Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragwort

Options
  • 22-11-2022 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what the story with spraying ragworth.

Have a good bit to do for a farmer next year and just wondering what spray people used, the timing of it and such

Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Spray before they get to strong and stemmy early April I think works best. 24 D or lupo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You can winter spray ragwort, 2-4D as Tony said, there won't be a sign of this year's new rosettes next Spring after winter spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Yes, that's it Mortox 50, 2,4D amine, I sprayed on a sunny day in November, it took ages before it showed signs that it was working, about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Are ragworth still above the ground at this time of the year?

I have an infested field that they seem to die off end of summer and rot away till next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We spray in April or May, at rosette stage. With d50. Make sure no frost forecast as it hampers the kill and you'll have to do them again. Take at least 3 weeks to die off. Can't be grazed by cattle during this time as they are palatable when dying

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I saw a field yesterday- not mine- and the ragwort are flowering in it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The young green plant takes a keen eye to spot if knapsack spraying. Would give me great pleasure though if one had the time with short days to hit them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

I think the version of ragworth we have it not the “bad one”. The huge flowers. Ours are a lot smaller but still have that purple stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I always thought the window for spraying was short and only in the spring when they are at the rosette stage.. If i remember correctly the spray is also very sensitive to frost...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

About 15 years ago a friend of Dads bought a field that was rotten with them. He got Mortox and I sprayed the field one St Patrick's weekend. I pass it regular & I get great pride out off it seeing that there isn't any in it any more because I hate the sight of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The only way to deal with ragweed is pulling it.....

Close thread.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'd agree but I don't think he's going to go across 120 acres

I suppose them sprays will kill the clover

More than likely the clover has been grazed off at this time of year, so less likely to have leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@StevenToast I fully agree with you, but if they are heavy then spraying will lighten the load for pulling, I have been pulling Ragworth for years, a few every day as I was out walking through the cattle counting them, thankfully of the last few yard I have had barely any to pull.. Now a neighbor of mine has a good crop so there does be a few blow in from him every year that I do need to keep check on, but in august it does look odd seeing his filed covered in them and just the other side of the wire in mine not as much as 1. I seen him last August flying around the field topping them and the seeds blowing everywhere, plus he had cattle on the field, I defiantly wouldn't like to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Advertisement