Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Bottas has a special helmet for testing incorporating his mullet and tache... Underrated sense of humour from him...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I read/heard something yesterday saying that only a few constructors have actually released their new upgraded car, most have just released their livery.

On an unrelated note, Ted Kravitz reckons that RB are 'nigh on unbeatable" for the season ahead. Never thought I'd hear him go against the British contingent but there you go. I'd have to agree with him too, I've no idea what sort of improvements are possible for Ferrari and Mercedes, but I can't imagine them being able to close the gap from last season in just one off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am super interested in seeing what the RB is actually like. Ted Kravitz seems to think it will be the car to beat from what he has heard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks pretty cool that actually. You reminded me of something I saw on /r/formuladank the other day, no idea wtf is up with the cat but made me laugh.

I'd be happy if Ted was right but not holding my breath. That Ferrari was plenty quick last year, especially in qualifying, if they have sorted their engine issues for race conditions then it might be nip and tuck between them. Would laugh if Merc went backwards and one of the midfield teams replaces them as best of the rest.

Hoping Piastri exceeds expectations too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Getting in with a narrative before the season starts i suspect. When merc are winning races or are extremely close it will be the driver that is doing all the work in a car that should be no where near the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Pre-season testing begins today. Woohoo!

This is what RB have been hiding, pretty extreme undercut that runs the length of the sidepods. Interesting floor details as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It was touched on a few weeks ago when the main guys left WTF1, it looks like their new venture (mattP1tommy) is killing WTF1. Their view counts on videos appears to be consistently higher and the current active viewers on their live streams on twitch is around 250 on WTF1 and over 3000 for Matt & Tommy.

Whatever happened to their relationship, looks like WTF1 are screwed..

I know it means not a lot but nice pace from the Red Bull so far. 😎🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Ferrari just announced that Rueda has been "moved to a factory role".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Are those aero rakes near the rear wheel or are they part of the package

Yeah sensors I reckon as they're not on the car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Williams in 3rd 😯🙂

You just know that Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and maybe even Albine have got more to give if that's the case unless Williams have made huge progress in which case that really would make this a great season as no one team would be the slowest at every track.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭This is it

They're running on the softest tyres too, with everyone else on the C3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

It's the very first morning of testing, absolutely none of the times mean anything. Verstappen was fastest, but was still 2.5 seconds slower than his own qualifying lap around the same track last year.

Alonso has gone second, I know it is testing but that was some lap.

Apparently as well, Lance Stroll has broken both his wrists from that accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In fairness, that's not far off. Usually on the first day of testing they could be anywhere from 4-10 seconds off their actual pace. They must have had to cut the foreplay with the reduced testing days.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the times, reliability seemed to be pretty good today? I don't think there were many red flags, one for Drugovich in the morning for sure. Max was the only driver doing morning and afternoon, he has the morning again tomorrow and then Perez get's the remaining 3 sessions.

McLaren had brake issues again in the afternoon, same as last year I believe.

Max Verstappen (Red Bull) - 1:32.837 (157 laps)

Fernando Alonso (Aston Martin) +0.029, (60 laps)

Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) +0.416 (72 laps)

Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.430 (64 laps)

Lando Norris (McLaren) +0.625 (40 laps)

Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.671 (83 laps)

Alex Albon (Williams) +0.834 (74 laps)

Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo) +0.886 (67 laps)

George Russell (Mercedes) +1.337 (69 laps)

Logan Sargeant (Williams) +1.487 (75 laps)

Nico Hulkenberg (Haas) +1.587, (51 laps)

Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) +1.721, (71 laps)

Nyck de Vries (Williams) +1.722, (85 laps)

Felipe Drugovich (Aston Martin) +1.727, (40 laps)

Yuki Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri) +1.834, (46 laps)

Pierre Gasly (Alpine) +1.985, (60 laps)

Esteban Ocon (Alpine) +2.034, (53 laps)

Oscar Piastri (McLaren) +2.051, (52 laps)

Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +2.250, (57 laps)

All drivers covered by 2.25 seconds is unheard of on the first day of testing.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

That new Redbull looks an absolute beast and certainly the one to beat along with great reliability.

Mclaren going nowhere with their current management structure. I see them as the next Williams.

You think so? That might be a bit harsh. People underestimated Zak Brown from the Drive to Survive series and he was called a spoofer in this thread. I think he's done pretty well.

There are rumours (only rumours so far) about mclaren exploring Red Bull Powertrain for 2026. That will be worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The Ferrari looks fantastic on track but it will probably be another year of disappointment as a ferrari fan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Interesting that Max did almost twice the laps than anyone else. I might be jumping to conclusions a bit but it perhaps suggests they're either very happy or not happy at all with their car. It's very hard for a fan to take anything from these sessions though, even practise sessions tell us nothing.

DTS Season 5 dropping tomorrow for those with an interest. Max supposedly taking part for the first time.

Max’s lap count was because he was driving both sessions whereas other teams split the day between their drivers. Still, great reliability. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McLaren are a disgrace. They were in a bad way when Brown came but he did little but sell the property out from under themselves and load themselves with debt.

Norris is going to fall out with them if he is not wining races this year.

• Advertisement

He was only a few dozen laps short of what they usually get in the endurance races at the same track. That is pretty impressive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement