Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro - Consumer Law coverage

• 23-11-2022 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hey all,

For Christmas, I want to get a Macbook Pro 14" on the apple website it costs €2250 but on amazon, the exact same laptop is 2000. So I thought I'd go with that and some. From what I can see on Amazon the seller is still Apple, or at least I can't see any 3rd party reseller names on the page.

Posted the one I'm looking at in case I'm wrong.

Anyways to the point, my friend told me (she used to work with apple retailers for a good few years) If I buy from apple directly I am covered by Irish consumer law for 6 years. Apple being saucy that's definitely worth getting even if 250 more for technically nothing. Then I looked at the apple website and read the consumer law part, and they say that it applies to 3rd party resellers also but it's up to them to sort it out.

Here is the part and this is the URL <--

So if I was to by this product from Amazon UK and save the money am I still covered by this? I would just need to go through amazon instead.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

as Amazon uk are based in the UK you will not be covered by Irish or European consumer law, you’ll have to find out what the situation for the UK is and how you’d go about enforcing it if needed.

You should search boards for Apple and small claims court, there was an interesting thread about what it’s like to deal with them once you’re out of warranty (warranty as opposed to your statutory rights - the 6 yr thing you’ve mentioned). The short of it being that if a manufacturing defect becomes apparent outside of your warranty period you will have to fight to get it fixed if Apple don’t want to acknowledge it.

EDIT: Found that thread - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200408/advice-regarding-consumer-rights-claim-vs-apple-on-a-macbook-pro/

Post edited by pleasant Co. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Hey thanks for your comment and pointing me to that thread, I also read some others I found and my conclusion is it's not really worth the hassle unless it has issues or dies very early but just passed its covered warranty period. From what I have read it can be a nightmare to get sorted this way, although some do have some luck with it. Anyways It's something that doesn't really matter until you actually get the product and own it for some time 😂

Good to know at least! Thanks for your time @pleasant Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think Apple offer a one year warranty. You can pay for a longer warranty (Apple Care). Consumer rights info is here:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html

In terms of reducing cost, perhaps look at buying a refurbished product on the Apple Store. I have had a positive experience buying refurbished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Many years back they replaced my 4S out of warranty. I had to ask to speak to a supervisor but once I mentioned Irish statutory rights it was quick.

Advertisement