Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

KOLO MUANI!

Delighted for him. Lovely play by Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

He has been fantastic today and in the England game. For all the talk about Mbappe, he is not a patch on the work rate of Griezmann. Willing to defend and attack.

If France win this, I can’t see them stopping Argentina.

Spoke too soon, Mbappe made that goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poxy goal. but they all count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Another flukey deflection

Still, get in the box, and stuff can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair play, lovely for the fella. Semi final goal with his first touch on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The dream ends.

That’s probably that then, sad to see Morocco go, they have been outstanding the whole tournament.

I have enjoyed the tournament but thinking of the final there is no real outstanding team, Argentina have been so so but have Messi and France just always seem to do enough.

Messi against Mbappe should be a good story though, if France turn up and are at it i can’t see them losing.

It's exactly what Spain don't do... you don't need to just dance around endlessly waiting for the perfect move - if you cause a bit of uncertainty and chaos in the box you've got a decent shout at getting something out of it every once in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

They will bring Upamecano into the team for Konate for the final, bizarre as Konate is miles better....Upamecano was really poor v England.

Bias as a Pool fan though I am thrilled we signed Konate rather than Upamecano from Leipzig.

like to have seen a replay of that, looked like the ball might have just stayed in for Hakimi.

konate and Varane have looked a good partnership.

Getting Rabiot back is big for them, he’s been quietly very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Amrabat and Griezmann have both had great tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

France have probably used up all their luck these last two games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a run ! Morocco deserve a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If France was an animal , it would be a cat. Had at least 9 lives the last two games.

In fairness sometimes it’s better to be lucky then better then opponents.

Deserved win for France. Morocco gave it a good go but lacked the cutting edge required. Griezmann MOTM for me.

All set up for a wonderful final. We either see Messi follow in the footsteps of Maradona by leading Argentina to glory, or we see Mbappe follow in the footsteps of Pele in '62 by retaining the World Cup. Two PSG teammates, both of them neck and neck for the Golden Boot. It's going to be special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-final Results

Argentina 3 V 0 Croatia

France 2 V 0 Morocco

Third place play-off

Saturday 17th December

Croatia V Morocco - (15:00) - Live on BBC One

Final

Sunday 18th December

Argentina V France - (15:00) - Live on BBC One / ITV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’m failing to see what makes this French team a shoe in for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Fair play to Morocco they had a fun run to the semis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Slight chance RTE might be covering these games too.

France v Argentina

Mbappe v Messi

Given that Ronaldo wanted it to be all about him - as he always does - I hope Argentina win, Messi scores and reinforces his standing as the Greatest of All time.

For Morocco, I really hope they play a similar brand of football in a few days time and come away as 3rd best team in the World Cup.

France, have 'doing just enough' down to a tee,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hope Argentina win it, Messi deserves to bow out as a World Cup winner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

France have looked dodgier the last two games, more vulnerable but they do seem to find a way. I want Messi to win it but there will be a Saudi money flavoured bad taste to it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Qatar money pumped into PSG along with the money given to Mbappe & Messi amongst others has worked getting both of there marquee players from there sports washed club to the World Cup final.

France thoroughly deserved to win both the last two games. Ridiculous statement.

Messi is a Saudi spokesman, gets paid a fortune by them.

It is a bit of a shame that the best player of all time is perhaps also the most cynically barefacedly money hungry too. Driving Barca to the brink with some crazy financial demands through the years, going for PSG money, Qatari money, Saudi money, and literally every merchandising/branding opportunity he can possibly do, he'll do. As he's entitled to, of course.

Will be hoping Argentina win as well, but happy to see France in the Final as well. I think it’s set up to be a fascinating final. Neither have actually hit top gear as yet but they’re in the Final now.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest, Messi's legacy is on the line. If he loses, the Argentinian fans will forever say he failed to do what Diego did. Rightly or wrongly, that will always be held against him.

Meanwhile, if Mbappe fires France to victory on Sunday, he puts himself firmly in the GOAT discussion. That is an accomplishment unprecedented in modern times: two back-to-back World Cups. Platini, Zidane, Henry, none of the French greats managed that.

