Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur Sat 24th June 2023 Malahide Castle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not at all. But your argument boils down to "it's insulting to fans that you can pay more to be in the pit" and I don't see why. Fans love being able to get into the pit but some don't have the luxury to queue all day so paying a small but extra to secure it, is great.

If the price of the ticket to not be in the tiny pit is not worth it, then people shouldn't go. The fact that there was a pit/golden circle wasn't hidden so if anyone turned up thinking otherwise, it was them who missed it.

Of course we can agree to disagree but my "nonsense" remark was only to the notion that it's "two fingers to the fans" to have it (not your entire opinion on the matter). It is absolutely not.

I'm a huge fan and I loved the ability to get into the pit and up close as I usually can't and it only cost a few quid more. And I'd happily pay €10 extra again for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I'm afraid you've got me utterly wrong. Read back my comments. Why are you using quotation marks when it's not what I said? :)

I didn't say "it's insulting to fans that you can pay more to be in the pit" which for some reason you said I did.

I did not have a "notion" that it's "two fingers to the fans" to have it - as you have quoted again, and which is nothing like I said.

I also haven't argued against the notion of a pit. You can read that too. I think it's good for accessibility and so on.

My point was that I think it's disrespectful for people to pay what it is a high price for GA and then be relegated so far back. Irrelevant whether it's the done thing. That's all. That's my opinion, which is shared by many who were at the show. And that's just a debate nobody is gonna win here. But at least quote me correctly and read what I say.

I'm getting a little bit conscious that this is turning into a rant/debate thread, which is shite, so I'll just finish off by repeating what I said that in spite of the above, the band were brilliant and the show was probably one of the best gigs I've been at.

Great memories, lovely crowd, awesome setlist, epic band.

That's me ✌️❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

One other thing that really worked out well was the weather on Saturday which really added to the atmosphere.

I was looking out the window on the Sunday when Sam Fender was on and it was blistering sunshine, then thunder and lightning, then rain and back to sun.

We were blessed on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I have been to numerous gigs over the years in marlay, in malahide, kilmainham, electric picnic etc and I have never seen a golden circle so big and wide (apart from at slane but that being such a big gig I don't mind). I always aim to be half way between the stage and the sound tower at outdoor gigs, and I have never failed in that endeavour until Saturday at blur! I was surprised to see a golden circle so big, and I agree with other posters in that it was just too big. 

But I also agree with everyone that the gig was really savage - the crowd, the set list, the band themselves - all top notch. It was my first time seeing blur and they didn't disappoint at all 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I saw the cure in Hyde park. The fan zone was the size of malahide.

I didn’t think it was large on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

For reference the pits at EP are far bigger than the one at blur.

It's all relative to the size of the gig I suppose. Hyde park gig capacity is massive and about the same as slane. What do the malahide gigs hold?

That picture doesn't show the extent or circumference of the pit/golden circle though?

I seen the strokes at electric picnic (pre covid) and happily made my way through the crowd to the front, very near the stage. There wasnt a barrier to be seen anywhere!

Maybe things have changed since then

the pits at EP hold approx over ten thousand and go over the length of a football pitch and about half the width

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

That photo does not show the pit at EP as there are not any pits at EP. I was at the front of this gig, so I am speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fanirish is pitiful when it comes to pit knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

There is two massive pits at EP, left and right with a gap between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Hank the DJ

They're not pits, it's for a walkway and they only arrived at last years EP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I like the rear admission idea, but it should be reserved for people who spend the whole gig going to and from the bars and talking for the whole thing. The amount of them at Blur was astonishing, you'd hope they didn't pay to be there. There were some groups facing away from the stage yapping away for the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

There's loads of people who just go for a day out. Offering them a cheaper section at the back actually makes sense.

There is a railings covering three sides of each pit with entrance to either only from the far left and right AKA pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

This conversation is the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I go to a lot of gigs - gold circle is very old news guys and it was only 10 euro extra for the Blur gig. The Gold circle area was small compared to plenty of other places Ive been. Sometimes you can go early and get a wristband, sometimes you pay extra and a lot of the time is more than a tenner. I got gold circle and the space was amazing, us small people were able to actually see the stage and the gig. Getting to the toilets was crap though.

I also got gold circle last year for Marlay Pk gigs and yes they absolutely enforced it, it was wristbanded. Similar set up and more space than gen area. I didnt go to Slane this year but Im pretty sure Mr Styles had gold circle, platinum circle, pink circle etc etc. A friend of mine went to Beyonce abroad this year and there were about 5 different types of tickets...I wont tell you what the closest to the stage cost.

Really enjoyed the gig. Took 3 hours to get home though to the other side of the city vs 90 mins from Depeche mode the previous week which wasnt great craic. And nearly two hours in due to train faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

Prince, 12 years ago, Malahide. Nearly missed the few euro extra option for the pit when buying the tickets. Incredible experience, especially as I'm not the tallest and could see everything really easily, as well as having perfect sound. I was shocked though at how much room we had (the pit was half empty) compared to the general standing area crammed in behind us beyond the pit barrier. If I had been in the general area I would've hated seeing me with so much room in the pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah Gold Circle is a cracking idea IMO. For the superfans who buy tickets as soon as they go on stage, they get the best spots for €10 extra. For the not-as-diehard who decide later, they get the next section. It's like a premium section but instead of going to the people who have infinitely more money it goes to the proper fans for a little more than a festival pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I was at sting last night, in the gold circle, definitely worth the extra 10er or so, a lot more relaxed and more roomy then I expected, could have been the age of the crowd ( I'm an oldy as well) definitely a lot bigger than expected, malahide a pain in the hole, to get out of (had to drive)

Would probably not go again unless its someone I haven't seen, and most of my heroes are gone 😒, But 100% would go gold circle if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

any high angle, aerial photos of this, couldn't find any

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

anyone going to the gig next tuesday in london?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Ballad of Darren out now 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Really enjoying the new album. As comebacks go this one has been nothing short of spectacular.

They can do no wrong 😀 ❤️

I was at the Wembley show on the Sunday night.

It was by far the greatest gig I've ever been to. Amazing setlist, a really charged atmosphere and hugely emotional. The crowd were so into it. It was absolutely incredible. Goosebumps just thinking about it. Damon broke down and sobbed after playing The Westway and I think the whole place practically did the same - except me of course 🤥 🤥 🤥 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

What was the gig experience there like? As in easiness to get a pint or go to the toilet? Food and drink prices and travelling to and from Wembley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It’s funny how in the mid-90s Blur were seen as a lightweight band for teenage girls, whereas now they’re widely recognised as the best British band of the last 30 years.

The new album is great as well

Advertisement