If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Speakers

Options
  • 23-11-2022 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭

I've a general query regarding TV speakers. I am in the market for a new TV but it's so long since I bought one, I'm out of touch with the technology. Am I correct in saying that if I but a new TV, it is likely the sound will be poor compared to my old TV and I'll really need to get an external speaker? If so, I already have a 5.1 Dolby Surround System. But it's old and wouldn't have HDMI, it uses red/white etc AV leads to connect. Would this work on a modern TV? Or do I need to get a new system? Soundbars seem to be all the rage but I suspect my existing 5.1 system would be better... if I can hook it up? Better still, and this would be my preferred option and I'm not sure it is even possible...... Is there any TV out there that has an inbuilt 5.1 system that I can just plug my existing speakers/woofer directly into, thus ditching the external amp..... would like to tidy the area up and go for less clutter if possible

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Seve OB,

Thanks for the post.

The sound on any flat screen TV isn't fantastic but they are a lot better than they used to be. I would always recommend a soundbar or AV system as they will boost the sound considerably. A modern TV wouldn't work with an older AV system as they don't have analogue outs and there aren't any with built in amps, you would need to upgrade your AV receiver as well.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.