A career-defining match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It would a crazy decision if he does that. Upamecano has to many mistakes in him at the minute. With all the talk about Messi v Mbappe now defense is going to be cruical and a Varane/Konate partnership is much much stronger that Romero/Ottamendi and I think that's what will sway it towards France...

Never knew that. Not much of a spokesman given I had no clue about that LOL.

I suppose he epitomises the game of football and not just the modern game in most recent times either if he’s also a cynical money grabber.

It reminds me a lot of France 98 except the team with the wonder players that dominates all headlines is playing for the contenders not the champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Don't see why anyone "deserves it"

Probably the best player ever and has won loads but I can't see why he deserves it.

Yup, was found guilty and given a suspended sentence.

Yeah, he's in loads of ads for Saudi tourism and business, and is currently their spokesperson for their world cup bid - dunno if that'll remain the case though, as Argentina have entered the same bidding pool, so it'd be very tricky for him to be advocating against his own country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They got lucky in both games. England were the better team and France got the awful ref decisions. Tonight they relied on Moroccos poor finishing to help them through.

In hindsight it will be classed as great tournament management , but it’s as much riding your luck. I’m ok with you believing otherwise.

If Argentina fans think his legacy is on the line or it's a him or Maradonna thing they are idiots. He is a legendary player and not winning the World Cup won't be his fault. If anything the fact the have made two recent finals is a miracle of his making.

I always felt Ronaldo got too much stick in this sort of perfect golden boy vs selfish bad boy battle with Messi. Messi can be just as selfish and cynical but just doesn't do it in such a stroppy manner.

(That's no defense of Ronaldo. I like neither)

• Advertisement

England were definitively not the better team. This game tonight they won it without getting out of second gear. Believe what you like.

Would prefer to see Argentina win and I think they’re also a street wise team. Been an odd World Cup with the timing and the obvious corruption re the choice of venue but I think it’s a good Final pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

First post I made with the group games I said all games will be on RTE and I will post which UK broadcaster will have each game as it is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Griezmann has been my player of the tournament.

His new role suits him perfectly.

And what a stat rte told us about him tonight, that was his 73rd consecutive international. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Pele was injured early in '62 and didn't play for the rest of the tournament.

It'll be a singular achievement for Mbappe, no player has ever been the catalyst for back to back world cup wins.

Edit: You could argue Garrincha in '58 and '62 but the '58 team also had Pele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Some final now. France the more well drilled balanced team, Argentina carry the raw talent. As I said before, France on paper should win, but there's something in the air of how the Argentinian players are fighting for each other.

From a mindset this isn't how Argentina should be thinking, and hopefully they won't, go for it and let natural talent take care of itself. As drilled as we are on namechecking teams and equating them to good teams based on household names, Argentina have the better gifted players, not France.

We look at their players, your Aimars, Ortega's, Riquelmes, they always flatter to deceive, but there's something mercurial about them, get them on the right day they're unplayable. I'd love nothing more than to see Argentinas mercurial players click when it matters.

The world has a soft spot for them, the famous white and light blue, because of what they produce and play. Hopefully they do the business Sunday, when Argentina get in the grove they have no peers. The nation that produces the most gifted technical player's

I think France carry way more "raw talent"

The whole idea that Argentina have some sort of history for producing skillful teams is a myth peddled by people who know very little about football. Argentinian football has always been far more about a team of dirty bruisers with the odd "mercurial" star thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

To quote Napoleon, who was French  “I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.”

Agreed , I think the only Argentina player who gets in that France team is messi, you could make an argument for another couple but they’re debatable.

I have to say I think Argentina are a very average side, not in anyway exciting and without Messi would been out a long time ago. I feel like I’m watching a different game when people tell me they are a good side!

that said they certainly have a decent chance here, has felt a bit like name on the trophy for them but if both teams turn up and play to their best level, France win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Mbabbe isn't anywhere near being the GOAT currently.

Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona, Pele. Not fit to tie any of their laces imo.

No amount of goals in a one horse race (cough Lille) farmers league team will convince me otherwise!

Advertisement