Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RICHARLISON!

Goal of the tournament contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

🤣🤣🤣

I can't argue against that after his second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great goal in fairness. Poor auld Serbia, would've liked to see them hold out.

Still, least it's not himself getting the headlines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Absolute beaut. One of the best goals of the tournament right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to give that to him, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well em… the no Brazilian flair these days and Richarlison shouldn’t be starting has been ended in one go.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Their best player by a distance this year. That's 9 goals in 7 games for Brazil for him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Crazy goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This post has aged wel

Richarlison is definitively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Who said Richarlison is a **** player ? 😅.

The Brazil slander on this thread was unfair. This is a serious side. Excellent record under this coach Tite's tenure and stacked with quality. I wouldn't write them off going on a deep run. Serbia are a solid European outfit and they haven't had a shot on target.

Casemiro unlucky. Great effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brazil finally starting to look like Brazil now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That was a fine goal.

As for Brazil and flair all of their best sides were probably a mix of both flair and hard workers. 1994 was known as being more on the hard side for a Brazilian cup winning side.

Danilo looks like he's pulled something, can barely move now... could be a huge loss for them, given it's the seven thousand year old Dani Alves they have in reserve there..

That was weird... ref blowing up before the end of added time...

Brazil and Spain have been the best two teams I've seen from the first round of games. Casemiro was immense and the Brazil CBs were unflappable. Brazil look like they have the strongest spine of any side in the competition. Incredible options off the bench if required as well. I can see them reaching the final.

Was it not someone in the crowd blowing that whistle?

That happened first, but then the ref himself blew it up on 96 minutes, with 7 minutes having been given as added time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd add England to that list. I know it was only Iran, but they were very good.

I remember now, that was the talking point when the Brazil squad was named. Because Tite wanted to find a way to get Martinelli in.

I would like to see none of the big guns win it. It would be nice to get a first time winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That was a great performance from Brazil, solid at the back and very dangerous going forward. So many options in those attacking positions. Would love to see them win it outright. They're the best team I've seen so far but didn't see the Spain game.

I'll hold my hands up, that was a great 2nd half from Brazil.

But most of my comments were based up to half time, and to be fair they were pants to then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Slow start but Serbia did a great job frustrating Brazil in that first half - really difficult to keep that up for 90 minutes though.

The second half was relentless stuff, especially after the goal went in. This is the most complete Brazil team in years, who thankfully aren’t over reliant on Neymar this time. Would love to see them go all the way.

• Advertisement

Offensively they were for sure one of the best. I'd still be concerned about their defence.

My team for the first round of games (3-5-2):

G) Courtois (Belgium),

CB) Altambakti (KSA), Kim Min-jae (Korea Rep.), Marquinhos (Brazil),

DM) Casemiro (Brazil)

RM) Saka (England)

CM) Gavi (Spain), Rabiot (France)

LM) Mbappe (France)

ST) Giroud (France), Richarlison (Brazil).

Honourable mentions: Ochoa (Mexico), Aguerd (Morocco), Thiago Silva (Brazil), Itakura (Japan), Kanno (KSA), Torres (Spain), Morata (Spain), Taremi (Iran), Alshehri (KSA), Aldawsari (KSA).

I’d say Spain, England, and France as the most impressive, with Brazil just behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah, that's why Chelsea and Arsenal were in for him before...Barcelona signed him for 55m. Must be rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's only been one round, nothing is won in the first round, but all CAN be lost.

That thought Spain were excellent (notwithstanding the quality of the opposition).

What I pressed me most was that (Morata aside) every change they made made them stronger, they certainly didn't disrupt or weaken them.

France were good (again, opposition were poor), and never really broke a sweat.

It'll be interesting to see if Saudi and Japan in particular can back up good results in Round 1.

BTW that Portugal penalty decision was scandalous. The African and Asian teams will always claim they don't get a fair shake in these games, decisions like this certainly back this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm the same, would like to see either a new winner or even someone who hasn't won it in a while (Argentina, Uruguay) with the obvious exception of England! It would be a bit boring to see a 'usual suspect' like Brazil, France, Germany or Spain win it (I include the latter even though they've only ever won it once, they have had their fair share of success in the recent past).

Would I be right in saying that if Brazil and Spain top their groups, they won't be able to meet in a final?

• Advertisement

Brazil played the best team of those 4, the other 3 played teams heavy favorites for the bottom of the groups.

Wouldn't be overly surprised if Serbia manger to squeeze out of the group still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Spain, Brazil, France and England looking good at this stage - however I don’t fancy England at all when it comes to games against the bigger teams. Southgate is by far the worst manager out of those 4 teams and presumably his lack of tactical depth will see him go overly cautious once again.

Ya even Canada yesterday could easily have had 2 and possibly 3 more penalties yesterday.

For one the ref hadn't a clue just stared over at the linesman looking for help got nothing and var didn't even get him to take a look

Going of memory here but I think Spain Brazil winning groups would be quarter's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Easier games for sure, but the assurance of Spain and France especially was just mind blowing... both teams looked like they had many more gears to crank into if required. Looked like they knew exactly what they wanted to do, and how they wanted to play, with both looking so effective. It won't be as easy against better teams, but I'd expect both to step up a level with the same style.

England I would say the same about, except I have no faith in Southgate holding firm on what's working... could easily see him baulking, and changing to a more defensive formation and losing that attacking quality. But if he can find a bit of bravery, they'll be very dangerous as well.

On the other side, I'd worry about Brazil with that formation against a better team. Looks like they'd need to change it a bit to be stronger in midfield, as a higher calibre of midfield would dominate. So they still have that one question mark for me.

France and England were not far off. Iran got nowhere near England till the game was over. France have questions at the back alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone else think the HD picture quality for the World Cup is poor ?

I cant seem to get a good picture, it just isnt sharp, and I have a good set and picture quality is normally excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So Germany just being super-smart and making sure they don't win the group...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Is anyone playing the Predictor game on Fifa website?

On the opening day I got 3 correct scores and 4 correct outcomes, Should I have been awarded 4 extra points? or am I reading their rules wrong?

Sorry if this is not the correct thread to point in, it can move moved if needed.

• Advertisement

Only one of today’s games have the potential of being any interest for the neutrals.

Senegal should beat Qatar handy enough.Netherlands v Ecuador similar . Maybe slightly more difficult - but I can’t see it being much of a match.

The last one Wales v Iran should be a fiery one, though.

I am not playing it, but the way I read it you have to get every ‘outcome’ spot on. Exact result home goals/away goals the whole lot.

I'm hoping against hope that England vs USA will be close.

If you look further up the points rules, they say outcomes is the result - not correct score.

But i'm also thinking when they say "Match Day" do they mean all the 1st games - so 12 games in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Carlos Queiroz looks like a fella named Paulie who sits outside one of those Mafia-ran gentlemen's clubs you see in every gangster film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Is there anywhere to listen to commentary of live matches online ?

Just struck me watching these games how out of the ordinary international kits now look without advertising.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before FIFA allow the kits to be sponsored. Its not like the associations would turn down the opportunity to bring in cash.

• Advertisement

Advertisement