Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cottage with septic tank

Options
  • 22-11-2022 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am interested in buying an old concrete cottage that hasn't been lived in for 5years after the previous owner passed away. The cottage has a small extension to the back, less than the 40sq meters allowed without planning. New roof, windows bathroom, kitchen etc.. although it could do with a new lick of paint and modernising the kitchen, bathrooms as they are outdated. Late 90s to early 2000s decor.

Electric has been disconnected although all sockets, light pendants and wiring is upto date. I think the electric was turned off 2 years ago but not 100% sure.

I am very interested in purchasing this cottage although one thing that concerns me is the septic tank and perculation area. It's concrete made which to me is not very old however it is tucked away in the corner of the site very close to the boundary. It's 2m away from one side and 1.8m away from the other side. I can not see no perculation area with pipes coming up from the ground in the other field which is well kept and isn't part of the sale with the cottage. This is the only place i can see for a gravity fed perculation area.

My question is, because this is a 1950s concrete cottage with septic tank, back then was there supposed to a perculation area with the tank or is the laws surrounding this not as strict because of its age.

Advertisement