Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think Mbappe is more stoppable than either Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo have ever been (apart from the most recent version of Ronaldo).

Messi is a freak who does things nobody else can. no point in discussing comparisons with him. the comparison with Cristiano will be more interesting.

Cristiano in his pomp has everything Mbappe has, but what made him utterly unstoppable and clutch, was how he on top of all the skill, speed and trickery he developed the ability to poach goals, and in particular, the ability to score from absolutely anywhere - in the air from a set piece or cross, a shot from 30 yards. He could be nullified, but at some point, he will manage to get a goal somewhere in some way. Mbappe doesn't have that absolute GOAT ability yet.

But as has been mentioned, he has the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The way teams have stoppednmbappe though have been through either double marking him or having a player shadow them constantly (walker, Matty cash) which has freed up a lot of room for griezeman to do his thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's a new virus that's been engineered in a Saudi lab to target French central defenders...

The news has elicited concern and compassion in the Argentinian camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ken Early talked about that virus the other day, was saying it's really bad out there at the moment, and has absolutely cut through the media folks there apparently. Lots of journos just skipping the pressers cause they don't want to catch it in those crowded rooms. That it's just quite a bad flu that really knocks you out, a lot of people needing hospital treatment etc. Anyway, his main point was that if Upamecano and Rabiot had it, that he could see a lot more having it there too, and how much it could impact the final. With Coman, Konate and Varane, it seems like it might have a big say in the outcome.

On the virus itself, I wonder if it's something we'll see become a bit of an issue internationally now. It's called a 'camel virus', and literally comes from camels. But with a reasonable number of people coming back from the region, we could well see it start to become a 'thing'. As if we didn't need another 'thing' after the last 3 bloody years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would like Messi to win it. Mbappe has his. And it would be nice for Messi to do in the twilight of his career. As for years it was said he couldn’t do it internationally.

But if France win it I won’t be getting the hump like a camel. Whoever wins it will be getting their just desserts, in the desert.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭FrankN1

I don't want Messi to win it. But in general I'd like Argentina to win it... Unfortunately it's not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anticipating something dour and attritional today. Doubt we'll be saying "That should have been the final" afterward.

Although maybe Croatia will be feeling the result doesn't really matter that much and thus will want to show their more constructive side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not really fair to judge today's game as a "what if" for a possible final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like the virus has left the French squad the full squad trained this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hope Croatia win if this is Modric's last game.

Do the "Aprés match" lads not do the third place play offs anymore? Are those days gone?

Have Apres Match been around at all this World Cup ?

Lovely header by Gvardiol.

Nice to see him get a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very well worked goal by Croatia. Perfectly placed header at the end by the Phantom of the Opera.

• Advertisement

Morocco equalize just a minute later. Free header.

Wow. Instant reply.

No, and I only realised it now when the thing is nearly over.

Apparently RTE got rid of Apres Match before the Euros last year - no explanation.

Pity, they would have a whole new crowd of presenters to imitate now.

This has been the most serious 'third place play off' I can remember. Other ones seemed reluctant or treated as a bit of craic.

It would be a good question for the table quiz's to name third place play off winners and losers in a WC. I would struggle with it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If Italia 90 is anything to go by, if Ireland won a 3rd place play-off, we'd dine off it for fifty years.

• Advertisement

Could have and should have been 2-1 Morocco.

The Moroccan players complain about every decision that goes against them. It's frustrating.

Alan Scaldy has talked some rubbish in this first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Some finish.

That's a fantastic finish by Orsic. 2-1 Croatia. Beautiful curled effort in off the right upright.

What a hit by Orsic.

I think Bono got the faintest of touches on it, but he couldn't do any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Don’t think Croatia even brought on Orsic in the nil all group game vs Morocco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Maybe this needs its own thread but what was your analysis highlight of the World Cup? I’ve listened to and watch hours of analysis. It was all hot air.

I think it was time to go to be honest. They seem very tied to the Bill era in my mind.

• Advertisement

The ref was probably getting word in his ear there that he missed the Croatian corner.

Kiss of death from Alan Cawley. Ounahi will be playing in the League of Ireland in 12 months time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Game is very enjoyable. Another Moroccan goal would be nice,.

The commentators on RTE talking about the merits of the 3rd place play-off. Saying that Louis Van Gaal, the current Dutch manager isn't a fan of it.

Then went on talking about how Croatia have done well in the last 2 World Cups. And that they finished 3rd back in 1998 as well. Who did they beat then and who was the manager?

That was a foul on the Moroccan but I think it was outside the box. Ref didn't give it, so on we go.

Croatia should have had a penalty before that.

That looked a pen for the foul on Gvardiol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Shocking by VAR. Joke

You're not getting a penalty for that Morocco.

Without internet searching all I can think of is Suker and the cool jersey's the Croat's had. I would guess Turkey but I might be missing up my Suker's.

Quick internet search - I was a mile off it was the Dutch the Croats beat. Turkey was in 2002 play off.

Croatia was managed by Miroslav Blažević he managed all over the world, still alive at 87 years old as well.

• Advertisement

Aww, that should have been 2-2. Great chance, can't keep the header down. That's it.

Delighted for Croatia, especially with the unseemly antics from Morocco. Sore losers.

List of all the third place play off results in WC history.

I think I would struggle to get many of them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As a few others have said, Morocco complain about everything and are sore losers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Female lineswoman not allowed shake hands with the muslim guy at the trophy ceremony, jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Haaland maybe the best finisher there is around at the moment. But needs better players to provide for him. Great for City. Not as influential for Norway at the moment hence they're not qualifying for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Third place play-off Result

Croatia 2 V 1 Morocco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

The winner of tomorrow’s game will be only the fourth country to win 3 tournaments, Germany and Italy have won four and Brazil five.

The rule used to be that after 3 wins you kept the trophy outright but this was changed after Brazil won the Jules Rimet trophy in 1970 and a new trophy was introduced. The winners now keep a gold plated bronze replica.

The current trophy will be changed in 2042 as the plaque at the bottom is designed for 17 winners from 1974 until 2038.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They could just do a Stanley Cup and add a new band at the bottom when name plaque is full.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He has 21 goals in 23 games for them. He missed their last 4 qualifiers in which they drew 2 and lost 1 (against the dutch who scored both goals in the last few mins)

Fullt believe if he was fit, they either have topped the group of been in the play offs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

So with Perisic winning Bronze today and Lloris and Romero playing tomorrow Spurs will have a Gold,Silver and Bronze winner in their squad. Has this happened before?

• Advertisement
Advertisement