Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Alpha Tauri were pretty poor last season though, so obviously they can't or don't share all that much 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

I have an odd Theory on that . In 2020 the Alpha Tauri was a fairly netural car and Gasly was fast in it , some time around the Race in Spa Alpha Tauri made an update to the front end and steering and how that operated making the Car really compeitive ( That update was credited to feedback from Dani Kyvatt) . Gasly excelled in the even more after that, but Dani Kyvatt was also in the mix for points at nearly every race after that .

The Car didnt change in 2021 , Kyvatt out and Yuki , Gasly still flying it. New cars comes in 2022 and while every team would have issues their cars, The Alpha Tauri did not progress over the season in 2022 and Given what is been said about Nyck De Vries and his comments on how poor the car was and what needed to be sorted , It might be that Gasly weakness is actually the developent of the car . Still very fast as a driver . Each driver has a weakness maybe thats his. Yuki was still quiet new to it maybe he was unsure as well.

Sorry long winded .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah there's a limit to what they can legally share and the teams have never been all that similar, at least not since around 2008 when the rules were more lax about it. Haas take as much as they legally can from Ferrari so those teams should have as much in common as AT and RB do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

Lot of options for that Purchase of Alpha Tauri , Honda themselves for 2026 - a team already familar with their engines and staff , Porsche as a way in . & solves a lot of Andretti problems .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was thinking for along the lines of a current title sponsor who happen to already be based in Italy, are shortly leaving F1, and have won championships before. Also wouldn't be much of name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Last season the cars were all new do from the ground up so unlike previous seasons they could not just copy and paste Red Bulls previous car with a few differences to look like there own. Everyone even Haas, Aston Martin and Dilliams had to design there own car from the ground up. There engines and gearbox and other little bits like that from there supplier teams being the only exception.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Race thread for Bahrain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I do wonder though, because Alpha Tauri get more wind tunnel time then the big brother is there anything stopping Red Bull from obtaining Alpha Tauri's wind tunnel data? I'm almost surprised we haven't heard that the chief aerodynamist has gone to AT on sabbatical followed by Red Bull starting to look like it's little brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I can imagine Oscar Piastri will be doubting his move (right now at least) to McLaren over Alpine. Could be a tough year ahead for him and McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The rules stop this. If they were caught there would be hell to pay...

Given the fact that they look for ways around rules, there haven't been many scandals around sharing (or selling) that kind of information.

There was the pink Mercedes breaks but that was a case of selling a part which then became prohibited to sell. So instead of calling off the deal, they pretended they developed it themselves and mocked up designs for a part they didn't build.

Part of means surprised there haven't been more of these scandals. People leaving a memory stick behind when having a coffee with a friend from the other team. Ferrari and Haas share a design building. Red Bull and Alfa tauri share branding. But they don't seem to have similar cars and the performance levels aren't the same.

It would be strange that they respect this rule and not the others.

Ms

Yep I said he would last year and still think he will now. Even with the few problems in testing that Albine had I still think they look like they have the faster better car over Mclaren.

Any other up and coming driver would have been very happy to be getting a seat in the 4th fastest team on the grid but Piastri nope he decided to go for the worse team.

Hopefully it all makes for an exciting season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Once he was out of contract he was free to choose which team he went with. He chose not to be strong-armed into going with Alpine. Instead he went with Mclaren and presumable had the ability to negotiate a contract on his own terms.

Whether mclaren or Alpine are faster this year, he had a choice and he was in control of his decision. I can't fault him for that.

Ms

Yes good point. Alpine did make a big mistake the way the went about it and it cost them to lose Piastri in the end to Mclaren. Maybe if they had negotiated with him he might have stayed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah I can’t blame him at all at looking for what was best for him, Alpine completely dropped the ball there.

It’s a shame the car isn’t there because they have 2 excellent drivers.

I still think it’s mad that Lando agreed to a 5 year deal with McLaren in the first place. He’s highly rated and considering his family’s loaded money isn’t an issue for him, I would have thought he’d want his options a bit more open if a top tier seat opened up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Contracts can always be bought out, there's probably even performance clauses in there should Maclaren not reach certain targets, Lando can go cheap etc.

It's better to have your seat guaranteed for 5 years particularly in the fickle world of F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you look at the context of when he signed that deal it was probably a good move at the time. There was a bit of a buzz around them then, Zak Brown had just come on board and everyone thought they were on the up.

Obviously that hasn’t been the way it’s turned out. They aren’t off to a great start this season and if this season is like last season for him I can definitely see him looking elsewhere regardless of his contract. If another team wants him enough and he wants to go then an arrangement can surely be made there.

Is Lewis’s contract up at the end of this season? If it is that could get interesting but I think Merc will still want to keep him.

I agree to a point - but such a long contract could mean that other teams who want him might decide it’s not worth the extra cost and hassle of buying his contract out.

He was young enough in fairness and still has plenty of time left in the sport. Just think you don’t want to be completely unavailable if a seat at a top team opens up.

Any driver who can command a 3+ year contract is obviously in a strong position on the negotiating table. Lando will 100% have a number of performance related clauses that allow him to walk away early in certain circumstances. If McLaren are 8th or lower going into the August break this season and Red Bull come knocking the door to replace Perez or Mercedes come knocking if Hamilton decides to retire then I'd imagine there would be clauses to allow him walk away for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Would the RB suit Norris? Obviously he would be going in as No.2 but verstappen did say he didn't want to spend his racing life in F1.

Verstappen is contracted to 2028 with RB so anyone coming in until then will be a no.2 driver you’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

You can be sure the Norris contract swings both ways for release clause

There was a mention on The Races podcast that Merc are courting Norris and Leclerc for a longer term contract. Only a rumour of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There's also the rumour that Lando might go to Sauber when they become Audi. Andreas Seidl went from McLaren to Sauber and seemingly he and Lando have a great relationship. But big risk for Lando, while Audi have a good Motorsport pedegree, you couldn't really see them competing for championships immediately..

Would love to see him in Mercedes against George, hopefully he'd wipe the floor with him (I don't like Russell).

• Advertisement

He has more character than Russell, mind you that wouldn't be hard. Russell is like a wax statue of himself, and with Hamilton being towards the ned of his career, Merc will be looking to seal that talent for the future.

As for Audi, they are a few years away from being in as a proper manufacturer, so for Norris he will have to weigh up his options because if he sits idle and McLaren are not really making the gains, he could be doing more damage to his career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement