correct, and incorrect. A yellow card by itself would have not led to a suspension, but it could have curtailed Messi getting involved in anything else for the rest of the game. Unconsciously it lets Argentina know that they are going to get away with a lot more than they should.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but Paredes, cleaned out a player on the side-line, just before he got substituted. Yellow card, all day long, but not here. Again, its the referee thinking they are letting the game continue, but they're not. He let Argentina slow down every free-kick.

Croatia were no saints by the way. At least twice Perisic held the ball for throw-ins and eventually gave it to the thrower. All easy when the ref is spineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

They apparently went 3-0 up just after this key incident. I don't think Messi's pressing game would have suffered too much from the risk of a second yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He didn't do any running because he was afraid of his life to be anywhere other than around the penalty spot for fear it would be someone else to get the glory.

It was so obvious against Morocco. He was there in the middle for everything and never once made a diversional run to create space or drop back to help build play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the way it looked to me he played much wider than usual when he came on vs Morocco and moved more central when Goncalo went off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

If the ball went out of play or over I don't think the ref would have gave a pen bit ot was a stonewaller. Can't believe any of the arguments against it.

Reminded me of Luis Garcia ghost goal, if goal wasn't given a pen and red would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Want to see France make the final. I think they will but expect it to be tight. I'll say a France win by a goal.

Being forced to leave out Upamecano is a big blessing in disguise for the French, Konate a much more solid looking player.

My fantasy team is all french leaning - but bloody hell it'd be amazing to see Morocco make the final! Brilliant to see Saiss and Aguerd looking fit enough to start too.

<edit> looks like Aguerd was pulled out at the last second. Big loss. Lot of pressure on the new fella Dari.

I'm sure on the business side, the Qatari's will be delighted to have 3 of the lads they own as the marquee players for the respective teams left standing - with Messi, Mbappe, and Hakimi, regardless who of the latter two make the final they'll be able to point towards a successful club project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This will test the Moroccan defence for sure. Looking forwards to it clash of styles. And both sides will be able to insult each other fluently.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I wish I could but I can't switch my brain from supporting France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was just coming on to post that, Upamecano is a mistake waiting to happen these days and was bar far their worst performer against England...Konate and Varane is a serious partnership!

THEO!

Lovely by Griezmann in the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Well that didn’t take long

Could be a long night for Morocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The stupid whistling might stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That didn't take long. 1-0 France. We'll see what Morocco are made of.

Sounds like we need another goal or two for France to stop the awful irritating whistling.

France are fragile in the back. A team pushing on could get to them as long as they are lucky enough not to get caught on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Delighted Argentina got through and Messi stepped up to the mark again. It would be fitting to see him win a world cup alongside Maradona. His career and insane natural ability deserve it. There are certain things only him and Maradona had the ability to do. It's nearly uncanny how similar they are technically

I said before the game it would be great to see Argentina really click for the first time in years, proper fluid attacking football that they're known for. Hopefully that penalty was the spark for the shackles to come off, and they bring it to the final. When the Argies get it right, no one can compete technically, would be great to see them lay siege to French defence, if France get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Unfamiliar territory for Morocco. Will be interesting to see is their attack as blunt as Croatia's.

Griezman the main man again and brilliant finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You do realise he did not get the Glory he only scored 1 of the 3 goals was a provider for others. Also Messi is a forward he is told to stay up there and there has been games in this world cup where you see him get a ball at half way not as much as Mbappe but does do it.

• Advertisement

Don't know why George keeps saying 'Ounachee' for Ounahi.

Giroud so close. Post denies him. Saiss doesn't look fit.

They're looking more solid tonight in terms of formation/selection... only Hernandez of the back 4 is a bit of a defensive liability now, but it looks like they're really playing a 3, with Hernandez pushed up, with Konate, Varane, and Kounde all holding back together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Were the Moroccan fans doing all that whistling in other games?? I don't remember noticing it. It's nearly making this match unwatchable 😖

Gutting for Morocco - from looking like they'd have both Aguerd and Saiss at the back, to now not having either of them.

• Advertisement

Never stopped those things in South Africa. Morocco just happy been there so will continue to party

So f...ing irritating. I don't recall it happening in their other games.

Maybe its the stadium or there is more at this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Hernandez is an absolute liability defensively. Massive weak spot in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

morocco playing well since the goal, getting into good poistions

Should be 2-0. Giroud will be disappointed with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The guy who's scored the only goal of the match so far?

Mbappe should have scored there and also Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This is a much better game than it would've been at 0-0, thank god for the early goal

France should be at least 2-0 ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement