Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Seemingly he went on the softest possible compound with a thimble full of fuel in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Big problems for Maclaren, looks like we wont see them in any competitive form until the 4th race of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They have gone backwards it seems. Going to be another year of Norris holding the team I think, and you’d have to wonder how long he will want to hang around for that. He would fit in well at Merc perhaps if Hamilton is close to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

McLaren had a difficulties in testing last year too but if Ricciardo had done better they would have easily had 4th. It could be the same again this year but with more competition from Aston Martin. Getting the wind tunnel up and running this season should put them in better place for next season.

Looking at the overall testing times. Perez was a couple of tenths up on last years pole position time. The only one so far to beat that time. I would say there is plenty more time in the car in Verstappen hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It’s a good sign of Perez is that fast already. Or maybe more so, a worrying sign.

I still think Aston Martin will be the biggest gainers this year, some data has them 3rd fastest on race pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

could be the same again this year but with more competition from Aston Martin.

And Alpine will be there too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Report that Red Bull want to sell Alpha Tauri or move it to England

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think the fact they went with Checo rather than a RB driver spelt the end for Alpha Tauri

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Alpine will need to sort out the bouncing issue first. It looked the worst car for it throughout the testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Makes sense to sell it. No driver at that team is going to get a seat in a RB.

Sell which cuts costs, remain as a supplier which generates revenue. Its a good PU and the car is setup for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Stellantis should buy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seems to be lots of paddock that Aston look the real deal, some even saying they'll be challenging Mercedes which is mad when you think about it. Alonso showed last year he still has it about him, could be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thst seems to be the chat alright. I'd believe it when I see it in a proper race weekend. Hoe alonso can keep it going. He's really surprised me with his performance in spite of his age. It would be class of he has a front running car again.

I'd imagine the big teams will sort out their problems and unlock the performance in te design faster than the small teams. So if AM is fast they need to make hay while the sun shines. Last time AM had a fast car (the pink mercedes) they really struggled to develop and moved back down the packing order throughout the season. Interesting to see if they can develop this time.

We only have to wait a week to find out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm interested in the Alfa purely from what i can see on design and testing (understanding testing not being a benchmark)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Drugovich being lined up for a race drive next week if Lance is not fit to drive. Couple that with a car that might challenge the best of the rest, show up Alonso while he's at it, Drugovich might have the chance of a lifetime!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

It all depends on Alonsos pace but if the rumours about how quick the Aston is are true, then Drugovich should be at least targeting a points finish.

He doesn’t have a chance at that seat long term, Lance probably has one of the most secure seats on the grid but a decent performance might have him in mind for Alfa/AT/Haas in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No there probably isn’t space for him at AM but he’ll have seen how De Vries managed to put in a great performance when he was called in last year for Williams and it basically landed him a seat at Alpha Tauri. Drugovich will be keen to do the same I think. If Lance has one or two broken wrists he might miss more than one race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

Sim Run , Tuesday or Wednesday to prove Fitness for Lance then Drugovich will be confirmed or unconfirmed after that.

then again Button Raced with a broke hand , I can only imagine the pain of it , Wrist damage can be worse .

https://racingnews365.com/when-button-raced-with-a-broken-hand-at-the-japanese-gp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Buzzing for quali this weekend now. I suspect the AM rumours to be slightly overblown but still should be a comfortable 4th.

McLaren and Alpine are the interesting ones, McLaren looks like a fair step backward, everyone at Alpine seemed relatively happy even though they had the slowest lap time recorded over testing.

Would hope to see Williams jump to start battling some midfield cars too.

• Advertisement

Yeah , Mclaren were supprising 2 years in a row as someone else above mentions with Front brake issues.

AM do look like the took a step forward ...a fairly big one. Alpine are a bit strange . Pit talk if you can believe what I say on SKY coverage was they were a team to watch , but never really showed anything smooth over the Test days , and In my boredom I watched a lot of it ..........way too much . Then again I read nothing , or watched nothing since the last race of 2022 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

From what I've heard about Alpha Tauri it's not so much about any recent issues with the team or the young driver program, but more to do with the new management direction at Red Bull since Dieter Mateschitz passed away.

He was always a huge F1 fan and most of Red Bull's investment in the sport was more of a passion project than anything else. The sport has been really lucky to have a billionaire invest so much into it over the past few years the way he has, but suddenly we now have an energy drink company wondering why it needs to run 2 F1 teams along with maintaining one of the greatest F1 tracks while also supporting countless teams and drivers in feeder series.

Red Bull has been unique in recent years with the sort of passion, sportsmanship and culture of an old school privateer team combined with the finances to actually compete with the soulless manufacturers who are only there for a return on investment and who would otherwise dominate thanks to their wealth and political clout. I did wonder when hearing the news about Mateschitz last year if we'd start to see things changing and I suspect Alpha Tauri is just the start of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Spanish Grand Prix is dropping the sector 3 chicane and going back to racing around the outside of the corners.

If it's broken wrists he could be out for months. Wrists are notoriously tricky and slow to fix. Depending on the injury, a wrist might never get full movement back which could be a major problem.

I haven't heard and confirmed reports about his injuries so we'll have to wait and see what comes out next weekend.

Delighted about that, that chicane ruined the lap imo. Back to proper fast final too corners, a bit like the Red Bull Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I dunno, it was a dreadful circuit before they added the chicane too. I remember through the 90s and early 2000s the Spanish GP would routinely be the most boring on the calendar, with a few rare exceptions. The chicane was introduced to remedy the problem, it didn't really help but I don't think going back to the old layout is going to achieve much either. Maybe with the ground effect cars we'll see something different.

That's true it did used to be a bore fest, although as long as schumi was winning I didn't care. 😁 I'm just happy they've gone back to challenging fast corners. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Turkish grand prix, that had some great fast corners iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Team rankings according to The Race, with adjustments for track conditions, wind, tyres etc:

1. Red Bull

2. Ferrari, +0.45s

3. Aston Martin, 0.66s

4. Mercedes, +1.00s

5. Alfa Romeo, +1.34s

6. Haas, +1.39s

7. Alpine, +1.62s

8. McLaren, +1.67s

9. Williams, +1.67s

10. AT, +1.91s

Take from that what ye will...

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if the red Bulls are bookending the grid. Presumably they share a lot of the information they're allowed to share. And the engine is strong.

Lots of questions ahead of the race this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement