Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2023 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭supernova5

A Cork venue has hosted it at least 3 times [possibly more] 1960, 1971, 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes i saw that this morning on the Examiner website. Reading the few posts from lads from both counties on here most seem unhappy with the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Far be it for me to be defending KK lads, but who exactly is getting carried away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Charlie69

A lot of posters on here never let the truth get in the way of their version of events.

I like when it starts getting silly around here, it means that the Championship is just around the corner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

Why Cork? It makes no sense for any of the fans.

A double header in Thurles with the Offaly/Kildare game as a curtain raiser would be the obvious choice to make for all 4 counties given the motorway access for Kildare and Limerick fans.

Had that been the case you'd have likely gotten a few more people out of Kildare and Offaly as well to go, at least 20k in total, probably more given it would be a Saturday evening of a long weekend.

They'll be lucky to get 12k at this if it's in Cork.

Someone has to pay for the much needed stadium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can check the seat map on Ticketmaster. Hard to get an exact number though.

Double header would have been nice but I'll take Sunday over Saturday night any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭lim4ev

preferring sat or a Sunday is a personal choice for personal reasons no issues there. but the venue is up for argument and for me my 1st choice would have been to toss for it . 2nd thurles with the Kildare offaly match. Surely a no brainer? if the toss option was taken up I'd guess 25k in limerick maybe more as its the 1st maybe 2nd meaningful home game since last July.

I dunno what nowlan pk holds but Surely 20 k there too??

Cork? lucky to get 15k I hope I'm wrong

• Advertisement

There is a good batch of the 21k seats sold so I'de say it's already around or past 15k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Partly the problem is that Kilkenny play Wexford at under 20 on Easter Saturday in Wexford.

yea we told here last week there was 20k tickets sold was it last thur or Friday for the tipp match yet there was only was it 11k at it sat night?

Yea but there was no seat numbers given for that match. You can literally look up exactly every seat that has been sold for this game.

fair enough. i hope there's a big crowd going though I don't agree with it going to cork no need for it bto be on down there

A chance for Kilkenny to go out on their own as the most successful league winners (tied with Tipp on 19) or Limerick to join Cork on 14 titles.

Would be nice to see a big crowd of 25,000. Can't even remember the last time i was in Cork. As a neutral i'll definately be watching this one from the comfort of home.

• Advertisement

25000 would mean opening a terrace. I would love it but I doubt it will get that far.

They have put on a special train from Limerick today which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the Kildare game on tv tomorrow?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭C4000

Too wet to do the garden today so decided to head over to Abbotstown for the 3B final. Highly entertaining game with Cavan hanging on by a point to beat Leitrim, who had dragged themselves back into the game late on.

Could have been a controversial ending.....the ref was injured in the second half, and I strongly suspect the linesman that replaced him had the time wrong....played 9 minutes injury time during which Leitrim missed 4 consecutive chances to level it up...

Canice Maher and Nicky Kenny were the heroes for Cavan with Colum Sheanon very effective as a sweeper. Joe Murray almost did enough to lead Leitrim to extra time.

Great occassion and great facility in Abbotstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wasn't it Cavan who couldn't field a team for years a while back ??

Fair play to them winning silverware

• Advertisement

Abbotstown is great. And there is more to come out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

3pm throw-in for Offaly v laois in the Joe McDonagh Cup next Saturday in Tullamore. Six day turnaround.

Leinster SFC next Sunday - Longford v Offaly at Pearse Park at 3pm and Laois v Wexford in Portlaoise at 3.30pm.

I've heard Offaly will have to play seven weekends in a row to play off the Joe Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Interesting stats, thanks. Didn't realise Limerick had so many leagues, and Cork less than I thought.

Limerick comeback v Tipp 1992 in the rain was epic. Mid 80s Limerick were winning leagues too iirc.

Another really entertaining league final today in Portlaoise with Offaly getting the better of Kildare. Very good crowd and atmosphere at the match, and the ref - Thomas Walsh- contributed hugely. Having a ref whose instinct is to err on the side of not blowing frees makes an awful difference. Loads of extended passages of play that you could watch without waiting for the inevitable whistle that you get with some refs.

Kildare were quick out of the gates and a beautiful goal from Gerry Keegan had them in a healthy lead early on. They just couldn't sustain their running attacking game in the second half and Offaly got on top eventually.

It still came down to a last second Kildare free to draw the match, but the shot was saved. Always wonder about the tactic of bringing a keeper up to hit these shots rather than giving it to the best forward....

Thought Declan Flaherty and full back Simon Leacy were excellent for Kildare. Adrian Cleary hurled a lot of ball for Offaly at sweeper, Cillian Kiely, Eoghan Cahill and David Nally were all impressive up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well if we're talking about best forwards remember Kildare had Brian Byrne back corner back!! No idea what Herity was thinking! Blew the game for Kildare.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Interesting to see if Will O Donoghue will be much of a loss for Limerick today. He is their midfield enforcer and you rarely see him and O Donovan come out second best. Looking forward to a good game. Fancy Limerick like most do but expect a good showing from Kilkenny to run Limerick close enough.

Looks like Limerick are without Kyle Hayes and Declan Hannon from team named. Slow start from them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭kksaints

Surely that's an elbow to the head by O'Neill on Deegan there?

I thought Peter Casey was fouled twice just now no free awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Casey getting his head took off every time he comes into possesion!

Mullen couple nice scores for Kilkenny.

1-1 for Barry Nash. Not bad for a defender.

Kilkenny turning over Limerick on two occassions and getting two scores from.Deegan and Cody. Uncharacteristic from Limerick but cats tackling well.

O Neill and Coughlan have added some strength to this team. A joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I have never seen a team that are able to find each other at ease. Because of this they are able to take shots without little pressure. They are too good. Going to win this game at a canter

Limerick are really slick, some really excellent play at times. It's hard to see us been able to over come the 6 points gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick are so good at getting a 4/5 point gap and if needed will keep ticking away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Some amount of pulling,dragging and barging going on. And don't get me started on the throwing of the ball. Not sure what direction hurling is going

Gillane giving P Walsh a torrid day.

• Advertisement

Beautiful score from Flanagan. Set up nicely by Lynch. A trademark Limerick score.

Wow early contender for goal of the year. Lynch great catch, finds Flanagan who tees up a volley from Gillane. Samba hurling. Great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That should end the debate that KK are a clear second in the pecking order.

Some mauling today for the cats. It's like lions v kittens out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Poor 2nd half here. Limerick look to be in second gear, wasting a lot of chances. KK have been awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Challenge match feel this second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Kilkenny persisting with the same tactic (that's failed them for years) of landing in high ball into a fairly weak full forward line.

Limerick have obliterated them without ever moving into 2nd gear.

Last 10 minutes have been dreadful from both sides. Some amount of wides. We were terrible in the 2nd half.

• Men against boys

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Limerick are a long way ahead of the rest of the country..kilkenny were very disappointing though

Congratulations to Limerick. Winning their 14th National League. Different class today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement