Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone been to Athens?

• 22-11-2022 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I’m looking at weekend break options in Europe for early January, and I’m thinking this would be a great time to visit such a historical city like Athens as it’s off peak and probably best time to see the sights there without the hordes of tourists.

Obviously I’m not expecting or looking for warm weather, but it still seems to be on average a reasonable 13/14 degrees in January which seems good for exploring.

I guess I’m just looking for some recommendations on the best area to stay in? Also is it a pretty safe city that you can walk around the city centre in after dark? I’ve heard some people say it’s a very dirty city while others absolutely love it so I’m not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I was there for a week in 2016. The historical sites such as the Acropolis, Parthenon, Olympic stadium etc were all very impressive. It is fascinating to see these ancient sites lie alongside a fully functioning, busy city - not too dissimilar to Rome in that sense I guess. But I would not be recommending it for much else unfortunately, it was a smelly and dirty place with a bit of a menacing atmosphere at night time (and this was in July) so not sure how much I would fancy walking around there in January when it will be dark much earlier and presumably much quieter. I found that food very bland in most places too but maybe I was unlucky.

It is probably worth stopping for a night or two if you are travelling to a Greek Island or something, but I don't think it would be worth it as a lone destination.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I would agree with the above. Outside the historical sites I didn't fancy it much at all. It was a dirty sprawling mess. I'd give it a day or two as a stop over on the way to to somewhere nicer in Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes smelly dirty and menacing. Good kebabs though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great place for a long weekend break or more...

Been there a couple of times and would go back again, first time I stayed out in the Vouliagmeni area beside the beaches, lovely area and quite upmarket, it's about 20 mins cab ride from the Airport..

Other time stayed in the city at a nice hotel with a rooftop pool/bar, about a 5 mins cab ride from the main square. Found a lovely Irish bar too... walking around all the little side streets with countless little restaurants and bars, the city that's open 24 hours at the weekends...plenty of lively bars.

Of course it has it's issues and is quite run down in places around the centre, but also gives it a character unlike any other European city... If you're travelling alone or as a couple i'd get a taxi back to your hotel at night... just as you would in an Irish city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Thanks for the advice folks. Sounds like it’s a bit similar to Lisbon in that there are parts of the city centre that are very grubby and run down. As a solo traveller, a big factor for me is feeling safe to walk around at night so I might put it on the back-burner for now and go with plan b instead which is Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Try Valencia. Very underrated. A better weekend city than Barcelona in my view.

Athens a definite no no, unless you really have to see the historical stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Seville is the answer - it would be lovely 16 degree average. Lots to see and reasonably priced food and drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Stayed just down from the back entrance to the Parthenon in an air BnB had a great time went one way for tourist trap food and beer with great views of the Parthenon. Down the road full of Greeks and cheap beer and food. Had a great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

I was in Athens about 2 months ago for 3 nights. Wonderful for the history and sites and museums. There is a fast and reliable underground train system that connects all the sites and areas of the city. I felt much much safer in Athens than Dublin.

From the port the nearest island is Aegina. If you want a day away from the city its wonderful. Quiet with lovely small beaches.

Hopefully I'll visit again next year.

Just wanted to update!

So plan B turned out to be Barcelona in the end and what a great choice it was. Return flights with Vueling for under €100 and it’s 17 degrees with plenty of sunshine which isn’t bad for mid January. Definitely a great time to visit the city off peak as while it’s busy, it isn’t oversaturated with tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good call, Barcelona is a great place to spend a couple of days.

Maybe fit in a weekend in Athens with a trip to the islands some time.

You won't be disappointed with either.

Oh for sure, I haven’t given up on Athens yet but with the helpful advice in this thread I have decided to put it on hold until I have a travel buddy

Advertisement